Your favorite compact camera as of the holidays 2013?

Feb 1, 2013
mackguyver said:
CarlTN said:
alexturton said:
Id go with the rx100. I use one as backup to my 5d3. For still landscapes sometimes I can barely tell the difference. Rx100 is the best compact I've ever used. Plus it's a "compact" ie you can still fit it in your pocket; unlike many compact system cameras.

Now the rx100 mk ii is out the mk i is going cheaper.

Cheaper yes but still $500 or more.
Just saw this on techbargains.com - the BigValueInc on eBay is selling the RX100 for $408 & free shipping right now.

Just now saw this, thank you! I was away from the forum for a while. Sorry I missed it. Maybe this is a sign the RX100 will be even below that over the coming months. Would be nice! I notice the DP1 Merrill is down to barely over $600 via amazon, but it ships from Japan. Perhaps those will fall in price more also, I don't know.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Aglet said:
I though about the very good Fujifilm X-20 but I purchased a Fuji X-A1 w 16-50mm kit zoom for under $500 and am impressed by how well it works and it has a larger sensor and X-mount. Liked it so much I added the pricier X-M1 kit including the new 50-230mm zoom. Again, it performs very nicely and I'll likely keep the xm1 as it is and possibly convert the xa1 into an infrared or full spectrum machine.

What I really like is that every lens I have I can adapt to the APS-C - sized Fuji with an adapter. Since I often shoot full manual I can get away with cheap eBay adapters for under $40 each. - there are even tilt-shift adapters that will allow me to T&S my favorite old Nikon FF lenses on my Fuji X-mount. This is a very versatile imaging back and that's the main reason I got it/them.

Pros: image quality/price, good ergonomics and interface, versatility, good staibilized OEM kit glass, excellent Hi ISO performance with OOC jpgs good to iso 6400, reasonably fast AF and handling for a mirrorless camera, can be used with one hand, small and light enough to carry comfortably but not "pocketable."

Cons: AF gives up in low light when other compacts would alter their AF mode to use a larger evaluation area (firmware fixable), not quite "pocketable" but small and light enough to carry comfortably. Battery life could be better but it's still adequate.

I was on the fence about getting the excellent X-E2 instead of the X-M1 but the higher price held me back as rumors started to hit the forums of a new, weather-sealed X-mount camera with various improvements over the X-E2/Xpro at a possibly similar price point.
I'll wait to see what Fuji's new camera will be. My next purchase is likely this new body or an Xe2. I'm still not into MFT altho Oly's EM1 is really tempting.

Very intriguing, sounds like you are doing interesting things with this Fuji for sure. However, I am discouraged about Fuji from what I have read of their customer service.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
CarlTN said:
Very intriguing, sounds like you are doing interesting things with this Fuji for sure. However, I am discouraged about Fuji from what I have read of their customer service.
I have no experience with Fuji's customer service. I don't expect much in that area with low cost camera bodies i consider nearly disposable.
I might call them and ask for advice on how to void their warranty when doing the spectrum conversion tho... Just to see if they're at all helpful. ;D

Upvote 0