Your favourite motorsports events

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
I’m published!!!!!!!
I was asked to snap a Karting event on Monday night, I used the new 70D and the 18-55 STM kit lens (as I haven’t picked up the 24-105L yet), this was the second time I had the camera in my hand as I only bought it on Saturday night.
Although I’m delighted at seeing my name (spelled wrong, LOL) as a recognised photographer, I have major critique on the results, so here’s hoping I’ll have sharper images at the next event!!!

http://www.dubaiautodrome.com/tracktalk/2014/03/report-sws-rx7-and-junior-sprint-races/

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jock.
Some nice shots, congrats on getting published, had a look on my iPad at a few pics, look sharp enough native screen size, I did pick what I thought might be the worst one from the thumbs and blew it up, looked acceptably sharp without going to the pixel level. I'm going to guess that it was a night event and using wide aperture and the shallow DOF hasn't helped, did you AFMA the lens, were you hand held at low shutter speed? I don't see any comments below the pics shouting about them being unsharp!
Come to that I don't see a comment correcting your name either! ;D

Cheers Graham.

TheJock said:
I’m published!!!!!!!
I was asked to snap a Karting event on Monday night, I used the new 70D and the 18-55 STM kit lens (as I haven’t picked up the 24-105L yet), this was the second time I had the camera in my hand as I only bought it on Saturday night.
Although I’m delighted at seeing my name (spelled wrong, LOL) as a recognised photographer, I have major critique on the results, so here’s hoping I’ll have sharper images at the next event!!!

http://www.dubaiautodrome.com/tracktalk/2014/03/report-sws-rx7-and-junior-sprint-races/

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
Hi Graham, yeah there were a few blurred images :'(, I need to seriously brush up on my skills and have a look at this AFMA thingy, one nice thing is the ISO settings, I remember some were set at ISO 6400 and they turned out well, the slow shutter and wider aperture (deliberate blur) helped keep the “grain” at bay, but overall the 70D’s performance is outstanding (for me!), I just need to learn how to use it ( lol ) and get faster lenses and a better flash unit.

Upvote 0
TheJock said:
I’m published!!!!!!!

congrats...a nice feeling!

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
TheJock said:
I’m published!!!!!!!

Great work!!

Upvote 0
I went to a test day yesterday at Snetterton, a few Formula 4 cars, some Formula Renault and Fords too, a Caterham, Radical and late in the day a 911 British GT car went out too. Sadly there weren't more cars, so while I took 800 odd photos (Canon 7D machine gun mode), I'll probably only upload 8-10 or it gets a bit samey I think. Would have liked a bit more reach at times, all were shot on my 70-200 f2.8 IS II

Trackspeed Racing

Duratec Racing

Lanan Racing

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi dhr.
Nice, thanks

Cheers Graham.

dhr90 said:
I went to a test day yesterday at Snetterton, a few Formula 4 cars, some Formula Renault and Fords too, a Caterham, Radical and late in the day a 911 British GT car went out too. Sadly there weren't more cars, so while I took 800 odd photos (Canon 7D machine gun mode), I'll probably only upload 8-10 or it gets a bit samey I think. Would have liked a bit more reach at times, all were shot on my 70-200 f2.8 IS II

Trackspeed Racing

Duratec Racing

Lanan Racing

Upvote 0

cornish

Very keen amateur photographer
Oct 25, 2013
Saltash, UK
www.gewphotography.com
Quite like the moto x events...

_MG_4250.jpg

_MG_4208.jpg

_MG_4320.jpg

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi tntwit.
Wow forgot about that, tractor pulling, cool, I used to watch that on late night tv just for the bangs. Big engine big bang, bigger engine turbo or supercharged over fuelled much bigger bang! ;D Must be like riding a grenade wih the pin pulled and spoon gone, you know there's a bang coming it is just a case of when. :'(

Cheers Graham.

tntwit said:
And now for something completely different... 8)

Upvote 0