Yongnuo announces the YN RF 85mm f/1.8R DF DSM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Yongnuo has announced the autofocus YN RF 85mm f/1.8R DF DSM lens. This also appears to be the first third-party lens with a control ring. You can select between manual focus or control ring functions with a switch on the side of the lens.
You can check out all of the known RF mount lenses here. Let me know if there are any lenses missing.
About the YN RF 85mm f/1.8R DF DSM
Small body, lightweight
This product is designed for RF mount mirrorless camera,the maximum diameter and length of the lens is about 67×88mm, and the net weight is only about 380g. The lightweight design is good for long-term handhold shooting and video recording.
Equipped with a control ring, supports silent operation
Users can assign common functions such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, etc. to the control ring according to their needs. Rotating the control ring can quickly adjust the corresponding...

Continue reading...

Sep 29, 2018
It's good to see some one else rolling out lenses for this system. Not only will they make a more affordable option but they will put pressure on Canon over their own prices. Also the third party guys some times come up with some really great formulas that Canon can't be bothered with. The Laowa probe lens being just one example.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
Been in the RF world for over a year now and still haven't touched a control ring. Reminds me of the Touch Bar on my last Mac. Something I had to pay extra for, but never used.
Wonder if it’s something that if you’re newer, you adapt to. I use it for exposure comp. Actually use it a fair bit.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Wonder if it’s something that if you’re newer, you adapt to. I use it for exposure comp. Actually use it a fair bit.
Quite possibly. The other issue is, I don't have one on all the lenses I use. So if my sense memory were to start getting used to it, I'd be frustrated the next time I used an EF lens. If all my lenses had one, I might assign it something and try and force myself.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

mpphoto

CR Pro
Dec 15, 2013
Been in the RF world for over a year now and still haven't touched a control ring. Reminds me of the Touch Bar on my last Mac. Something I had to pay extra for, but never used.
I thought I'd find the control ring useful for setting exposure compensation, but I found I never did it that way because it was hard to break from old habits. Instead, I'd press the shutter halfway and use one of the camera dials like on my EF bodies. Then one day I noticed I had some unexpectedly over- and under-exposed photos. I had accidentally turned the control ring and adjusted exposure compensation. I forget which lens it was. After that, I disabled the control ring to prevent future accidents since I wasn't using it anyway. I'm glad other folks are able to make use of it.

As for this Yongnuo, I'm happy to see another choice for RF lenses. Not sure I'd spend $400 for this because I'd rather spend more for the Canon and get IS plus a shorter MFD. I'm sticking with my EF 85mm f/1.8 and Sigma 85mm Art while I wait for the price of the Canon RF 85mm f/2 to drop a bit.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
It's good to see some one else rolling out lenses for this system. Not only will they make a more affordable option but they will put pressure on Canon over their own prices. Also the third party guys some times come up with some really great formulas that Canon can't be bothered with. The Laowa probe lens being just one example.
I am not so sure about that.
Decades of third party lenses haven't stopped them yet.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I use it for exposure comp, and it’s locked out unless the shutter release is partly depressed.
Ok not trolling, just something I've been wondering.

When and why do you use exposure compensation? Why not just set the exposure to what you want?

I've never really used it so not sure what it is there for....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0