Your best animal shots!

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks. I needed a refresher I had slipped into thinking only the lynx had the ear tufts.

Little story; when I was about 14, I was zooming around a little lake near Edmonton, Alberta (Half Moon) and I spotted something in the water. When I got close, I couldn't believe my eyes - it was a Lynx and it had swum about 1/4 mile and eventually completely across the lake. Raced back to the cabin to retrieve others to see it and when we arrived back it was hi-tailing it into the bush. Only sighting in my 67 years. Now was it actually a lynx?! ;)

Have you seen this? https://tinmanlee.com/bobkitten/

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks. I needed a refresher I had slipped into thinking only the lynx had the ear tufts.

Little story; when I was about 14, I was zooming around a little lake near Edmonton, Alberta (Half Moon) and I spotted something in the water. When I got close, I couldn't believe my eyes - it was a Lynx and it had swum about 1/4 mile and eventually completely across the lake. Raced back to the cabin to retrieve others to see it and when we arrived back it was hi-tailing it into the bush. Only sighting in my 67 years. Now was it actually a lynx?! ;)

Jack

Jack, I too thought only the Lynx had the ear tufts. Now I'm unsure why I thought that. I also think you saw a Lynx ;)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Ryananthony said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Jack, I too thought only the Lynx had the ear tufts. Now I'm unsure why I thought that. I also think you saw a Lynx ;)

Another story. In the same time-frame I was into literally everything that young boys take a fancy to, including taxidermy. A northern Manitoba trapper had relatives across our alley and he knew and one fall he visited and gave me a Lynx head and a flying squirrel. Sadly, they and countless other birds and animals and a snake finally got thrown out of the freezer when it was clear I had moved on. In total, I mounted maybe 25 birds and small animals; almost all were road and window-kill. BTW, my mother never complained about her freezer! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
Google Lynx vs bobcat

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/bobcat-vs-lynx.htm

Thanks, that was a good read!

Funny, when I saw the Lynx long ago we had rabbits everywhere but I'm sure ours were not snowshoe rabbits. Now on my property I might see one rabbit in maybe 5 years. Puzzling what happens to populations, especially given that rabbits were know to be breeders.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Click said:
Very nice shots, kodakrome. 8)

+1 Interesting how the head blends in the second, are they hard to see in the water in general?

Jack
Thanks for the comments, guys.

To answer your question, Jack - sometimes they are hard to see, it all depends on the lighting. That shot was taken early in the morning while the sun was low in the sky, and it was also cloudy so there wasn't a lot of light or contrast. Actually, I used a flash for that picture. When I shoot early in the morning, I often run into critters with no light on their faces, but with a lot of backlighting. So sometimes I use a little fill flash. I carry a 270EX II flash in my back pocket and pop it on when needed. It's a small flash, but is perfect for anything within 30 or 40 feet.

Upvote 0