Will not buy Canon gear at launch.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Yeah! I can understand your anger.
Luckily I was calm enough to buy both my FF 5D2 and 5D3 and most of my new lenses except for the 100L Macro almost one year after release for a good price.
But I can remember back then that after 6 months there was not so much of any big price drops then.
So it seems that times are changing faster now or that Canon was not able to address the customers they wanted to buy the 5DS/R with the original package.

Let's see how it will be with a 5D4 or a 1DX2, because here the addressed market shou,d be wider and the "results" of price drops more normal. So we can make our conclusions on the 5DS/R.

Upvote 0
I tend not to buy any techno-toy when it first comes out. Companies these days are cutting QC and wanting to "beat the competition" are releasing faulty products. Evidently today's customers are willing to accept paying to beta test products until they are fixed.

There are some people who want to be the "first kid on the block" to have something. That's great as long as they understand the costs and the risks. I would rather not be the First Kid on the Block to have to send in a product for repairs, thank you. ;D

Personally, I appreciate these early buyers. They pay the costs and take the risks of beta testing products. After a while I get a better product at a lower price. So I encourage everyone to buy techno-toys as soon as they are announced. Pre-ordering if at all possible.

It really helps people like me out in the long run.

Upvote 0
sanj said:
Learnt my lesson with the price drops. Will not buy Canon gear at introduction. Just 6 months is enough for a price drop.
Just speaking out loud.

Dilbert was right when he said that it may be worth waiting few months before buying the 5ds/r.
I feel the same way as well.

The 5Ds R was sold to me at launch for what I thought was a good price.

A week later it was selling for below $3,075.

Not to mention I got the first batch of (defective) 7D Mark IIs.

WTF

When the 5D4 comes out I will ask for a quote and wait for better offers to be made. These things are not in short supply.

Upvote 0
Simply supply-demand principle. When 5D3 was released back in 2012, you were lucky if you could get your hands on one within the first 6 months at $3500. It was almost ridiculous if it were sold at this price today. But it was in extremely high demand at the time. 5Ds/r is a totally different animal amongst strong competitions and much more diversified prosumer digital camera market today. Waiting out is a great idea for any newly released camera, by any manufacturer, not just Canon.

Upvote 0
A lot of it might depend on where you live and currencies. The USD had been weakening for so long, that it's gain against currencies in the last few years feels a lot different. It used to be said that supertelephotos held their value, but with the strengthening USD, prices have been falling. The 600L II was 13000 for a long time, but now you can get it for 10500 through CPW. That person's experience will be a lot different than the person who bought the first version for 7000 in 2008 and saw it "appreciate" to 8000 in 2010.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
sanj said:
Learnt my lesson with the price drops. Will not buy Canon gear at introduction. Just 6 months is enough for a price drop.
Just speaking out loud.

Dilbert was right when he said that it may be worth waiting few months before buying the 5ds/r.

This is true for cars, TV sets, computers, and a host of other products that have new models churning out. The price starts high and declines as time for another new product to appear.

Sales levels can also cause price drops as can changes in currency values can raise or lower prices. Put currency values and slow sales together, and its a double whammy.

I purchased a used Kodak DCS 460 a few years back for $100. It was from 1995, and was amazing in that it was a 6MP color DSLR. Initially, they sold for $35,500, but within a very few years, they were $2500. They used the old tif raw format, and its still supported by Adobe.

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
pdirestajr said:
If you stay a generation behind in camera bodies you will never be disappointed.

I'm still getting paid using a 5Dii. Only if my clients knew....they wouldn't care!

Exactly what I've been doing. I'm not a pro, but my skills haven't developed enough to warrant a better camera pair yet (5D and 60D). Funny thing is that my T1i I did buy new and it cost the same price as my other two combined. My wife and kids use the T1i now.

Upvote 0