Wide angle lens

Random Orbits said:
The Rokinon is much better of the two for astro, but the 17-40 is more versatile for most other things. Can you afford both? 14mm is much wider than 17mm, so each has their uses, but given your preference for landscape over astro, I'd suggest the 17-40 if you could only get one.

Given how much I've already spent this year Id prefer to only buy one. :)

Upvote 0
Chisox2335 said:
Random Orbits said:
The Rokinon is much better of the two for astro, but the 17-40 is more versatile for most other things. Can you afford both? 14mm is much wider than 17mm, so each has their uses, but given your preference for landscape over astro, I'd suggest the 17-40 if you could only get one.

Given how much I've already spent this year Id prefer to only buy one. :)

I will have to look into the tokina. Thanks for the recommendation.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
That is the one. I have the Samyang version and love it. I don't use it often but when I do, it produces great pics with a unique perspective. If you are used to shooting manual, no problem. The manual focusing takes a bit of practice. For a tip, do that in live view and magnify to 10X. F8 is about the sweet spot. The distance marks on the focusing ring tend not to be that accurate so experiment with it before you go after the money shots.

sek

Upvote 0
I have the Rokinon 14 mm 2.8 and it's a stunning lens. It's the "go to lens" for night skies. For daytime use, live view is good to nail the manual focus. Really good sharp images wide open & even better at around 5.6 - 8.0. Chromatic aberration is almost non-existent and really nice results when shooting star fields or vintage cars with lots of chrome.

CAMELOPARDALID meteorite 2011a 23-24 May 2014 Bear River Dam © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal Photography, on Flickr

Motherlode Cruise 2013 img2074 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal Photography, on Flickr

Rokinon 14mm f2.8 & Canon 5D Mark III © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal Photography, on Flickr

I also have the Tokina 16-28 f2.8. This is a really good value for the price. I think is really gives Canon lenses a run for the money. The distortion isn't bad at 16 mm and might be a good choice for landscapes. The AF seems to be right on a pretty quick. It's well built and weighs an even 2 pounds!

NASA glider sunset Edwards AFB V3 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal Photography, on Flickr

B-29 FiFi Cockpit © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal Photography, on Flickr

Canon 5D Mark III & Tokina 16-28 f2.8 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal Photography, on Flickr

Upvote 0