|This site contains affiliate links to products and services. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.|
I took a day off to clear the head. It was much needed.
After nothing showed up Wednesday, we look to the future of the Canon lineup. I’ll rank what I have as far as information on the next bodies and lenses.
- 5D Mark III or Similar – The hype machine is building every day. Everyone is ready for their next full frame body. We’ve had Q3/Q4 2011 for a long while for the camera. 28mp and 7D af were the latest specs. We always hear “raw video” as well.
- 1Ds Mark IV or Similar – Everyone is wondering where it is, and there is next to zero information about it. All I’ve been told from very good people is late 2011 or even into 2012 for any type of announcement.
- 1D Mark V – It’s been suggested a couple of times we’d see this camera before a 1Ds Mark IV.
- New Body i.e. 3D – We had a recent full frame rumor, it has yet to come to fruition.
There’s going to be some significant changes in the Canon DSLR lineup over the next year I think. I know the mention of a 5D Mark III makes some people hyperventilate.
- 24-70 f/2.8 II – It’s coming, the patent exists. When? Makes sense to arrive with a 5D Mark III. All the signs point to no IS in the lens.
- 35 f/1.4L II – It seems to be wanted, although I love the current one. I haven’t heard anything about it in a while.
- 50 f/1.2L II – More talk about this lens than you’d think. Not sure what to make of the chatter. It has a bit of bad PR with its focus shift.
- 24-105 f/4L II – Upgraded IS and the new kit lens for the 5D3.
- 135 f/1.8L – Speed up and replace an absolute classic lens in the 135 f/2L? It’s constantly talked about.
- 200 f/3.5L IS Macro – The big macro is getting replaced, it’s a nice niche lens they don’t need large scale manufacturing for.
- 90 f/2.8L Tilt-Shift – Another lens they’d be smart to upgrade. There’s a lot of tilt-shift portrait work going on.
- 17-40 f/4L IS – An ultra wide angle lens with IS is missing from the EF lineup, Nikon has one.
I’ve said 2011 would be a big lens year for Canon. I still stand behind that. Although, lenses are always harder to get information on than camera bodies.
Bear in mind this list is an accumulation of things I’ve been sent.