Your favorite compact camera as of the holidays 2013?

Feb 1, 2013
Hello all, hope you're having a great holiday season!

I am on the fence, can't decide what to buy next. (I know I want the 70-300L, but only at a good price.)

Pardon my long-winded-ness. You're welcome to just skim over this and focus on the parts in bold, or else not read it and just tell about your favorite compact camera(s).

I recently bought a small powershot camera as a gift, refurbished via Canon's website. So far I think it will work well, and for approx. $49.50 including tax and free shipping, I thought why not take a chance? It might get some rough treatment, and very likely will get scratched up, so that's why I didn't want to spend more. I can't believe the little viewfinder zooms! And the tiny lens is f/2.8 at the wide end, faster than my SX150IS.

I guess my question is, is there a viable cheaper alternative to the Sony RX100? (The goal being a somewhat pocketable compact camera with very good image quality). I notice the Samsung NX300 appears to have the same sensor, as does the (perhaps older?) NX1000...which seems to be approaching "nice price" level, close to $350 new via amazon. If this is the same sensor as in the RX100, then that seems like a lot of image quality for the money. I notice the white color version of the NX300 is $50 cheaper than the other colors, as well as the Sony RX100, at $499.

It's likely the NX1000, as a camera, is somehow no good, but I thought I would ask the opinion of the smartest and most insane camera people I know of, so I am posting this here! :p

I will admit that, given the large 20-50 lens that comes with it...it makes it a lot less pocket-able than the RX100. So that's not good.

Ideally I would like to spend a good bit less than $500. I figure it's either this, or a Canon Rebel T5i refurb body (as a "backup" to my 6D) for $419 (if any more magically become available at that price)...or perhaps both a Rebel and a compact camera...or neither?

For a while I thought the Pentax K-01 looked interesting, but no longer. In the past I've owned the Nikon P7000 (which I felt was better than the G12 or G13, given the longer zoom and the lighter weight...and the 40% cheaper pricetag). Also I owned the Sigma DP2. The Sigma could have fantastic image quality, but I was happy to churn out about 6000 images and then sell it a year and a half later. Recently I printed a lot of 16x20 images on metallic paper, and the ones from the DP2 are mind-blowing! I used PR 7.5 to scale them, but PS would have done about as good.

I would like to own the DP series Merrill camera(s), but that's just a lot of money for a pocket camera, for me right now. Especially considering I've spent like $3500 to $4000 on cameras and lenses over the last year or so...which is huge money to me! Obviously I plan to sell a couple of those lenses...

The only compact camera I have now is the SX150IS. Laugh if you must, but I absolutely enjoy the ergonomics. Admittedly it's a tiny sensor and there's no RAW capture, and it's "only" 14.1 MP within that small sensor. But from ISO 200 and below, it's printable to 16x20. That's a lot of camera for $135 new (or the current refurb price of what, $80? $70?). I've made money with this camera...Oh, and I almost forgot the image stabilization. In my opinion it's approaching 5 stops, at least at the telephoto end.

I also came across the Fuji XF1 via amazon at only $199 (originally it was like $500). However, having read about its problems, I decided not to bite. I highly doubt its sensor compares to the aps-c one in the Sony RX100...since it's smaller, etc.

The reason I don't mention the G15, is because it seems like the image quality is low for even the discounted price of around $299. I also don't like that its zoom range is so short. If I'm going to give up a wide range zoom, then the image quality needs to be a couple of levels above the G15.

I'm most grateful for your thoughts and input!

I really didnt understand if you want to have a RX100 or not.
So if yes: as the Mk2 of it is the actual model, the Mk1 is available for ~ €400, must be around $400, 500.
I don't buy the new one because I like it smaller and lighter then the Mk2, SO:
why not the RX100?

It is my favorite pocketable. Ratio Size/IQ unbeatable .
This said after 13400 actuations.

Highly recommended.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Thanks to everyone who finally decided to respond! So I gather the EOS M is popular. I thought the consensus on it was that it sucked? Reasons why I don't want it? I could get a Rebel with the same sensor for not much more money, so it seems like a waste. The M can mount EF lenses, but it requires an adaptor...so I think for similar money I would rather have a T4i or T5i refurb.

For a compact camera for myself, I really would prefer either something with a captive lens (perhaps with a moderately long zoom anywhere from 5x to 18x), or else something with superior IQ to the EOS M...such as the RX100...or at least the sensor that's in it (I assume it's superior because it's an aps-c sensor from one of the Nex models, is it not?)

Reasons I don't want the RX100? It's over $500, from what I have seen. It's been out what, over a year, and still it's not fallen below $500. The Nex models are similarly priced. I absolutely hate the ergonomics of the Nex series, though.

So, my question from the original post, again: Is the sensor in the Samsung NX300 or NX1000, the same sensor as found in the Sony RX100? Really the NX1000 is more appealing to me, as it is sale-priced down to around $355, including a 20-50 zoom lens (the NX300 is about the same price as RX100). Is this not also the same sensor as found in one of the Sony Nex models?

If the EOS M fell to around $200 I would consider it...but the only lens I have that would probably work on it without an adaptor is the 40mm pancake. Might not even work on it, I don't know. That's the only lens that would make it relatively pocketable...but I don't want to be limited to one lens, that is a prime.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
CarlTN said:
So, my question from the original post, again: Is the sensor in the Samsung NX300 or NX1000, the same sensor as found in the Sony RX100? Really the NX1000 is more appealing to me, as it is sale-priced down to around $355, including a 20-50 zoom lens (the NX300 is about the same price as RX100). Is this not also the same sensor as found in one of the Sony Nex models?
The RX100 has a 2.7x crop sensor (so called 1", same size as in the a Nikon 1 range), and Samsung ILC's have 1.5x crop APS-C sensors. I have a vague memory that Samsung make their own sensors, but don't quote me on this.

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:

Perhaps you should try that question on a Sony/Samsung forum. I don't think people here would without the answer if they knew it.

Upvote 0
I've been impressed with the m4/3 cameras. I bought a Panasonic g5 for $299 and it worked great. The only thing I didn't like was that it didn't have real time exposure preview in M mode, so I returned it. I am currently saving up for an OM-D instead. I use a 5d3 for my main camera and for professional work, but it's so big and heavy to carry around all of the time. I found that the m4/3 has extremely small and light cameras and lenses, and the image quality isn't much behind aps-c. And for non-tracking AF, the focusing is magnificent. But you will have the tracking problem with any of the other mirror less cameras you are considering.

Oh, and almost all of the m4/3 cameras have real hot shoes to mount flashes and radio triggers if needed.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Fleetie said:
Ok, the EOS M Pro - when it gets released, if ever.

I'll be all over it, and the M->EF adaptor.

+1

I currently own a G10, with a 270EX flash mounted on it constantly, that I'd like to replace with Canon's answer to the Fuji X-E2, Panasonic GF7 and Sony NEX-6. The G10 still takes great pictures though, if there's enough light.

Upvote 0
I know you've mentioned not wanting a prime lens. But you've also mentioned IQ as being a big factor. I would consider a used Fuji x100. You can find them for around 500-550. A little bit above your stated threshold. However, the sensor is much better (and larger) than most of the other options mentioned thus far. The fixed 23/2 = 35ish and is a very good lens. With the updated firmware, AF is good enough for most applications.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
JohnDizzo15 said:
I know you've mentioned not wanting a prime lens. But you've also mentioned IQ as being a big factor. I would consider a used Fuji x100. You can find them for around 500-550. A little bit above your stated threshold. However, the sensor is much better (and larger) than most of the other options mentioned thus far. The fixed 23/2 = 35ish and is a very good lens. With the updated firmware, AF is good enough for most applications.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a fine looking camera. More than I want to spend, and as you say, it's a prime lens.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
rs said:
CarlTN said:
The RX100 has a 2.7x crop sensor (so called 1", same size as in the a Nikon 1 range), and Samsung ILC's have 1.5x crop APS-C sensors. I have a vague memory that Samsung make their own sensors, but don't quote me on this.

Thank you, I plead ignorance here! They shouldn't be allowed to call it "1 inch", because if it is 2.7x crop, that is smaller than "four thirds" format, which is smaller than 1 inch, even diagonally...is it not? It sounds like the Samsung does have a full aps-c size sensor, though. I guess I need to research it more, if they make their own sensors, then the quality might not be as good.

Upvote 0