Why upgrade for more MP

It was eight years ago that I upgraded to a Canon 1Ds Mark III...I wanted a camera that convinced me that any errors were my fault.
At the same time I got addicted to Photoshop. That addiction has lead me to realize that a high MP camera isn't necessary.
Using but two lenses, 180 macro or a 300 mm f/2.8 enables me to create images as large as I want via stacking and merging.

Why would anyone upgrade when you could accomplish the same thing in a more inexpensive way?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
chauncey said:
... to create images as large as I want via stacking and merging.

Why would anyone upgrade when you could accomplish the same thing in a more inexpensive way?
It all depends on the way and the subjects you're shooting.
I could name a lot of things where "stacking and merging" does not work.

To me for example photography is about doing photography and capturing the moment and not doing Photoshop or else.
But for me also high MP is not that important.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Because a lot of subjects can't be stacked and merged!

+1 and not all have the 300mm f2.8 or any of the big whites, plus its about detail, stacking landscape will not increase detail as a high MP camera well, unless you do huge Panos, which is alright but you get more trouble in post, and its not easy to execute.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
For myself it would be because the pixel density on that format (and so magnification) is going some way towards overcoming the Bayer Array effect, resulting in better colour definition principally. However, how large do you have to print to see the benefit of this ? Maybe not as much as you might think, but I've still got great concerns over the file sizes more many practical purposes.

Also for still subject that require great definition -,ie landscape, you can stitch with a lower MP camera and the greater magnification required to suit the format you are making also goes towards better colour definition, because in a similar way you are putting more pixels on target.

So which would produce the best image of a predominantly still subject; a £1,000 6D with a three frame portrait orientation stitch or a single frame from a £3,000 5Ds ?

Upvote 0
chauncey said:
I could name a lot of things where "stacking and merging" does not work
For the non professional, the only scenario that it would not work are action images, but...
when have you last seen a 20x30 image of a BIF hanging in a LR?

I wouldn't regard, say, landscape with a light breeze blowing all the leaves around "action", but it makes for an awful lot of post processing work.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
rfdesigner said:
chauncey said:
For the non professional, the only scenario that it would not work are action images, but...

I wouldn't regard, say, landscape with a light breeze blowing all the leaves around "action", but it makes for an awful lot of post processing work.

not to mention that nice seaside image with the waves breaking over the rocks........

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
chauncey said:

Trees move in the breeze, water moves in rivers and the ocean, people move in portraits. There are far more situations where stacking/stitching doesn't work than where it does work.

The last time I saw a 24x36 image of a BIF hanging in a living room was.....just before I left my house this morning. :D

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Trees move in the breeze, water moves in rivers and the ocean, people move in portraits. There are far more situations where stacking/stitching doesn't work than where it does work.
One of my first attempts at stitching images together ended up with the cat appearing in several places..... Things move!
neuroanatomist said:
The last time I saw a 24x36 image of a BIF hanging in a living room was.....just before I left my house this morning. :D
Looking at one now.... on the back wall of the lab..... of an Osprey carrying a fish and flying in front on one of the 15 meter dishes.....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
zim said:
Sporgon said:
So which would produce the best image of a predominantly still subject; a £1,000 6D with a three frame portrait orientation stitch or a single frame from a £3,000 5Ds ?

Or a three frame portrait orientation stitch from a £3,000 5Ds ;D

Obviously the correct answer is a single SuperRAW frame from a £500 DxO ONE. ;)

Upvote 0
There are a lot of reasons, especially when things are moving or you are moving. Group shots, action shots, intimate shots, any shot where you want more detail, the higher resolution bodies will give you more dots. I've done gigapans and the post on them sucks - partially because I use a 51MP camera to start with.

Photography is all about trade offs - it always has been, it always will be, otherwise we'd shoot everthing at ISO25,000, f/11 and 1/2000th.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
chauncey said:
If you call
- children
- animals
- events
- concerts
- floating water
- drifting clouds
- trees in the wind
- macro
- shall I continue...???

When you call all these "action images" then your world seems to be quite frozen. Poor world you live in... :(

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
chauncey said:
Using but two lenses, 180 macro or a 300 mm f/2.8 enables me to create images as large as I want via stacking and merging.

Assuming stitching multiple frames accomplishes the same thing as having a single higher-res file (which, notwithstanding pixel level translations like the method Hassleblad employs, it doesn't), what camera upgrade are you referring to which is relatively less expensive than a 300mm f/2.8?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
chauncey said:
All I'm suggesting is that, in most circumstances, becoming proficient at Photoshop, although quite time consuming, is far less expensive that is upgrading to a higher MP body.

Rather, in certain specific circumstances. It's quite clear from the examples above that 'most' circumstances would benefit more from a higher MP single frame than merging images in post.

Upvote 0