No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
I never said that Canon wasn't doing well. The term hemorrhaging means bleeding. There is no disputing Sony has become a big player. I am buying a used 1DX mkII shortly from someone going over to Sony. One of my shooting partners has swapped to Sony. They have serious momentum and some damn good cameras and represent stiff competition.
LOL. If you prick your finger on a rose thorn, that’s a hemorrhage? The term hemorrhaging means copious, severe bleeding. You might want to look that one up. One person you know has swapped to Sony? OMG, Canon is doomed!! :rolleyes:

We both know you are implying that Canon is in some sort of trouble because of Sony’s ‘serious momentum’. Except that the reality of sales numbers show that simply not true, so now you’re waffling on your claim when faced with facts.

Sony was a ‘big player’ in APS-C MILCs, too. It’s easy to be a big player in a segment where there is no competition. Remember when Sony was selling tons of NEX cameras and Canon was in trouble because they didn’t have any mirrorless offerings? Then came the EOS M, and Sony pivoted to FF MILCs, and a few years later who is the market leader in APS-C MILCs? Canon. Now there’s the R and the RP, and Sony really has nowhere left to pivot. Remember Vaio?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
How come this can be interpreted has...."normal" or without surprise? Canon is 3 years behind! They have answered to a change in the market in a terrible slower way! In the same way How come the lenses can serve as an excuse?? No way!! RF adapters and the existing lenses can give Canon the confidence to launch a Pro body! If they don´t launch it is because they don´t have it!
I don´t believe i am saying this.....but i see the good bye Canon, closer and closer....

indeed..... let the ewig gestrigen use canon until they drop dead.

i can shoot great images with any a camera.
and i buy the ones that offer me the most for my money.

canons cripple cameras are sure not that attractive anymore.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised. The High MP camera is not the one I want next. I'm waiting for a 5D IV replacement which seems now to be a long way off.
I'm still not sure why Canon is pushing pro lens without a pro camera.
The RP will sell well but it seems a camera to me that requires some cheaper lens.
Maybe by hinting at no more new cameras in 2019 they are trying to encourage sales of the existing mirrorless cameras.
I wonder is Canon haven't difficulty designing a more advanced mirrorless camera.
I am guessing that some major component of the “pro” R has been delayed in its development. Could be the new sensor, or improved EVF, or faster processor. Production problems often cause schedules to slip.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
when canon is doing so well why they lay of staff in america and some european countrys?
staff from the camera division.....
Because the overall camera market is contracting!

If you used to sell 10,000,000 P&S’s a year and now sell 1,000,000 how many people are you going to keep employing in the P&S division? How many people are you going to keep in shipping and warehousing and logistics and marketing if you are manufactureing 9,000,000 less physical products per year?

If you sell that 1,000,000 for several times the money of the old ones, GX7 II vs ELPH 180, you can make more profit on lower turnover with incredible operational savings due to lower physical volume.

All the camera manufacturers have said the same thing, they are looking to increase profit per unit and raise the price per unit to counteract the smaller market.

Upvote 0
Absolutely NOT. There are too many options available. Doesn't make sense for Canon to bypass wedding season for 2020 and release only pro level lenses without a pro body, placing there bets on a camera days before the Tokyo Olympics. My bet would be that Canon as usual is holding it's cards until this summer.

All depends on personal preference. I just got a very good eal on the EOS R +RF 24-105L kit. With my 6D MKII makes a perferct pairing - for ME ...

Upvote 0
So, what features are missing in current cameras that:
a) make an actual measurable difference in image quality
b) make an actual measurable difference in what images are practical to capture
c) both fall in either of the above categories AND require the absence of a mirror box

I know of only one feature that would arguably fall in category c: no more cropped bokeh balls. That's solved by removing the mechanical obstruction that is the mirror box. That's already solved by both the R series bodies, right? What's next?

Ibis? You can combine that with a mirror.
Eye AF? That too.
Floppy flippy screen? Come on!
Lightweight body? Have you seen the 6D?
Exposure preview, focus peaking or zebra stripes in viewfinder? Just make the (now 300k pixel) light meter slightly higher resolution and add an oled display in the ovf stack where there are already LEDs.
The slapping mirror makes an astonishing small impact on the overall system once you really start to think about it.

Just to name a few:

• No More AMFA (Just that is worth the price of admission)
  • Liveview in EVF (Does wonders in low light situations, you see you subject)
  • Focus Peaking
  • High burst rate even in Quiet Shutter Settings
  • Quieter Shutter Operations

... and thats just a few.

Upvote 0
The R is fantastically capable and I don't see a huge amount that can be improved for still photog (other than making it bigger, heavier, but sturdier and more ergonomic, and of course IBIS).

That's an interesting thought. It always seems that customers are looking for small and light cameras, but I wonder how many people, like you and me, favor a sturdy, tough camera suitable for big hands. A camera that will withstand the dangers of many days outside the studio.

And of course IBIS, and of course great low light sensitivity, and of course a fantastic AF, and of course at least 8.5 fps.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
While, I expect the rumor is true, Canon has different design teams and a different production lines for lenses and camera bodies, so either there is more work to be done in getting a new body ready, or its a pragmatic decision to wait for the new lenses. I suspect that its a matter of the design being ready, a high mp or pro level body can work just fine with existing EF lenses and sales would not be hampered by those waiting for new lenses.

There is also probably the matter of the competition and what they are developing that comes into play. The competition is going to be stiff and may result in modifications to the planned design. If so, that results in a all out effort to get back on track.

In addition, their best designers are probably working on the 1DX II replacement and may need more time to get it right before those key designers are freed up to help solve the inevitible issues with the new mirrorless design.

There are lots of possible reasons, but I would not pick the new lenses as the reason because they are not a essential requirement to release the new body..

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I hope you are out and on your feet soon, and we get to enjoy your posts for many years to come.

(((())))
Back home and feeling great! Atrial flutter (different from afib). Had the ablation procedure yesterday and went home this morning. Had a very elevated heart rate for about 8 months, 145 bpm, but not pounding. Almost unnoticeable. Decided to have it checked a week ago. They got me right in at Baylor's new heart hospital in Plano. My wife has a bad valve, so if we hadn't been regularly checking hers, we'd have never noticed mine. I got lucky.

I've not got a bill yet... but it is probably safe to say there won't be any new gear the rest of the next year or two. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Back home and feeling great! Atrial flutter (different from afib). Had the ablation procedure yesterday and went home this morning. Had a very elevated heart rate for about 8 months, 145 bpm, but not pounding. Almost unnoticeable. Decided to have it checked a week ago. They got me right in at Baylor's new heart hospital in Plano. My wife has a bad valve, so if we hadn't been regularly checking hers, we'd have never noticed mine. I got lucky.

I've not got a bill yet... but it is probably safe to say there won't be any new gear the rest of the next year or two. ;)
Bad news for Canon, excellent news for you!:)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

145! WOW! I can only hit that when pushing way too hard on the bike! I can’t imagine living with that!

Glad you will be OK and hope your finances will recover as well :)

Upvote 0
I always read "N..ew Body in 2019" skipping some characters ... after 25 years of internet usage my reading capabilities are a little bit damaged ... or it's just wishing for a new release that is exactly for me :)

Maybe Canon is thinking about and working on a strategy which fulfills two classes or FF users: Those who want the maximum resolution / IQ for landscape and studio and on the other hand those who need a very fast camera with very fast and reliable AF for sports / animals (the fast moving ones) / action.
Putting these features in ONE body seems impossible to me at least at a reasonable price below 20 000 EUR / $ .

A solution might be to introduce both flavours of a pro model at the same time knowing that selling pros some lemons will damage Canon with some long term effect - IMO this is the reason for the sequence
M50: look what above average non pro users say, launch the EOS R for the mid range between advanced amateurs and pros, than check what is possible in the cheapo FF sector. Set a foot into the FF mirrorless land and increase the attractivity of the system by putting a very interesting bunch of lenses into the market (compact 2.8 70 200 is ingenious). The lenses can shine with EOS R and EOS RP and make a lot of people lusting for a body, delaying decisions to leave the (Canon) boat, giving the company more time to make a successful first step into the FF mirrorless market.

Upvote 0
How come this can be interpreted has...."normal" or without surprise? Canon is 3 years behind! They have answered to a change in the market in a terrible slower way! In the same way How come the lenses can serve as an excuse?? No way!! RF adapters and the existing lenses can give Canon the confidence to launch a Pro body! If they don´t launch it is because they don´t have it!
I don´t believe i am saying this.....but i see the good bye Canon, closer and closer....
Canon isn't 3 years behind. Maybe some years late to market, but that's it.
Based on what is this 3 years coming from? How about this: Sony is 100 years behind Canon in terms of body ergonomy, menu consistency and body reliability and touch screen implementation and screen quality (even A9 has a bad LCD with almost no anti-reflection coating).
So there you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

epiieq1

EOS 5D III, 1DX
Aug 9, 2013
I always read "N..ew Body in 2019" skipping some characters ... after 25 years of internet usage my reading capabilities are a little bit damaged ... or it's just wishing for a new release that is exactly for me :)

Maybe Canon is thinking about and working on a strategy which fulfills two classes or FF users: Those who want the maximum resolution / IQ for landscape and studio and on the other hand those who need a very fast camera with very fast and reliable AF for sports / animals (the fast moving ones) / action.
Putting these features in ONE body seems impossible to me at least at a reasonable price below 20 000 EUR / $ .

A solution might be to introduce both flavours of a pro model at the same time knowing that selling pros some lemons will damage Canon with some long term effect - IMO this is the reason for the sequence
M50: look what above average non pro users say, launch the EOS R for the mid range between advanced amateurs and pros, than check what is possible in the cheapo FF sector. Set a foot into the FF mirrorless land and increase the attractivity of the system by putting a very interesting bunch of lenses into the market (compact 2.8 70 200 is ingenious). The lenses can shine with EOS R and EOS RP and make a lot of people lusting for a body, delaying decisions to leave the (Canon) boat, giving the company more time to make a successful first step into the FF mirrorless market.

I can see that. I can also see the opposite - "well, nothing anytime soon in a body, and so, as a business decision, I'll go with something else that does fit what I need now, not a year or two into the future. I'll have to start switching from EF to RF to truly take advantage of the system and not have to use a mount converter, so I might as well go with another company that offers X, Y, and Z now." Sure, Canon makes great gear, but loyalty goes in both directions.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Backing up frequently doesn't replace lost shots when a card fails. BTW: There are no professional cameras. There are professional photographers. I am no professional photographer when it comes to making a living at it. However, when I shoot an important event I try to be professional in action and demeanor. At those events I have set the standard for myself to shoot RAW to two cards at the same time. Why? Because some moments/shots cannot be redone. If one is willing to sign a contract to deliver a product, one better darn well be able to deliver. I suspect you don't own the 5D Mark IV nor the R. Your saying the R makes the Mark IV obsolete belies a gross unfamiliarity with one or both cameras. I volunteer shoot for a big fashion charity. Models, designers, MUAH, etc. all pay for their photos. Proceeds go to the charity work. All of it. If a card fails on me I could lose dozens of shots that cannot be duplicated. Huge time constraints. Those people will have sometimes traveled halfway around the world and paid good money to the charity. They'd have to be refunded. I'd then have a reputation as unreliable. So would the charity. Different story if I'm shooting portraits at the park. I've studied at getting an RP myself, but as an extreme emergency backup to my dual slot camera. Probably will go 5D IV or V instead... unless a dual slot R gets released. Even then, to be able to use RF lenses, not because the 5 series is obsolete.
I'm presently planning a trip to Japan, and I could never even imagine using a camera with a single card-slot.
Oops, I forgot I would never go to Japan without my Leica, but there, I don't have a choice.
Canon gives me the choice (5D 3 & new: 5 D 4 :love:).

Upvote 0