Another Canon EOS R series body mentioned [CR2]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
IBIS, eye auto focus, 4K, etc., as long as matching Sony a7riii in term of functions and price, I will start buying Canon R, including RF 50mm F1.2 L.

Just wait for a decent Canon R body. I think this is what majority of Canon customers plan to do.
The majority ain't buying full frame.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
TBH it's all the current R model needs to be pro :D
Having used the R frequently for the past two months, I would concur. Well, that is if they put the joystick in the regular spot and not the Touch Bar spot. They need to move the back focus button back to that spot. Worst part of the R so far, by far.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
I have come to really enjoy the Touch Bar and wold be very disappointed if it were gone. It is a perfect interface to quickly dial in correct kelvin settings. I can't think of a reason why I would need a joystick.
I mean, it's great that you have found a good use for it, but I think the VAST majority of users would prefer a joystick. I had to turn off the function bar completely because I kept accidentally activating it. For any sort of action photography, or even trying to take photos of moving kids, is pretty touch without it.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Actually, the dumb thing for them would be to choose what the competition uses. I already explained it, just seemed to slip by somehow...

Even the C700 uses CFast cards that's what Canon chose and will continue to do so (and it is also backed up by CFA, Arri, and Blackmagic ) until they feel it's worth upgrading, so it's a moot point if it has no tangible advantages at this point in time, but costs more money.

We will have to wait and see. CFast slots are bigger, slower and not upgradeable. The format has reached the end of its life. Still, Canon put an old CF slot in the 5D Mark IV when that format was already way past its best before date so nothing would surprise me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
TBH it's all the current R model needs to be pro :D

The lack of joystick is no problem right now. But if they added the joystick and still enabled focus on the screen as is now, then two styles of shooters would be satisfied. The camera is so good right now, the dual card slot matter is probably the biggest log blocking a stream of buyers. I own the EOS R and even with one slot, if all it could work with was the RF 50mm 1.2 it would practically be worth it just for that. But it's crazy exceptional with the adapted EF lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
Having used the R frequently for the past two months, I would concur. Well, that is if they put the joystick in the regular spot and not the Touch Bar spot. They need to move the back focus button back to that spot. Worst part of the R so far, by far.
Correct, I don’t like the place of the AF-On button on EOS R as I use it for AF (I disabled AF function of shutter release button). Touch Bar I don’t really like it.

Upvote 0
50 MP
12 FPS
No blackout on shutter
Flippy Screen
Eye Tracking
1000 shot battery life
Silent Shutter
Computational abilities to track BIF
4K Uncropped
Great news Canon have been listening to me at last

Maybe I'm reading too much into it the post ;)
make that animal eye focus and add a buffer for 50-100 raw and that would be my dream camera (at least for now)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If it isn't worse-specced than the R, a joystick instead of the touch bar would get me to buy one, as I have a friend who would happily take my R at a slight discount.
Talys, how has AF accuracy been with adapted EF lenses? I'm also hoping there will soon (made by somebody) be an M42 to RF mount adapter.

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
Surely the only people that think Canon have to compete with Sony on specs, are interested only in specs.

Exactly, but Sony also has to compete with Canon on specs, too. Canon has faster glass, and the EOS R has better AF detection range (down to -6 EV which is better than Sony A7S II). The usability you get from that doesn't usually transcribe into a spec sheet. With that being said, since Canon has fast heavy glass like RF 50 f/1.2 without image stabilization, an added IBIS would be very helpful.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I mean, it's great that you have found a good use for it, but I think the VAST majority of users would prefer a joystick. I had to turn off the function bar completely because I kept accidentally activating it. For any sort of action photography, or even trying to take photos of moving kids, is pretty touch without it.
“Pretty touch without it”? What does that mean?

80% of my shooting is very activ kids, the R is great for that, and the Touch Bar doesn’t change that. If I wasn’t using BBF, the Touch Bar would have been a place to rest my thumb. But normally my thumb is on the AF-ON button..

Upvote 0
I just did a lookup on the speeds of Cfast and while it's an older system it still writes at 300mb/s vs XQD's 440mb/s.

Cards are cheaper too. With the current R topping out at 175mb/s write anyway I can't see a burning need for a faster card protocol, even the Current max CF cards write at 160mb/s

SD was always the bottleneck. While read speeds could always improve when copying files to the computer so long as one card (UHS-ii) is present I've never had a burning need for a faster card, or see a practical use for one. But that's just my option for my use case.

You'd have to be putting a heck of a lot of data through continuously. Maybe the EOS Cinema line but cameras that do video? Hmmm.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Are you sure about CF Express? I thought it was the CF Association doing it.

You're right. In some ways CFExpress evolved out of XQD (which was already using the PCI Express bus), but it adopted, like CF and CFast cards before, the main storage access technology used on contemporary computing devices - it was PATA for CF, SATA for CFast, and now NVMe for CFExpress.

XQD used its own protocol, not a more standard and widely used one. Modern operating systems all support NVMe, so accessing cards won't need any special driver, ensuring better interoperability - and broader use.

Unlike the two previous standards that were designed for spinning disks, NVMe is optimized for solid-state disks (and cards) - and can reach far higher performance. If a camera needs to support faster storage access for more mpx, higher fps and hi-res. high-quality video, CFast will be soon enough a dead end.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Probably true that the vast majority of users who have grown accustomed to using a joystick don't like not having one, while the considerably larger population of users who have never used a joystick don't miss what they have never experienced.

Upvote 0