Why canon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yoshiyuki Blade

bigblue1ca said:
Way back when..... in 2003 after holding out a year or two to buy a digital camera, based on reviews on DPR and price point I bought a Canon PowerShot A80 4MP. Great P&S at the time, I still like the colours of those images. Anyhow, I really liked it and that lead to me buying another Canon P&S which I also liked. So when I decided to step into the world of DSLR, it was natural to go with Canon.

Yeah, the A80 was the first Canon P&S camera that we got at the time. It gave some very clean images. I didn't mention this in my wall of text above, but we've gotten 2 more Canon P&S cameras after the A80 broke and neither of them seemed to match it in quality to my eyes. The 2nd one (A700) broke too and the 3rd one (A720 IS) still works fine. I later found out that the A80 had quite a large image sensor, which may have contributed to quality? I dunno for sure, but it was a purely subjective impression at the time.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I bought a Konica SLR when I was in high school and used it through college and my first two newspaper jobs. When I got a job as a photographer at a small daily, I knew I had to upgrade. As a poor, underpaid photographer with a family to support I had to make every penny count.

Added up the cost of what I needed from Canon and Nikon and figured out I could get an additional lens by buying Canon. Borrowed the money from the credit union and bought an F1, four lenses, and an AT-1 body as a backup.

Hard to imagine now, but at the time, hardly any news photographers used Canon (Nikon practically owned the business). Got lots of sneers from others, but it was what I could afford and it was far superior to the Konica.

When I got back into photography a few years ago, I never considered anything but Canon.

Upvote 0
K-amps said:
Neeneko said:
For me it was because I got a bunch of hand-me-down lenses to get me started.

To be honest, I kinda regret going with Canon, but at this point replacing all my lenses with Nikon equivalents would be costly.

Canon cameras lack a lot of capabilities that I would really like to have.

Like what?

I'd like to know too.

Besides the basic trait of Nikon differentiating performance tiers by resolution, and Canon by AF; there are no features I can think of that Nikon has, that Canon doesn't have on their equivalent model.

Upvote 0
N

Neeneko

K-amps said:
Like what?

The main two would be UV sensitivity and compatibility with a wide range of machine vision lenses. Nikon's F Mount in general has a much richer third party market since the mount is used by more manufacturers then just Nikon in their bodies. Many of these, like the noct and medical lenses do not really have Canon equivalents.

Trap focus would also be nice, but I understand there is a way to hack Canon bodies to do something similar.

Upvote 0
I had a Canon point and shoot (SD700IS) which was a great camera, but not so good in larger environments, so I'd been pondering a DSLR for a while. A friend of mine who is a sound engineer was at an event where one of his employees was taking pictures with a Canon DSLR, a telephoto lens, and a monopod. At first I thought that his tripod had broken and felt sorry for him :)
I then asked him about DSLRs and he was a big Canon fan. He said a lot of good things about it, but wasn't really objective, so I asked another friend of mine who is a professional photographer, and uses Nikon. He said that it boiled down to personal preference and need more than one brand being superior to the other. At the time I was looking at the Canon Rebel XSi (450D), and was comparing it to the Nikon D60, which was cheaper. While both cameras offered a lot to a newbie like myself, the Canon had more points of focus when compared to the Nikon. So I waited and waited, and then one weekend BestBuy dropped the price, and I had some Reward Zone certificates and a gift card, so I ended up buying the XSi with the kit IS lens and have never regretted it!
I recently upgraded to a Canon 7d, and to be honest, I didn't even look at the Nikon equivalent. I don't mean that in a negative way, it was just because I could use my existing lenses on the 7d, and I have a friend who has one and loves it!

Upvote 0
K

karminator

Had a Nikon 35mm film point & shoot for years. Just loved it, one of the best cameras I ever owned. After many years it broke.

In the early days of digital, my sister had a Canon PowerShot & loved it. I played with it and decided to get one.
I really liked the User Experience - small form factor, even from the little arrow on the battery to let you know the correct way to align it in the camera.

When going to SLR, I read one site that mentioned you are not buying a camera, but an entire system - lenses, flash, bodies, etc. The overall Canon system was superior, and I already had good experiences with the brand.

Now I'm into it too deep w/ lenses, etc. to ever change. Bodies come and bodies go, sometimes Nikon is ahead, then Canon responds.

Overall, I'm very happy.

Upvote 0
Neeneko said:
K-amps said:
Like what?

The main two would be UV sensitivity and compatibility with a wide range of machine vision lenses. Nikon's F Mount in general has a much richer third party market since the mount is used by more manufacturers then just Nikon in their bodies. Many of these, like the noct and medical lenses do not really have Canon equivalents.

Trap focus would also be nice, but I understand there is a way to hack Canon bodies to do something similar.

Ok, perhaps a fringe case... but that's a really good reason if applicable.

Magic Lantern provides trap focus (and a bunch more cool features).

Upvote 0
my reason is simple.... For those of you who started with point and shoot, I had A300 using 2 AA batteries and slowly upgraded to S45 (4MP and wow,,, that's was a brick point and shoot).... and every year I was upgrading to S55 and S770 and so on....

Finally I gave in and decide to upgrade to EOS body to 60D and found out I need to upgrade my lens and never looked back..... Just royal Canon user for 10+ yrs.

Upvote 0
bvukich said:
K-amps said:
Neeneko said:

To be honest, I kinda regret going with Canon, but at this point replacing all my lenses with Nikon equivalents would be costly.

Like what?

I'd like to know too.

Besides the basic trait of Nikon differentiating performance tiers by resolution, and Canon by AF; there are no features I can think of that Nikon has, that Canon doesn't have on their equivalent model.

One stands out to me: (more so because there are Third Party hacks for it) Nikon Mid range bodies can do more than 3 AEB's, something that I have always wanted. Canon does 3 AEB for all bodies except the 1D series, where it allows 7 AEB. Why not allow a 5AEB in the mid-range line (Yes ML gives us that option, but it should be standard).

Upvote 0
K-amps said:
bvukich said:
K-amps said:
Neeneko said:

Like what?

I'd like to know too.

One stands out to me: (more so because there are Third Party hacks for it) Nikon Mid range bodies can do more than 3 AEB's, something that I have always wanted. Canon does 3 AEB for all bodies except the 1D series, where it allows 7 AEB. Why not allow a 5AEB in the mid-range line (Yes ML gives us that option, but it should be standard).

That was the only feature I could think of too, but since ML lets me do 9, I disregarded it.

Upvote 0
A year ago my neighbor was a photography enthusiast and he sometimes needs an assistant for some of his shoots so he asks for my help sometimes. I got interested in photography at that point and he recommended getting a canon 40D because that was the same camera he was using then. I found one on craigslist for $400 and the seller was nice enough to sell me a 50mm f2.5 macro for $50. My neighbor had some L lenses that I was able to borrow as well. It made sense to stick with canon so both my neighbor and I can share lenses.

Now he uses a 7D and I upgraded to a 5d mkII recently. I borrow his 7D when I need speed, and he borrows my 5D mkII if he needs a wider frame.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
bvukich said:
Ok, perhaps a fringe case... but that's a really good reason if applicable.

Magic Lantern provides trap focus (and a bunch more cool features).

Is this feature actually available for the 5D mkII? I thought the focus stuff was for older camera last time I checked on the magic lantern website...or maybe it was the big sign that this firmware can damage my camera permanently that got to me!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.