Flagship EOS R camera coming in February ahead of CP+? [CR1]

Aug 21, 2018
What "exodus" is that?:rolleyes:
I'm not sure there's an "exodus" under way but people are definitely switching. Can't wait forever to get the features you want from canon. I have an A7III and 24-70GM on order. I still would prefer to use a canon camera for the friendly user interface, colors and ergonomics but they're not offering the features that I'm looking for. Many people are in the same boat. I may come back to Canon if they ever catch up though.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm not sure there's an "exodus" under way but people are definitely switching. Can't wait forever to get the features you want from canon. I have an A7III and 24-70GM on order. I still would prefer to use a canon camera for the friendly user interface, colors and ergonomics but they're not offering the features that I'm looking for. Many people are in the same boat. I may come back to Canon if they ever catch up though.
People switch all the time, both ways. Of course you should pick whichever brand meets your needs. This forum, or any forum, is not representative of what may or may not be happening yet people act as though there are vast numbers of folks switching around. There are people here that have been threatening to switch for years and years. ;) However, somebody throwing around the word "exodus" hasn't got a clue. Perception is not necessarily reality.

Upvote 0
The problem is Canon came late to the game and I cannot wait any longer. I need a high end pro mirrorless camera for my work flow. I do not want a camera with one card slot. I have already been burned twice with two cards the computer said it could not read the cards. One lab wanted $1500 to get the images back. I always shoot with two cards now. I also need a mirrorless camera that can shoot mutiple photos while in the silent mode. Second Sony and Fuji has taken a large market share away from Canon and that goes with Nikon too. I own the Fuji XT-2 system along with a number of Canon 5D Mark lll's and lenses. I have been happy with the Fuji camera but I also need a full frame mirrorless camera and I believe the Sony a9 to be the type of camera I need right now. It is a camera that can shoot better in lower light setting and higher ISO's than the Fuji cameras. I have learned that Canon sales people and technicians know knowing about new product development. Their job is either to fix or sell the products that are in the market place. I asked a few Canon reps two years ago at the NAB show in Las Vegas what is Canon going to do with the professional mirrorless camera market and they had no clue.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Canon should have released more info about their FF mirrorless line in my opinion. Even some basic development announcements to go along with the EOS R. Knowing better products with more modern features were on their way might have kept some people (me lol) from buying Sony. I have learned two things in my years shooting Canon: 1.) They are not interested in being competitive in terms of specs and 2.) They do not care if people switch to competing brands.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
What "exodus" is that?:rolleyes:

I think this kind:
Charlton_Heston_in_The_Ten_Commandments_film_trailer.jpg

Upvote 0

20Dave

CR Pro
Jan 19, 2013
... I need a high end pro mirrorless camera for my work flow.

I'm curious, what features do you need? I'm not trolling, just curious, as I am only a hobbyist. I mostly shoot birds and other wildlife, so my requirements lean towards fast focus and long focal lengths. I've never thought "gee, I wish this mirror wasn't in the camera", but maybe I don't understand what I'm missing. Is it mostly the advanced features available through the viewfinder, or something else?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm curious, what features do you need? I'm not trolling, just curious, as I am only a hobbyist. I mostly shoot birds and other wildlife, so my requirements lean towards fast focus and long focal lengths. I've never thought "gee, I wish this mirror wasn't in the camera", but maybe I don't understand what I'm missing. Is it mostly the advanced features available through the viewfinder, or something else?
Mirrorless images edit faster in Photoshop. That's what I hear from Sony fans anyway. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Canon technician at Photokina told me that the EOS R with either the RF 50mm f1.2L or the RF 28-70mm f2L gave results similar to the 5DS. If that's the case and given that both Sony & Nikon have cameras in the 40+ MP range, an EOS R Pro camera to be the spiritual successor to the 5DS / 5DSr would make a lot of sense. Personally I don't think this should be the prototype 120MP sensor, staying around 50MP mark is way more than enough and keeps shutter speeds manageable.
Too generic. I do not say this is not good but can it be quantified? What good does it do to me when I shoot birds and I am always Focal Length limited? I still need the 5DsR.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Second Sony and Fuji has taken a large market share away from Canon and that goes with Nikon too.

:eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: In the twilight zone.

You have 5 posts since 2014 and they are all essentially the same. Fuji, Panasonic, and Sony. o_O

I call Troll.

If the camera has a single card slot I will not buy it. I have been burned before due to my computer could not read a card on a job I did. I now always shoot dual cards. Looks like I will be leaving Canon to Sony. I waited too long for this Camera. I bought the Fuji XT2 system to hold me over. I am going to sell all my Canon lenses. The work I do now requires me to shoot silent and for a camera to shoot well in low light. My Canon 5D Mark lll’s are paper weights due to their large shutter counts. Looks like the Sony A9 is the Mirrorless king and best manufacturer. Canon will blow it big time if this new camera is less than the quality of the Sony. Their future hinges on their new Mirrorless products. They lost a ton of market share to Sony because of their executives did not listen to what the pros needed. Their egos blew it for them. To me they have the mentality of what Kodak did. They did not foresee the future in camera bodies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That wouldn't be such a bad partnership. The A chips are very powerful and efficient. Cue HF and some more theories.

===

AND the current theory is that Apple is STILL in the Hunt to buy ALL of Canon ...OR... get an exclusive deal on their chipmaking expertise. (Canon is Number 2 or Number 3 in the world for overall chip making toolsets). Again, I suspect Apple is looking to take CPU/GPU Chip and Super High Resolution 8K Display production ENTIRELY IN-HOUSE which means they ARE LIKELY to buy EITHER Canon or Texas Instruments.

In MY opinion, I suggest Canon simply goes to Qualcomm and buy those Multi-core SnapDragon 845 ARM chips which can EASILY handle 4K and 8K imaging at a full 60 fps WITH real-time colour correction and effects. That would boost the IQ of EVERY Canon camera in a package barely the size of a postage stamp!
And at $80 to $120 US wholesale for the SnapDragon 845, Canon can EASILY get a discount to keep the chips in the $70 to $85 range to make it worth their while!

---

On a secondary note, my Euro sources STILL HAD NO IDEA the R-series was coming. They were adamant it was a Vixia/XF-405 replacement OR an XC-15 replacement. It WAS a new XF-series that was introduced (I should ALSO note that the new XF-series video camera is STILL A GREAT CAMERA). I am inclined to believe that the XC-15 (XC-20?) with an interchangeable lens and 60 fps 4k/120 fps1080 on a one inch sensor is coming and THAT is what is PROBABLY going to be announced in January since we saw NO such announcement in September.

I am still rather adamant about the in-the-wild testing of a VERY LARGE SENSOR Medium Format 50 megapixel high frame rate combined stills/video camera from Canon coming very-soon-now! Too many sources have been saying the same thing for over two years now!

---

On a final note, wait until you see the coming surprise camera from an unspecified manufacturer................WHAT A DOOOZIE !!!!!

Upvote 0

wickedac

I'm old here.
Jul 19, 2017
Worcester, MA
Am I the only one who has no interested in increased resolution beyond what's already offered in the 5DIV? I feel like they hit the apex with that sensor. The files are gigantic already and when I come back from a wedding with 2000-3000 files on average I really don't care to have even bigger files to manage.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The problem is Canon came late to the game and I cannot wait any longer. I need a high end pro mirrorless camera for my work flow. I do not want a camera with one card slot. I have already been burned twice with two cards the computer said it could not read the cards. One lab wanted $1500 to get the images back. I always shoot with two cards now. I also need a mirrorless camera that can shoot mutiple photos while in the silent mode. Second Sony and Fuji has taken a large market share away from Canon and that goes with Nikon too. I own the Fuji XT-2 system along with a number of Canon 5D Mark lll's and lenses. I have been happy with the Fuji camera but I also need a full frame mirrorless camera and I believe the Sony a9 to be the type of camera I need right now. It is a camera that can shoot better in lower light setting and higher ISO's than the Fuji cameras. I have learned that Canon sales people and technicians know knowing about new product development. Their job is either to fix or sell the products that are in the market place. I asked a few Canon reps two years ago at the NAB show in Las Vegas what is Canon going to do with the professional mirrorless camera market and they had no clue.

---

If I were you, I would HIGHLY SUGGEST taking a look at the Fuji XT3. It's specs and performance are basically like having a 5D-Mk4 in a size of something that is about a Sony A7s2 (i.e. a LOT SMALLER and LIGHTER than the 5Dmk4!) After seeing a local demo of it in Vancouver, Canada, It is a VERY NICE camera for the size and money! It's video capabilities are TRULY impressive. You DO NOT actually NEED a full frame camera...what you NEED is a GREAT LENS and the very best F/1.2 or F/1.4 35mm or 50mm lens you can afford is what you should be spending your money on INITIALLY. Then you spend your money on a FAST 85mm and 135 lens. For an action/wildlife/sports zoom lens, get an adapter and put on the Sigma 150 to 600 mm Sports Zoom which is the BEST DEAL for the zoom lens money right now!!!

Upvote 0
I can't seem to find it but I'm pretty sure some site mentioned that Canon was setting up a new production line for their processors that can produce a much smaller die. Right now the digic 8 processors are somewhere around a 35-40nm process. Most new phones use somewhere around a 10nm process, and most 'cheap' phones using previous years processes are still around 23nm or smaller.

Just shrinking the die means they can put twice as many transistors in the same amount of space, or they can choose to just keep the number the same and have less power consumption and greater speed. A combination of the two could lead to some very speedy digic processors.

However the size of the actual sensor is hard to shrink at this point, because of the physics of light. That's why stacking the processors can be so effective, as the signal can travel backwards to a corresponding set of transistors to do initial processing rather than through a trace all the way to the edge of the board before being handed off to those transistors. (this is different than Foveon's use of the term 'stacked', where they actually stack the sensors themselves to capture more light).

I'd lean towards a 1dx style camera in 1st quarter with dual digic or a new die-shrunk digic 9. I hope we will see one of their new stacked sensors in production soon though because that opens the door to 4k/8k 120fps. Right now they can't do that because of the heat and bandwidth. Smaller processes for the stacked portion of the die and external digics mean more bandwidth + less power which equals less heat.

the problem for Canon moving to smaller dies are cost to make them. I am not sure if Canon makes their own SOC's but it is unfair to compare a SOC made in the millions to something Canon uses in such a small production number. It would be cheaper to have Samsung do the manufacture (if they already don't) then Canon themselves invest in the equipment. Still i agree with you on if they could use smaller dies it would be an incredible step up in mirrorless bodies, even if it's just for power savings.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one who has no interested in increased resolution beyond what's already offered in the 5DIV? I feel like they hit the apex with that sensor. The files are gigantic already and when I come back from a wedding with 2000-3000 files on average I really don't care to have even bigger files to manage.

Hence why the flagship bodies from Nikon and Canon use low mp sensors compared to the pro line stuff.

Upvote 0