Your favorite compact camera as of the holidays 2013?

CarlTN said:
Thanks to everyone who finally decided to respond! So I gather the EOS M is popular. I thought the consensus on it was that it sucked?
It sucks much less than most compacts, but compared to a DSLR, it's slow and sluggish.

CarlTN said:
If the EOS M fell to around $200 I would consider it...but the only lens I have that would probably work on it without an adaptor is the 40mm pancake. Might not even work on it, I don't know. That's the only lens that would make it relatively pocketable...but I don't want to be limited to one lens, that is a prime.
You still need the adapter and that would definitely not be pocketable. Even with the EF-M 22mm, it's not terribly pocketable.

I'm betting that the S120 is probably the best overall compact camera right now in terms of small size, good IQ, usable menus, features, and price given all of the compromises one naturally has with small cameras. I haven't used one, but it's supposed to the faster than the S110 which was a pretty good little camera when I tried it.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Don Haines said:
My favorite compact camera is an Olympus TG-830. For me, submersible is a major requirement.... If you are going for a compact camera, why not get something really different from a DSLR?

Mostly interested in the most image quality for the least amount of money. I'd prefer something pocketable but not if it costs over $500, or only shoots jpeg...

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Lichtgestalt said:
sony rx100.

for me there is/was no alternative.
all the system cameras (m43, fuji etc.) are not really pocketable.

i thought about the GM1. that one has a small body.. but with lens it´s still to big.

The body on the GX1 is even smaller than the GM1, it costs a lot less, and the image quality is likely similar. If I was going to blow $750 on a small camera, I'd be rich enough to just buy several Leicas and call it a day.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
mackguyver said:
The EOS-M - for two reasons - superior IQ, and even more because it has a real user interface. It's an EOS - you can pull it out of the box and be familiar with 99% of it's functions without reading the manual. After years of digging through insanely crappy menu systems (Sony and Panasonic :mad:), and looking for advanced features (1/60-1/200s flash sync) that didn't exist (Canon compacts), it's perfect.

You can quibble about a million things with it (all compacts suck in one way or another), but it's cheap right now and for Canon users, it's just like picking up your SLR.

I don't have any EF-S lenses anymore, and would rather have something that uses a slightly smaller sensor and smaller lenses. To use the EOS M with my full frame lenses, would actually inhibit my ability to take photographs, because the ergonomics just don't work well enough. (I had considered getting a Rebel T5i for times like this, until it turns out my new 70-300L needs a tad of AFMA...something Rebels lack.)

But if I still owned several EF-S lenses (or any M lenses) your suggestion would make more sense, so thank you for your input. The only small lens I have now is the 40mm pancake, and I may or may not keep it a while longer. I like it, but my wants and needs change, while my income hasn't (I can't afford to just collect 20 or more lenses like many of you do). I need a small camera with the ability to go to either 28mm or 24mm equivalent FOV, and the ability to zoom...either a little or a lot.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
alexturton said:
Id go with the rx100. I use one as backup to my 5d3. For still landscapes sometimes I can barely tell the difference. Rx100 is the best compact I've ever used. Plus it's a "compact" ie you can still fit it in your pocket; unlike many compact system cameras.

Now the rx100 mk ii is out the mk i is going cheaper.

Cheaper yes but still $500 or more.

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
alexturton said:
Id go with the rx100. I use one as backup to my 5d3. For still landscapes sometimes I can barely tell the difference. Rx100 is the best compact I've ever used. Plus it's a "compact" ie you can still fit it in your pocket; unlike many compact system cameras.

Now the rx100 mk ii is out the mk i is going cheaper.

Cheaper yes but still $500 or more.
Just saw this on techbargains.com - the BigValueInc on eBay is selling the RX100 for $408 & free shipping right now.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
unfocused said:
Fuji X20. Small, light, has a viewfinder, a 28-112 equivalent zoom, shoots raw.

Even used they're nearly $400. Looks like a fine camera, no doubt. Are you saying it has IQ absolutely equal to the Sony RX-100? If it does, then in some ways it might be a better overall camera than the RX100, because the Sony doesn't include a viewfinder for $500.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Hillsilly said:
I've been lucky enough to use my sister's SX50HS a few times in recent weeks. I was pleasantly surprised by the snappyness of its AF and the effectiveness of the IS when taking video at the longer end of the zoom range. The image quality at lower ISO's isn't bad, it works well with Canon flashes and it has an EVF.

I tried one at Best Buy, definitely don't want one. The EVF is annoying to look through...The only reason to own it is for the long zoom. The ergonomics just are lackluster, it feels a bit slow to operate, the grip is kind of off, and it's not really compact enough.

Not saying you don't get great results with it or have not learned how to maximize it's usage, because it sounds like you definitely have.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
rpt said:
My regular camera is the 5D3 with either the 24-105 or the 100-400 depending on what I am shooting. My favourite compact is the 5D3 with the 40mm pancake! Seriously! There are two compacts languishing in the cupboard. I have not used them since I got the 5D3. And yes, it does not fit in the pocket, but the clarity is so much better, I don't use the other compacts at all!

I already have the 40mm pancake as well, and on the 6D it's far more "compact" than your 5D3. I really prefer using the 24-105 though, because it's a zoom with IS, and the IQ is very close to the pancake at 40mm. Thanks for the helpful hints though haha...:p

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
surapon said:
mackguyver said:
The EOS-M - for two reasons - superior IQ, and even more because it has a real user interface. It's an EOS - you can pull it out of the box and be familiar with 99% of it's functions without reading the manual. After years of digging through insanely crappy menu systems (Sony and Panasonic :mad:), and looking for advanced features (1/60-1/200s flash sync) that didn't exist (Canon compacts), it's perfect.

You can quibble about a million things with it (all compacts suck in one way or another), but it's cheap right now and for Canon users, it's just like picking up your SLR.

+ 1,000 For me too, Dear CarlTN and mackguyver.
After I have 1 week, I fell in love with this Tiny EOS-M----Yes, Now I can do with out 20D, 7D, 5D MK II, and 1DS,Yes--I can do 80% of the Big Brothers functions from EOS-M and plus I can put This EOS-M in my Jacket's Pocket too.
Surapon

PS, Yes, I have Olympus FE 300, Canon SX 160 IS too, Both of them are great companion, before my new toy EOS-M come.
PS-2 = The Cheap Belt bag( from Office Max = $ 19 US Dollars) for 1 day trip

That appears to be a cute little tripod!

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Re: S-100

drmikeinpdx said:
I just ordered a Canon S100 as an upgrade from my S-90 that I've had for a few years. B&H had refurbished models for $175. The S110 and 120 don't add any features that I need.

I've enjoyed the image quality of the S90, but I'm hoping the S100 will have a shorter delay between button press and shutter release. The longer zoom range will be nice too.

I love my 5D3, but sometimes a pocket camera is what you need.

Thank you for sharing! I'm seriously considering one of the S models, however there are some reports that they have "lens error".

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Lichtgestalt said:
the eos-m is not a pocketable camera.
and most other cameras mentioned are not pocketable either.

i guess the OT has to make clear what size is acceptable for him.

Sorry I thought I did. The size of the EOS M, Sony RX-100, and the Panasonics I mention, are acceptable size. "Pocketable" is a relative term, to be sure...but let's just call it "coat-pocketable". The SX50 is too deep to be even coat pocketable, for example...

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Cory said:
For a Canon person who likes to keep things easy and simple would there be a familiarity with an S120 that might not be the case with an RX100? Thanks.

As has been joked about me, I am a camera superman, so I'm not as worried about becoming familiar with a new camera. Once a camera is learned, it doesn't matter what brand it is...you (or at least I) can easily go back and forth between a Canon and some other brand. Anyone can do this, I'm just joking about myself! The real question is, is your mind open to do such things? Or does your mind think it has to remain with one brand for whatever reason?

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
mackguyver said:
CarlTN said:
Thanks to everyone who finally decided to respond! So I gather the EOS M is popular. I thought the consensus on it was that it sucked?
It sucks much less than most compacts, but compared to a DSLR, it's slow and sluggish.

CarlTN said:
If the EOS M fell to around $200 I would consider it...but the only lens I have that would probably work on it without an adaptor is the 40mm pancake. Might not even work on it, I don't know. That's the only lens that would make it relatively pocketable...but I don't want to be limited to one lens, that is a prime.
You still need the adapter and that would definitely not be pocketable. Even with the EF-M 22mm, it's not terribly pocketable.

I'm betting that the S120 is probably the best overall compact camera right now in terms of small size, good IQ, usable menus, features, and price given all of the compromises one naturally has with small cameras. I haven't used one, but it's supposed to the faster than the S110 which was a pretty good little camera when I tried it.

True enough, but as I said above, the S series are known to occasionally have "lens error". Not sure if it's the retract motor, or the IS, or whatever. For $200 and up I honestly am considering an older Panasonic Micro 4/3, the GX1 (but only if I can get it for an extremely good price). With the power zoom lens option, it seems like it would also be pocketable. Not sure how reliable it is, though...and it's obviously been replaced by the shiny silver new models that cost $750 and up...with the (apparently larger) Fuji X series form factor...

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
I though about the very good Fujifilm X-20 but I purchased a Fuji X-A1 w 16-50mm kit zoom for under $500 and am impressed by how well it works and it has a larger sensor and X-mount. Liked it so much I added the pricier X-M1 kit including the new 50-230mm zoom. Again, it performs very nicely and I'll likely keep the xm1 as it is and possibly convert the xa1 into an infrared or full spectrum machine.

What I really like is that every lens I have I can adapt to the APS-C - sized Fuji with an adapter. Since I often shoot full manual I can get away with cheap eBay adapters for under $40 each. - there are even tilt-shift adapters that will allow me to T&S my favorite old Nikon FF lenses on my Fuji X-mount. This is a very versatile imaging back and that's the main reason I got it/them.

Pros: image quality/price, good ergonomics and interface, versatility, good staibilized OEM kit glass, excellent Hi ISO performance with OOC jpgs good to iso 6400, reasonably fast AF and handling for a mirrorless camera, can be used with one hand, small and light enough to carry comfortably but not "pocketable."

Cons: AF gives up in low light when other compacts would alter their AF mode to use a larger evaluation area (firmware fixable), not quite "pocketable" but small and light enough to carry comfortably. Battery life could be better but it's still adequate.

I was on the fence about getting the excellent X-E2 instead of the X-M1 but the higher price held me back as rumors started to hit the forums of a new, weather-sealed X-mount camera with various improvements over the X-E2/Xpro at a possibly similar price point.
I'll wait to see what Fuji's new camera will be. My next purchase is likely this new body or an Xe2. I'm still not into MFT altho Oly's EM1 is really tempting.

Upvote 0