Would you buy more EF lenses if new FF mirrorless uses a new lens mount?

This is an excerpt from an interview with Canon officials that was posted on DP Preview.

That’s a difficult question to answer. There was a lot of discussion and debate about that shift, in 1987, and we’re going through the same thing now. We want to nurture and support our [existing] EF customers and we’re in discussion about that at the moment.

Canon's recently-announced EF 85mm F1.4L, showing the electronic contacts which are a defining element of the EF lens system, first introduced more than 30 years ago to replace the all-mechanical FD lens platform.
In 1987, the shift was from a mechanical interface to an electronic interface. That [precluded cross-compatibility]. Despite that shift, the change provided significantly more value for our customers, which is why we went ahead. If it turns out that [the introduction of mirrorless] will create a similar situation, this might be a decision that we would take [again]. But we’re not sure yet.

Because we’re already using an electronic interface, the shift will be more gradual [than it was in 1987] so [we would better able to] maintain compatibility.

I think the most any of us can say is, they might decide to change the mount, they might not or they might do some kind of gradual change.

Or, until they decide we do not know what they will do.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
takesome1 said:
stevelee said:
I’m likely to last a few more years, but probably not a few more decades myself, so I’m not much worried.

Do not worry. The Grand Kids will be able to get adapters to use your lenses. Just like now if I wanted to use an FD mount lens they sell adapters.

No grandkids, and I doubt any relatives will be interested in my stuff. That’s why I’m leaving contents of my house to a couple friends who live nearer. Especially with my recent L lens purchases, I do need to let one of them know that he should be able to get decent money out of whatever equipment he doesn’t want to keep and use.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
YuengLinger said:
If Canon's new FF mirrorless camera does not use the old EF mount, would you continue to buy EF lenses?

Definitely not - because obviously Canon will at that point immediately stop making EF cameras; and any existing bodies we happen to own will obviously immediately not work any more...

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
YuengLinger said:
I think readers will see that I'm genuinely seeking a discussion about EF being replaced.

Nope, you're coming across an obsessive, to the point of trolling, about your current bête noire.

Any such discussion would be an utterly pointless speculation-fest, the only purpose of which would be to fuel your histrionic paranoia about an unknowable future.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
takesome1 said:
It came from the FD to EF mount change years ago. He was a Canon user and felt shafted by Canon

And I know a number of Nikon users who felt similarly indignant when Nikon changed their lens mount (and in particular, stopped making bodies that would drive old screw-drive AF lenses).

Guess what? They're over it.

By the logic of this point, everyone must hate Sony...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Keith_Reeder said:
YuengLinger said:
I think readers will see that I'm genuinely seeking a discussion about EF being replaced.

Nope, you're coming across an obsessive, to the point of trolling, about your current bête noire.

Any such discussion would be an utterly pointless speculation-fest, the only purpose of which would be to fuel your histrionic paranoia about an unknowable future.

In this forum we discuss the fine points of pretty much all aspects of Canon gear. How wide are the zoom rings? How far are they from the focus rings? Which way do they turn? How many AF points does the latest body have compared to the previous generation? What color is the paint on the lens? Does the lens hood have a little access window to adjust a CP?

All compelling topics to somebody, surely, but within the context of Canon, a new FF lens mount is a pretty big deal. They only come along every 30 years or so.

Apparently you aren't concerned about the likely upcoming change to Canon's FF mount for mirrorless. Perhaps you think it won't affect dSLR's for years, or that not many dSLR owners would soon change over to mirrorless. Reasonable viewpoints, shared by many in this thead, but I think if Canon has a huge hit with mirrorless, the native EF mount will be phased out sooner rather than later. Not only will that affect resale value, for those who consider that aspect of lens ownership, but it will give a reason to wait for new lenses to come out for the new mount.

What is it about the topic question that set you off?

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
YuengLinger said:
If Canon's new FF mirrorless camera does not use the old EF mount, would you continue to buy EF lenses?
Maybe wait a while to see how things play out?
Maybe wait for an adapter to be reviewed and have some time in the field?

Or do you believe a new FF mirrorless with a new mount would in no way affect the current dSLR lineup for many years to come?

would this lead to whole sale switch to Nikon if their ML used their dSLR lenses?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
RGF said:
YuengLinger said:
Maybe wait a while to see how things play out?
Maybe wait for an adapter to be reviewed and have some time in the field?

Or do you believe a new FF mirrorless with a new mount would in no way affect the current dSLR lineup for many years to come?

would this lead to whole sale switch to Nikon if their ML used their dSLR lenses?

Not sure why Canon owners with a quiver of EF lenses (especially L series) would see this as a good idea. Nikon seems to have already decided to go with a new mount. Nikon lens owners are going to face adapters and other non-native mount issues too.

My question is about EF lens owners buying more EF lenses if Canon is introducing a new FF mount--not leaving Canon.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
YuengLinger said:
but within the context of Canon, a new FF lens mount is a pretty big deal. They only come along every 30 years or so.

exactly. And guess how much resources Canon will have left to bring out new EF lenses when they got all hands full to churn out brand new EF-X glass and a few more EF-M as well? :)

Mirrorslappers are on the way out and so is EF. Just face it.

But if you plan to shoot DSLRs and long white glass, I would not be concerned to buy EF.
But WA to 100mm EF lenses ... no way.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
fullstop said:

The earth will be destroyed when the sun expands into a red giant. We know the latter will happen in about 10 billion years. We don’t know when...or even if...the former will happen. MILCs aren’t a paradigm shift, they’re a minor evolution. MILC sales haven’t even really increased since separate CIPA reporting started back in 2012. A Canon FF MILC is a niche product. Any ILC costing >$2K is a niche product, and your idea of a $999 FF MILC is a pipe dream. Just face it.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
neuroanatomist said:
fullstop said:

The earth will be destroyed when the sun expands into a red giant. We know the latter will happen in about 10 billion years. We don’t know when...or even if...the former will happen. MILCs aren’t a paradigm shift, they’re a minor evolution. MILC sales haven’t even really increased since separate CIPA reporting started back in 2012. A Canon FF MILC is a niche product. Any ILC costing >$2K is a niche product, and your idea of a $999 FF MILC is a pipe dream. Just face it.

Join me later this afternoon for tea in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
YuengLinger said:
neuroanatomist said:
fullstop said:

Join me later this afternoon for tea in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe?

Only if they serve fish, and I can express my gratitude for them as we say goodbye.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Keith_Reeder said:
takesome1 said:
"L" series lenses have been downgraded from "hold" to "sell" by many lens analyst.

And the proof of this is where?

Don't you know?

Used Canon EF "L" lenses are traded on the New York Stock exchange......

And they are holding their value better than Facebook today.

Upvote 0