Would you buy more EF lenses if new FF mirrorless uses a new lens mount?

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
YuengLinger said:
...But at some point, and I'm wildly guessing here, less than 10 years, EF is going to be adapter only on all but discontinued bodies. Somebody is going to be left holding a bag full of EF lenses...

"Wildly Guessing" is a massive understatement.

No one can predict whether or not mirrorless will someday overtake single lens reflex cameras. Right now, neither technology has a clear advantage over the other. It is entirely possible that mirrorless will become popular with some customers and SLRs will remain popular with others.

Eventually Canon and Nikon could incorporate mirrorless technology into the existing form factor of SLRs, so that people who use and prefer the SLR style of body can continue to do so seamlessly. This would happen only if mirrorless technology eventually gets to the point where it can comfortably replace SLRs with no compromises, and we are far from there yet. I can envision a 1Dx V that has no mirror in it, but looks virtually identical to the current SLR version and takes EF lenses natively.

At a minimum it would take Canon 10-15 years to convert it's entire EF lens line to a new mount and that is at a pace that exceeds their normal lens release pattern.

Ask yourself, if you were Canon, which would you do: convert dozens of lenses to a new mount or create three new camera bodies?

Customers may eventually have a choice of a small mirrorless body for shooting in the 24mm to 135/200mm range and a SLR clone body that natively accepts all EF lenses. Even Fullstop/AvTvM admits there is no reason to have special mirrorless lenses at the long and extreme short ends or even at large apertures.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Talys said:
YuengLinger said:
Kit. said:
YuengLinger said:
So, the consensus seems to be that Canon will release a FF mirrorless with a new mount,
No, there is no such consensus.

Neither is there a consensus that Canon will stop producing new SLRs.

I should have said, regarding a new mount, "within this thread." I don't think many posts I've read here say Canon is not going to have a new mount, but that the new mount won't affect the longevity of EF lenses.

AS for "stop producing new SLRs," I didn't make such a claim above; in fact, I said the consensus seems to be that Canon will keep making dSLRs and mirrorless FF together for a very long time. (Though I don't agree with that, unless 5-7 years is a very long time.)

CR guy has posted a couple of times now that his sources have told him that it's some kind of slick or sexy solution to deal with EF.

That would imply to me that there is likely a new/hybrid mount that is either straight-on compatible (can mount EF directly) or has some kind of cool, non-traditional adapter solution. Because sticking an adapter to increase FFD onto the body is about the furthest thing from sexy.

Haven't read this. Seems like it might be a very satisfying workaround solution from the one camera company that puts service so high up in their list of priorities. I'm loyal to Canon because of performance and service, and even if they aren't constantly bleeding edge, they keep excellent gear working year after year with CPS.

Upvote 0
IMO the transition from FD to EF is revolutionary because the AF mechanism. I think the transition from EF to any new mount will be evolutionary as long as we still control the lens by electronic signals. On the other hands, new mount may open up new optical designs for shorter focal length. So what I feel is the new mount allows easy designs of a better WA/UWA lenses, but I don't think it make much difference for teles.
I own and use DSLR and ML, and talked to people from varies of level. Most daily users/soccer moms like ML, while most pro/sports like DSLR. To me, the artificial image from EVL stopped me from getting further to ML, as well as the response curve, lag, contrast, etc. BUT, I do think the focus peak, real time histogram, enhanced night vision etc are undoubtable superior than DSLR. I am keeping my eye on the development of LCD tech. Until then, I bet DSLR is still favorable to real photographer. It is the same story of cell phone vs dedicated camera. I just had a birthday party at home this passing Saturday. Everyone including me used iphone for pictures, but when selecting which picture to put on to the web, they all came to my Canon files.
Back to the EF lens, I think it is safe to buy the long/big lenses, there will be no real difference either by size and/or weight, if there were a new mount coming out soon. But you can wait for a few months to see the new mount if you are going to purchase a short lens.
To me, the ML-SLR appears to be a new type of point-and-shoot or a cell phone with large sensor. It is supposed to be compact and light weight. When entering into good size and good control, big size and weight is inevitable, as well as good response, accurate rendition, etc. It seems Canon is trying a hybrid viewfinder, is that the real future?
I am a EE in the mil/space industry, I think I know electronic more than the optics, but I don't think we can put all our attention on sensor/IC/electronics of a camera.
So a new mount will be very much compatible with the EF, which we call backward compatible.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Don Haines said:
put it like this....

Canon came out with a mirrorless crop mount...

Sales of EF-S lenses are still going strong....

What would be different if a new Mirrorless mount came out?

"L" series lenses cost a lot more, and many of us have become accustomed to believing that we can resell them for a good price when desired.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
YuengLinger said:
unfocused said:
YuengLinger said:
...do you believe a new FF mirrorless with a new mount would in no way affect the current dSLR lineup for many years to come?

That is your answer.

You can lock the thread now. Let's not waste time on irrational fears. Take a Xanax and relax.

The common sense expectation is that Canon is going to make a gradual transition--not discontinue dSLR's right away. But with so many photographers other than hobbyists and working professionals happily using smartphones and other alternatives far easier to carry around than a 5DIV, how long can Canon maintain a dSLR line AND a FF mirrorless line...

Who's common sense expectation? Maybe that is your sense of the direction things are taking (phase out of DSLR and EF), but it obviously isn't the common sense around here.

Guess what? A smartphone will always be easier to carry around than any ILC, including MILC. Your point is moot.

My answer? Yes.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
Don Haines said:
put it like this....

"L" series lenses cost a lot more, and many of us have become accustomed to believing that we can resell them for a good price when desired.

If you are one of those people who believe your glass is an "investment".

"L" series lenses have been downgraded from "hold" to "sell" by many lens analyst.

Upvote 0
If Canon's new FF mirrorless camera does not use the old EF mount, would you continue to buy EF lenses?

For me the question is backwards. It assumes that I will buy mirrorless or at least that mirrorless will have an influence on my life. If Canon mirrorless does not support EF I won't buy mirrorless. I believe it will take a long time for Canon to convert the current lens lineup to a new mount. By the time they do I will be long done spending money on camera equipment and happily go through the rest of my life with a DSLR and EF glass.

Mirrorless has some interest for me but I've worked in tech for 30+years and am smart enough to not get caught in a technology freeze, always waiting for the next best thing since sliced bread. When I'm ready to buy I will buy into an available system that is best for me. Not to say I won't wait a couple of months for the 600 DO to roll out or maybe the next 7D but within a year I hope to be pretty much set with a top notch system that will last the rest of my life.

Resale doesn't play into the picture for me. Buy the tools now that you need (and can afford) to do what you want done. Deal with the future when it gets here because you never know how things will change between now and then.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:

Stock in Microsoft apple or Facebook is an investment, and yes in another sense a lens portfolio is a type of investment as well to some but a tool to others.

I think if you are worried about your lenses from an investment point of view and being hit by a sudden lens depression, then selling all but your most necessary lenses would be prudent.

I will be in the market to buy EF lenses the day after canon announces the new mount, and am expecting yard sale pricing. The only question is which lenses do I want!

I hope everyone buys the latest EF lenses before announcement so the new stuff is available...

Canon please release the 600 f4 DO before the new mount so many are orphaned.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
YuengLinger said:
Don Haines said:
put it like this....

Wearing my “pro” hat..... Lenses and camera bodies are a tool. You buy what you need to get the job done as long as it fits in your budget. As to who makes it, or guesses as to what will happen in the future, it really does not matter. You get what you need, when you need it, and get the job done. Today, I ended up ordering 8 more tripods and 8 more gearheads for a project.... I will probably never again need a dozen at once, but that does not matter, it’s getting the job done that counts..... same with cameras, same with lenses.... so yes, even if Canon did the insanely unlikely thing of announcing the end of all EF lenses next year, if I needed to buy a 600F4 for a project, I would.

At home, usage is a lot more varied and the budget is a lot lower. Obsolescence is a much greater worry and I tend to avoid companies with a history of dropping or not supporting products.... anyone want a used Sony Vaio laptop, or some 4/3 camera lenses from Olympus?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
takesome1 said:
YuengLinger said:
Don Haines said:
put it like this....

If you are one of those people who believe your glass is an "investment".

"L" series lenses have been downgraded from "hold" to "sell" by many lens analyst.

Canon owners have long enjoyed great resale value. This has nothing to do with "investments." We have known for years we can sell to upgrade or downsize and not face a huge loss. This has been one of the many benefits of owning Canon lenses.

On the other hand, working pros who profit from photography invest in gear just as any business invests in equipment. Different meaning from the resale angle, but still nothing to do with hoping to see an increase in value over time.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
YuengLinger said:
Canon owners have long enjoyed great resale value. This has nothing to do with "investments." We have known for years we can sell to upgrade or downsize and not face a huge loss. This has been one of the many benefits of owning Canon lenses.

On the other hand, working pros who profit from photography invest in gear just as any business invests in equipment. Different meaning from the resale angle, but still nothing to do with hoping to see an increase in value over time.

I'm not sure I agree with this perspective. I've never bought a single lens or camera thinking about resale value. And resale value would certainly never deter me from buying a camera or lens.

But, if that is an important factor for you, there is nothing about the introduction of a niche market mirrorless camera and the adoption of a new lens mount for a handful of lenses designed for that new camera that should deter you from buying the broader, more widely marketed and much more flexible EF mount lenses.

If you are really concerned about resale value, then don't invest heavily in the new mount. That's the untested market.

Upvote 0
A few years ago while sitting at the poker table I met a pro photog that owned a studio in town.

He hated Canon with a passion. His first question to me was what camera do I shoot.

His hatred didn't come from pixel count, dr or any of the other silly arguments we see now.

It came from the FD to EF mount change years ago. He was a Canon user and felt shafted by Canon, and his complaint was around all the investment he had in Canon gear going obsolete. (yes his gear was an investment since he was using it to generate income, if you are an amateur your equipment is not an "investment")

So to sum this story up, Canon didn't care much in the late 80's and early 90's that it upset loyal followers. Canon will gladly bring a new mount to market with a new FF mirrorless that creates new lens sales and more revenue, while making a few loyal followers mad.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
takesome1 said:
A few years ago while sitting at the poker table I met a pro photog that owned a studio in town.

He hated Canon with a passion. His first question to me was what camera do I shoot.

His hatred didn't come from pixel count, dr or any of the other silly arguments we see now.

It came from the FD to EF mount change years ago. He was a Canon user and felt shafted by Canon, and his complaint was around all the investment he had in Canon gear going obsolete. (yes his gear was an investment since he was using it to generate income, if you are an amateur your equipment is not an "investment")

So to sum this story up, Canon didn't care much in the late 80's and early 90's that it upset loyal followers. Canon will gladly bring a new mount to market with a new FF mirrorless that creates new lens sales and more revenue, while making a few loyal followers mad.

The EF mount is the Electo Focus mount. Changing from FD to EF allowed Canon cameras to AF electronically. FD was mechanical, EF is digital. Changing mounts brought a lot of new capability to the cameras. Canon had no choice in the matter, this was a case of adapt to the digital world or die. Those first EF lenses are still usable today and the mount has survived the change from film cameras to digital cameras.... One might even say that the EF lens lineup allowed Canon's success in a digital world.

Changing the EF mount to a new mount brings ZERO new features into play. They can mess around with the size of the mount, but it will only make a very few lenses smaller... and some will end up bigger, plus there is the increased vignetting and chromatic abberation of a shorter flange distance. In doing so, they would run the risk of alienating their user base and pissing them all off like your above mentioned friend, except that in this case, instead of introducing new features and capabilities with the change, they would just be fiddling around with it to cause discord.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Don Haines said:
takesome1 said:

The EF mount is the Electo Focus mount. Changing from FD to EF allowed Canon cameras to AF electronically. FD was mechanical, EF is digital. Changing mounts brought a lot of new capability to the cameras. Canon had no choice in the matter, this was a case of adapt to the digital world or die. Those first EF lenses are still usable today and the mount has survived the change from film cameras to digital cameras.... One might even say that the EF lens lineup allowed Canon's success in a digital world.

Changing the EF mount to a new mount brings ZERO new features into play. They can mess around with the size of the mount, but it will only make a very few lenses smaller... and some will end up bigger, plus there is the increased vignetting and chromatic abberation of a shorter flange distance. In doing so, they would run the risk of alienating their user base and pissing them all off like your above mentioned friend, except that in this case, instead of introducing new features and capabilities with the change, they would just be fiddling around with it to cause discord.

Thanks, Don. Once again, you are the voice of reason.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
takesome1 said:

So there is no new features that can be integrated in a 30 year old electronic mount?
In 1987 think about what computers were available. In the digital world that is ancient history.

Canon felt it was necessary to change in 1987, as you mentioned it was a success.
Would they do do it again if they believed it was necessary to keep up with the times and the current technology? Of course they would.

Are they going to change the size of the mount? I think that discussion is just background noise from those who like to speculate about things they have little inside understanding or knowledge of.

Upvote 0