Your favourite motorsports events

Qatar team's F1 H2O powerboat from Sharjah Grandprix, UAE.

It was my first attempt at motor sports and I am pleasantly surprised with 6d doing a decent job even with extender(70-200 f4 IS and 1.4x III).

Qatar F1 H2O team by Jogesh S, on Flickr
1/50, ƒ/8, ISO 125, 280 mm, IS mode 2.

IMG_4693 by Jogesh S, on Flickr
1/60, ƒ/11, ISO 160, 280 mm.

Upvote 0
Some nice photos there.

After watching as much of the race as I could (was working that weekend :( ), I have set myself the aim to attend the Dubai 24 next year. Looks very exciting, plenty of vantage points and fewer crowds than a WEC event. And lets be honest Dubai instead of the UK in January is always going to be preferable ;D

Am I correct in thinking it was free entry to the circuit for spectators? And free entry to all grandstands? I thought I read that somewhere...

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
dhr90 said:
And lets be honest Dubai instead of the UK in January is always going to be preferable ;D

Am I correct in thinking it was free entry to the circuit for spectators? And free entry to all grandstands? I thought I read that somewhere...
It is mate, free entry and you can pretty much walk anywhere you like!! Next year is the 10th anniversary so it’ll be fantastic for your first visit!! January feels cold at night so you’ll need long sleeves! It’s nice to see some fellow Dubai’ans on here (Jogeshs and Dhr90), I’ll post some of my 2014 24 hours images when I get home tonight.
Texphoto, those images are fantastic, I love that second tilt/shift image and the HDR element really makes the colours pop!!

Upvote 0
TheJock said:
dhr90 said:
And lets be honest Dubai instead of the UK in January is always going to be preferable ;D

It is mate, free entry and you can pretty much walk anywhere you like!! Next year is the 10th anniversary so it’ll be fantastic for your first visit!! January feels cold at night so you’ll need long sleeves! It’s nice to see some fellow Dubai’ans on here (Jogeshs and Dhr90), I’ll post some of my 2014 24 hours images when I get home tonight.
Texphoto, those images are fantastic, I love that second tilt/shift image and the HDR element really makes the colours pop!!

Is it easy to listen to the commentary too? Radiolemans certainly makes a 24 hour race a bit more special.

I'm not from Dubai, just looking at it for a holiday next year...

Upvote 0
Sadly, I have not been to a motorsports race since I bought my first DSLR 4 years ago. I grew up attending 1-2 races each year at Mid Ohio Sportscar Course in Lexington, OH, USA (between Columbus and Cleveland). I love that place, and I've missed it for the past 6 or 7 years. My favorite events there are the SCCA Vintage Races and the ALMS Series/Grand Am Series (now United SportsCar Championship). I miss the days of the Camel GT series, as well, as that era of racecars holds a special place in my heart.

On the bucket list of automotive events I would like to attend, the following: 24 Hours of Le Mans, Monoco GP, 24 Hours of Daytona, Goodwood Festival of Speed, Rennsport Reunion, Barrett Jackson and Pebble Beach Concours.

Upvote 0
Moto X

Only got back into photography after nearly 18 years. I love being at moto x events, or hanging with friends as they try to make around the track in one piece. I took this on a second hand 20D I picked up with two cheap zooms (18-55 & 70-300)
Shot this in Birdhill, Limerick, Ireland. I had to copy of one of my facebook albums as I had an unfortunate external hard drive disaster and lost the original album.

Attachments

• birdhill.jpg
    birdhill.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,067
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kyle.
As you mention in your post the SCCA Vintage Races, I would recommend that the Goodwood event that you attend should be the Revival, wheel to wheel, sometimes fender to fender racing of everything from little Austins to large Jaguars, Galaxies, motor bikes and open wheel racers from the 40's to the 60's, not all on track at once! ;D
Whereas the Festival Of Speed has the most up to date cars, they run one at a time, and IMHO it tends to be a less thrilling event, however I have done both, and enjoyed both but picking one it would definitely be the Revival!
Hoping this year will see us reach the top of the GRRC waiting list and we will be able to enjoy from the much less crowded members enclosures!

Cheers Graham.

KyleSTL said:
Sadly, I have not been to a motorsports race since I bought my first DSLR 4 years ago. I grew up attending 1-2 races each year at Mid Ohio Sportscar Course in Lexington, OH, USA (between Columbus and Cleveland). I love that place, and I've missed it for the past 6 or 7 years. My favorite events there are the SCCA Vintage Races and the ALMS Series/Grand Am Series (now United SportsCar Championship). I miss the days of the Camel GT series, as well, as that era of racecars holds a special place in my heart.

On the bucket list of automotive events I would like to attend, the following: 24 Hours of Le Mans, Monoco GP, 24 Hours of Daytona, Goodwood Festival of Speed, Rennsport Reunion, Barrett Jackson and Pebble Beach Concours.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
IMG_0001 said:
Yeah, I've just been offered tickets for the 2014 F1 grand prix in Montreal. This thread sure is going to get a few new pics added next summer! This time I will really try to attend the open pit day. That is one occasion I keep on missing year after year but will surely bring on some nice photo opportunities!

Do it!! I love Melbourne being the first race of the season and having tickets that get me into the pits on the Thursday. 2 years ago I got some great shots of the differing front wing elements the teams were testing. Here they also opened up the vip viewing deck on top of the pit complex for the day which enabled me to get shots into the cockpits of the cars as they wheeled them to scrutineering as well as some of Ferrari practicing their pitstops.

Some pics of new cars have been released. The Force India doesn't look too bad in the side on shot

emhCV9e.jpg

However the front on shot of the Williams looks horrible with that narrow extension.

williams-fw36r-fw35-34view-470x233.jpg

And the weirdest of the lot.... Lotus

BewTj9OCYAE-4os.png:large

Please no sexual comments about the Lotus and Williams having a head on crash... ;D

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
I thought I would stick a couple of pic’s up from the Dubai 24 hours in January, what a weekend of fun! I learnt a lot, like it’s time to buy a 70D as the ISO on the 550D leaves a lot to be desired!! I arrived back just before dusk to catch the “glowing” brakes (and maybe catch a little exhaust flamage) but there had been an accident and there was a 60klm flag out :mad:, this stayed out until after dark so I had to turn the ISO right up to 6400 to capture the shots I wanted, however I got 1 good one that I’m happy with (pic 1). I hope you enjoy the pics. :)
I had to get one of my orbs in there too ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1346.JPG
    IMG_1346.JPG
    598.9 KB · Views: 914
  • IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    422 KB · Views: 905
Upvote 0

IMG_0001

Amateur photon abductor
Nov 12, 2013
Roo said:
IMG_0001 said:
Yeah, I've just been offered tickets for the 2014 F1 grand prix in Montreal. This thread sure is going to get a few new pics added next summer! This time I will really try to attend the open pit day. That is one occasion I keep on missing year after year but will surely bring on some nice photo opportunities!

Do it!! I love Melbourne being the first race of the season and having tickets that get me into the pits on the Thursday. 2 years ago I got some great shots of the differing front wing elements the teams were testing. Here they also opened up the vip viewing deck on top of the pit complex for the day which enabled me to get shots into the cockpits of the cars as they wheeled them to scrutineering as well as some of Ferrari practicing their pitstops.

Some pics of new cars have been released. The Force India doesn't look too bad in the side on shot

emhCV9e.jpg

However the front on shot of the Williams looks horrible with that narrow extension.

williams-fw36r-fw35-34view-470x233.jpg

And the weirdest of the lot.... Lotus

BewTj9OCYAE-4os.png:large

Please no sexual comments about the Lotus and Williams having a head on crash... ;D

That lotus appears to have a lot of rear wheel positive camber, this seems bizarre to me. May be its just a rendered model perspective thing though.

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
IMG_0001 said:
That lotus appears to have a lot of rear wheel positive camber, this seems bizarre to me. May be its just a rendered model perspective thing though.
The camber is usually opposite to this, so I think it's just the overhead image giving off that impression. I’m sad to see that their not at Jerez this week, but I’m glad that their Ex-principal has seen the light and joined McLaren!!!!! We had the fastest car yesterday by 6 tenths, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a successful year this year, last year was the worst season we’ve had since 1980 so it can't get any worse....... :-\

Upvote 0
TheJock said:
I thought I would stick a couple of pic’s up from the Dubai 24 hours in January, what a weekend of fun! I learnt a lot, like it’s time to buy a 70D as the ISO on the 550D leaves a lot to be desired!! I arrived back just before dusk to catch the “glowing” brakes (and maybe catch a little exhaust flamage) but there had been an accident and there was a 60klm flag out :mad:, this stayed out until after dark so I had to turn the ISO right up to 6400 to capture the shots I wanted, however I got 1 good one that I’m happy with (pic 1). I hope you enjoy the pics. :)
I had to get one of my orbs in there too ;)

Jock...cool shots, but what am I looking at in the second photo?

Upvote 0

IMG_0001

Amateur photon abductor
Nov 12, 2013
TheJock said:
IMG_0001 said:
The camber is usually opposite to this, so I think it's just the overhead image giving off that impression. I’m sad to see that their not at Jerez this week, but I’m glad that their Ex-principal has seen the light and joined McLaren!!!!! We had the fastest car yesterday by 6 tenths, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a successful year this year, last year was the worst season we’ve had since 1980 so it can't get any worse....... :-\

I know it should be the other way around, but since the front wheels do not show weird camber, it seemed not to be a perspective thing... that's why it struck me.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Being an engineer and fond of fixing vehicles it looks to me like the rear end not only has excessive positive camber, it also appears to have a huge amount of toe in!

Cheers Graham.

IMG_0001 said:
TheJock said:
IMG_0001 said:

I know it should be the other way around, but since the front wheels do not show weird camber, it seemed not to be a perspective thing... that's why it struck me.

Upvote 0

IMG_0001

Amateur photon abductor
Nov 12, 2013
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
Being an engineer and fond of fixing vehicles it looks to me like the rear end not only has excessive positive camber, it also appears to have a huge amount of toe in!

Cheers Graham.

IMG_0001 said:
TheJock said:
IMG_0001 said:

Yeah, you're right, but at least you should expect some toe-in at the rear.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.

This is just a wild guess, but perhaps the positive camber is there to increase the contact patch of the tire as the the rear suspension compresses during acceleration? The new turbo motors, after all, do produce quite a bit more torque than the old V-8s.

On a side note, the 2014 Ferrari is unspeakably hideous. It's by far the ugliest car in the pits! I might have to reconsider my stance as a fan of the Scuderia. I am refraining from posting pics of it, as I don't want people vomiting on their keyboards :eek:

Upvote 0

IMG_0001

Amateur photon abductor
Nov 12, 2013
V8Beast said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.

This is just a wild guess, but perhaps the positive camber is there to increase the contact patch of the tire as the the rear suspension compresses during acceleration? The new turbo motors, after all, do produce quite a bit more torque than the old V-8s.

On a side note, the 2014 Ferrari is unspeakably hideous. It's by far the ugliest car in the pits! I might have to reconsider my stance as a fan of the Scuderia. I am refraining from posting pics of it, as I don't want people vomiting on their keyboards :eek:

F1 suspensions are super stiff to cope with the downforce. I doubt they'd deflectb so much under acceleration as to need this kind of camber. I recall reading that most of an F1 suspension deflection actually comes from tire flex.

As for ferrari, at least red does not attract attention does it???

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
Northstar said:
TheJock said:
....I had to get one of my orbs in there too ;)

Jock...cool shots, but what am I looking at in the second photo?
The image was taken in the middle of the track, the lights in the background are Dubai Marina, the middle shows the trail’s of headlights from the cars on the track, and the foreground is an unlit area of grass where I set up the tripod and spun an orb for a 30 second exposure, hope this all makes sense! :D

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
IMG_0001 said:
TheJock said:
IMG_0001 said:

F1 cars have wider rims/tyres at the rear than the front, due to all the power going through them. Therefore, to get the same level of cornering force from each axle, the rear doesn't require the same quantity of negative camber. This also doubles up as a handy way of squaring off the tyre angles for putting the power down on the straights.

lotus-2012-formula-1-race-car1.jpg

Therefore it is a perspective thing.

Upvote 0