Will there be any announcements from Canon ahead of CP+ this month?

Maps

EOS M7 (please)
Jan 10, 2021
I guess they go the same way now like they did with the EF system: the will probably come up with a crop RF mount camera. Economically it would make much more sense than keeping two incompatible systems alive, in such a tight market now.

I have no allusions about anything new coming to the M line. All I would ask for at this point is a statement about what their plans are going forward. How long will they continue manufacturing the current products? Do they see an “M-mount type” camera coming to the RF line down the road? Not just APS-C; but “value-oriented” APS-C. Or value-oriented FF for that matter. Of all the crazy things people demand of Canon, I feel like a paragraph, even a tweet, providing some guidance is not that unreasonable.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I can't speak for Sony, but I was a happy ish 5DS R shooter for quite a few years before I switched to Fuji, and in all honesty it's not 1/2 stop of dynamic range extra. The files a miles ahead. Of course you can use ND grad filters, bracketting (which I have done for years with the 5DS R), but it's nice to have so much lattitude straight in camera.
The other advantage of the Fuji system is the aspect ratio which I find more pleasing as the 3:2 is quite elongated (but that is only my view).
For wildlife and fast action however, Canon all the way. The Autofocus is reaching incredible levels.
Which FujiFilm bodies specifically are you referring to?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Of all the crazy things people demand of Canon, I feel like a paragraph, even a tweet, providing some guidance is not that unreasonable.
I wouldn't wonder if they already have decided for APS-C cameras for the RF mount - why not also budget ones, like the Rebel series? But they may keep still for a while, so they can sell all M stuff off the shelves until it is over. But that's my guess and may not be correct.

Upvote 0

Maps

EOS M7 (please)
Jan 10, 2021
I wouldn't wonder if they already have decided for APS-C cameras for the RF mount - why not also budget ones, like the Rebel series? But they may keep still for a while, so they can sell all M stuff off the shelves until it is over. But that's my guess and may not be correct.

I don’t blame anyone for thinking that “Rebel-type” cameras will be around forever. It’s certainly sound logic based on the past. But the future? How much of that market no longer exists due to phones? And what are the margins on a “budget” APS-C camera? How much profit does selling, say, a billion Rebels actually net at the end of the day, compared to selling ten R5s? Also my opinion. Also may be wildly incorrect. And I should also point out… I hope I’m wrong.

Upvote 0
I'm not asking for much, just the R6 in the Refurb Store. I have determined it will be the replacement for my 5D3. Not one to fall into the >MP trap.

The R5 is amazing. I got a 6DII last 3 years ago because I knew I was getting the flagship Canon once it had proper eye Tracking, the R had the dumb slide bar, the RP was a step back from the 6D, the R6 was so many less Mpix than my 6D... so the R5 was my choice. saved for 3 years to make it happen and it's well worth it.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't know I think the 600 and 800 f11 lenses are pretty cool.
They certainly are not garbage for people who want those focal lengths on a budget. I am always amazed at folks who seem to think everyone else can afford to drop $10k+ on a prime lens just because they can. I’d certainly get one if I had that need. The budget model, that is. I’d prefer a Bentley, but my Hyundai will have to do. I get from A to B just like they do. Like you, I think those lenses are pretty cool . I’m glad there are price points for just about anyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
How about an indication they will be releasing some decently fast superteles, and not necessarily f/4, just not f/11 garbage.

R5 fw updates needs to allow for slower ES speeds, adding a 10fps mode would be perfect.
Understand your request and/or need for faster superteles but don't think I'd refer to the current F11 crop of tele's as garbage. Every review I've seen on the 600 and 800 F11's look pretty good, especially given the price and the fact they are very affordable.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I would love a 3 series semi pro body comeback. The EOS 3 is one of the finest cameras I have ever used.
Concur. I loved both of my EOS 3 film bodies and, at such a reasonable price. Over the yrs, I have been greatly surprised that no Digital Canon Camera, has included the great optional eye controlled focus feature like that contained in the EOS 3 and Elan 7e bodies.

Upvote 0
They certainly are not garbage for people who want those focal lengths on a budget. I am always amazed at folks who seem to think everyone else can afford to drop $10k+ on a prime lens just because they can. I’d certainly get one if I had that need. The budget model, that is. I’d prefer a Bentley, but my Hyundai will have to do. I get from A to B just like they do. Like you, I think those lenses are pretty cool . I’m glad there are price points for just about anyone.

Even budget aside, I hike a lot with my 500mm lens. It produces spectacular images, but it is heavy. I think I am going to get the 600. I envision RF 24-105, 100-500 and 600 or 800 f11. That is an exceptional 3 lens kit. I don't care who you are..

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Even budget aside, I hike a lot with my 500mm lens. It produces spectacular images, but it is heavy. I think I am going to get the 600. I envision RF 24-105, 100-500 and 600 or 800 f11. That is an exceptional 3 lens kit. I don't care who you are..
If you're thinking of the 600 f11 or the 800 f11 to complement the 100-500, I'd suggest the 800 to have more separation from the 100-500.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I don’t blame anyone for thinking that “Rebel-type” cameras will be around forever. It’s certainly sound logic based on the past. But the future? How much of that market no longer exists due to phones? And what are the margins on a “budget” APS-C camera? How much profit does selling, say, a billion Rebels actually net at the end of the day, compared to selling ten R5s? Also my opinion. Also may be wildly incorrect. And I should also point out… I hope I’m wrong.
I would have never bought an R5 if I never bought a Rebel.
There have to be entry-level cameras of some sort.
Those tend to be low margin and high volume.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Maps

EOS M7 (please)
Jan 10, 2021
I would have never bought an R5 if I never bought a Rebel.
There have to be entry-level cameras of some sort.
Those tend to be low margin and high volume.

Agree; I followed a similar path and I’d wager almost everyone here has an analogous story with a few details swapped based on their birth year. But… that all happened in the past, and this was kind of my point. I’m guessing people like you and I will still exist in the future, but their story will be: “My first camera was an iPhone 14; I loved it, I used it to learn photography but I eventually outgrew it and bought an R6 mkIII.”

I think if camera companies want to survive, they have to build their brand around this narrative. A lot of recent moves that have confused and upset people start to make more sense when you consider this “new reality”. I think your logic is really good, I just think your timing is wrong.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I own the GFX 100
In that case you are quite correct, the DR improvements over Canon FF sensors is considerably more than 1/2 stop. But then it should be, however when you throw in the additional resolution and bit depth there really is no comparison between a $4,000 FF sensor and a $10,000 MF one.

Of course now there is the option of the GFX 100S that price difference has been considerably eroded and lens prices for Canon are not cheap, indeed were I primarily a landscape shooter I think I’d have to go for a GFX100S over an R5 any day, BIF, generalist, etc etc, not so much, but for landscapes I think FujiFilm have the market cornered for discerning shooters.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Agree; I followed a similar path and I’d wager almost everyone here has an analogous story with a few details swapped based on their birth year. But… that all happened in the past, and this was kind of my point. I’m guessing people like you and I will still exist in the future, but their story will be: “My first camera was an iPhone 14; I loved it, I used it to learn photography but I eventually outgrew it and bought an R6 mkIII.”

I think if camera companies want to survive, they have to build their brand around this narrative. A lot of recent moves that have confused and upset people start to make more sense when you consider this “new reality”. I think your logic is really good, I just think your timing is wrong.
I can see someone jumping from a $1K phone to a $1K camera but not to a $4K camera.
M6 II, 90D, and RP are all around that price point.
A big problem is that a $1K smartphone has the same specs as a $4K camera.
Most people who want cameras have $500 smartphones and end up with M200, M50, or a Rebel.
The biggest problem is that most people are perfectly happy with smartphones just like most people were perfectly happy with point and shoots.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I can see someone jumping from a $1K phone to a $1K camera but not to a $4K camera.
M6 II, 90D, and RP are all around that price point.
A big problem is that a $1K smartphone has the same specs as a $4K camera.
Most people who want cameras have $500 smartphones and end up with M200, M50, or a Rebel.
The biggest problem is that most people are perfectly happy with smartphones just like most people were perfectly happy with point and shoots.

And for the recent flagship phones with some form of "Night shot": they beat the R5 with a huge margin in those situations. I really hope this kind of computational photography comes to Canon cameras.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
And for the recent flagship phones with some form of "Night shot": they beat the R5 with a huge margin in those situations. I really hope this kind of computational photography comes to Canon cameras.
I do not find that to be true at all.
Try shooting in RAW and editing the photo in post.
The IBIS in the R5 even allows for longer handheld exposures.
"Night Shot" is meant for a tripod anyway.
Most modern ILC will embarrass an iPhone at high ISO at long exposure.
Maybe an entry-level full-frame camera that does all of that automatically is a good idea to bring new people in but pros and enthusiasts mostly want control over that type of thing.
M200 is an entry-level APS-C camera with features like that but it also has entry-level specs.
Even a fully spec'd out camera with computational photography would not be as convenient as a smartphone camera as we would still have to transfer the photos.

Upvote 0