The RF mount “Holy Trinity” should be ready to ship before the end of July 2019 [CR2]

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
If the EVF and fps don't get any better (in the next year) then dual slots is the least of your worries for those yearning for a Pro R model. Then again, we come full circle to 'What makes a Pro body' argument again. Seems like over and over the 5D4 is the solution and winner for many not getting the tidbits they cry for from Canon. But alas, people have to have new toys.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
This is for the “Only Primes can be a Holy Trinity” folks . Later tonight shooting the Eos R on tripod) with Atomos Ninja V plus Canon 35L 1.4 Mk2 for video. 1DX2 with monster 85L 1.4 IS for stills in hand. Two of your three Trinity members View attachment 184311

Those two lenses will get you 2/3 the way to heaven

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You know, in 10 years professional shooting (architecture) I've never once had a card failure. I have had a circuit board replaced and a T-S mechanism, but that's it. I'm using a one-card R now all the time, my 5Div gathers dust as a back-up now. Maybe I should be losing sleep. I am probably going to start using an iPad and Canon Connect, but mainly so clients can 'look over my shoulder' without bumping the tripod.
Yeah, well, the building will still be there in an hour, tomorrow, next week, next year, and 20 years from now. One can always go back and get another shot, or better shot, should a card fail. Not so with weddings, ball games, etc. I've never had a card fail either, but I do mostly portraits and almost never for a special occasion. The times I do a lot of shooting, fashion shows and model boot camps, I am happy to have an extra card recording the shots. In cases like weddings, fashion shows, model boot camps, nuptial boudoir, etc., a card failure would be a disaster. I'd hate to hang my reputation on, "Oops. Sorry." I'm not even a pro, but I still run in some circles where that would be ruinous. If I were an architectural photographer, maybe one slot would be "okay". However, I would imagine some shots could take quite a while to perfect. Losing work because I was too cheap to spring for a $20 card just would not make sense... if I were a pro. Seems like real inexpensive insurance to me. (plus the expense difference of a 2 card camera). To be honest, I have started putting each model on a separate backup card of her own.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Lot of folks say the third is a 24mm while others say 50. I tend to lean more to 24mm cuz 50 is too close to 35. Or for me... its a 135 lol

For me, I don't have any interest in the 40-70mm focal length, so a 35, 85, and some sort of tele-zoom is ideal : ) I do leave room to be persuaded into a 15-35, but only if it's optically spectacular.

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Can you guys imagine the kicker when canon releases a ML camera with two card slots... SD and CF?? :ROFLMAO:

I'm no pro but I have had two instances that the dual card system saved my butt. One, a card failure. Someone did post that you can transfer via cable.. Do you know how slow that process is? and it uses your camera battery. Anyways, I lost everything on that card but thankfully I had my CF card backup that I was able to access my files from. Second, lost card. It happens and probably will happen to you at some point. In that case, I have my other card in the camera. I don't see it as professional but rather security. Whatever you shot, it may be important for memories or to put in your portfolio. It may be a paid shoot where the shots that you took will be appreciated by others for years to come - it's significantly important.

Will card issues happen? I say absolutely. Can it be avoided? Yes. Do you absolutely need two slots? No. Will I buy a camera with a single slot to shoot with for paid events or photographic vacations? Absolutely not.

btw, Sony's dual card system doesn't matter in my book.. because their cameras will just die from the elements. haha

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Yeah, well, the building will still be there in an hour, tomorrow, next week, next year, and 20 years from now. One can always go back and get another shot, or better shot, should a card fail. Not so with weddings, ball games, etc. I've never had a card fail either, but I do mostly portraits and almost never for a special occasion. The times I do a lot of shooting, fashion shows and model boot camps, I am happy to have an extra card recording the shots. In cases like weddings, fashion shows, model boot camps, nuptial boudoir, etc., a card failure would be a disaster. I'd hate to hang my reputation on, "Oops. Sorry." I'm not even a pro, but I still run in some circles where that would be ruinous. If I were an architectural photographer, maybe one slot would be "okay". However, I would imagine some shots could take quite a while to perfect. Losing work because I was too cheap to spring for a $20 card just would not make sense... if I were a pro. Seems like real inexpensive insurance to me. (plus the expense difference of a 2 card camera). To be honest, I have started putting each model on a separate backup card of her own.
What if the building was the Notre Dame Cathedral, and you're back home in (Chicago-Beijing-Tokyo- Moscow) or even Paris and notice your card crashed? :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Yes. Wedding photographer here. I use only cameras with two slots for the redundancy and safety to safeguard their once in a lifetime images. Anything less is just irresponsible.

I do understand a lot of pro applications don't need that redundancy because you can have a studio with a tethered camera. But everyone jumping to the R at this moment in time, because they are too impatient to wait another 7 months for a dual slot R should check if it's just GAS driving it. Even if you are not a pro shooting someones wedding, or a landscape that you won't be able to reproduce, the loss of images can be devastating.

As for theft, I keep one copy of the cards on my person on all times, and another copy in my smallest bag. That way if someone steals my big suitcase of gear at a wedding they don't get the files. If I am robbed in the parking lot, they will never find the cards in my pocket.
I keep a 64gb CF card in our Mark IVs at all times and swap out 16gb SD cards periodically and keep them separate from our gear in case of theft.

I once served as an expert witness in court while another photographer was being sued by the client. The photographer was a hack of the worst kind ripping off wedding clients.

I can tell you from that experience, being a pro photographer and charging market rates, the judge and plaintiff are going to wonder why you don’t have the industry standard of two slots in your camera if you have catastrophic failure.

The questions will be asked, how long have cameras offered two slots? How much are those cameras and are they typically used in your industry and by photographers in your price point?

They’ll most likely consider it an act of negligence on your part. What’s the likelihood any of this could happen to you? I don’t know, never? But all it takes us once and it will cost you way more than the cost of upgrading to a pro body with two slots.

And by the way, you probably won’t have the luxury of defining industry standard, pro, negligence, etc. It will be pretty tough for a defendant to explain why they felt a $2,300 body instead of a $3,000 body was adequate when charging over $3,000 per wedding or $150 and more per hour for an event. If the technology is there, affordable, and widely used in your industry, you can expect them to expect you to be using it.

But this is worst case scenario. Best case, you have a great contract and understanding clients and you’ve already refunded them a pro rate, half, or in full, for the loss. Which most likely would’ve gotten you better bodies with two slots as well....and kept your sanity and reputation in tact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What if the building was the Notre Dame Cathedral, and you're back home in (Chicago-Beijing-Tokyo- Moscow) or even Paris and notice your card crashed? :unsure:

Pre-Fire does it matter other than to you, there are thousands of pictures of the Notre Dame Cathedral. Yours is just one of a multitude.
During the fire though, how would you ever recreate it.

Upvote 0
Well...the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L should come in around $1,799 or $1,899USD, the RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS around $1,999 or even $2,199USD, and the RF 70-210mm f/2.8L IS around $2,399 or $2,299USD. I would be pleasantly surprised if my pricing is overstated by $100-$200USD but sadly don't think this will be the case. Hard to say though because they may want to come in around the current EF pricing at least of the Mk III on the big lens and the little zoom. But with the addition of IS on the 24-70mm I don't see any way on God's green earth it comes in at the same price point as the current EF version. (I should clarify - the non-sale prices for the EF versions.)

I would be ecstatic if your guess held up.

My hunch is
15-35 @ $2299
24-70 @ $2399
70-200 @ $2499
85 @ $2299

Upvote 0

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
Lot of folks say the third is a 24mm while others say 50. I tend to lean more to 24mm cuz 50 is too close to 35. Or for me... its a 135 lol

I'm more of a 35/50/85 guy.
Not sure why but the difference between 35 and 50 seems really significant I need the opposite lens. I am always switching between the two. I bought into the Fuji X system for travel and only own 35 and 50 equivalents- the simplicity of only owning those two lenses is liberating.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Obviously, you didn't understand that you were using an inferior camera that prevented you from taking good pictures. If you had just listened to the experts on this forum, you would have realized that it was a waste to try to take pictures with such a pathetic instrument and you would have just stayed home.
Second that (sarcasm included), I was on a trip to Rio a week after getting my RP, and while I had a few snafus it delivered some amazing pictures, and the "small" looks of the RP + RF 24-105 were preferable to the 5D with the EF equivalent. Once in safe tourist places the 11-24 and 100-400 adapted well and produced some great pictures. There is a learning curve to mirrorless, but these are great cameras all.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
I'm more of a 35/50/85 guy.
Not sure why but the difference between 35 and 50 seems really significant I need the opposite lens. I am always switching between the two. I bought into the Fuji X system for travel and only own 35 and 50 equivalents- the simplicity of only owning those two lenses is liberating.
Same with the 35 & 85 w 70-200. At one point I had 35, 50, 85, 135, 200 for weddings and the lens swapping was getting ridiculous.

I’m really waiting for a pro R body with two slots and I’m jumping ship to get the 28-70 f2 & 70-200. Sell all my primes and maybe pick up an 85, 105, or 135 RF depending on what comes out next year. Would love to get the benefits of nearly 3 primes in one lens with the f2 and just focus on shooting all day instead of swapping.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Same with the 35 & 85 w 70-200. At one point I had 35, 50, 85, 135, 200 for weddings and the lens swapping was getting ridiculous.

I’m really waiting for a pro R body with two slots and I’m jumping ship to get the 28-70 f2 & 70-200. Sell all my primes and maybe pick up an 85, 105, or 135 RF depending on what comes out next year. Would love to get the benefits of nearly 3 primes in one lens with the f2 and just focus on shooting all day instead of swapping.

+100, precisely what I am going to do with a slight correction: I am going to keep 35/1.4, 85/1.4, 100 (2.8?)MACRO in addition to wide aperture zooms

I found that I do need F1.4 at 35mm quite frequently - (dim lit dance floors, etc.) an extra stop goes long way at times.
I am going hybrid : DSLR + MILC dual Pro Canon bodies with MILC + 28-70 F2.0 - for AF critical situations, poor light, wide shots and 5D IV with longer glass on it (OVF, real time tracking, sports)...

P.S. I tried tracking with Sony and Canon R. It gives me a cracker of a headache! I am wearing glasses (astigmatism). I won't survive an hour shooting fast moving subjects with a MILC. it is a real issue for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I wouldn’t normally shoot with two cards but when it’s a critical once off shoot I use two cards. I agree it’s a very cheap insurance. I have had SD cards fall apart. They are fragile enough. Weddings , babies , events you can’t go back and shoot again. Canon must feel pro lens and no pro camera is better than a pro camera with few pro lens available. My curiosity is what will they bring out as a pro camera. If it’s a 5DIV like or 5DSR like then not much progress has been made and bar dual slots you may as well buy an RP. It will be interesting if they can make a step forward on the 5DIV. I’d like a camera that I’d say is distinctly better than a 5DIV in ISO performance,FPS and focusing

Upvote 0
The word is no, at least until the laws of physics expire. The filters are dropped into the adapter required to use a 44mm flange distance EF lens on a 20mm flange distance RF mount.
Only chance is to let the drop in filter drop into the camera itself. Just in front of the shutter - but this might include to rework the mechanics (shutter, motors, etc.) close to the sensor area to be flat enough to adapt a 45mm round filter. Round would be preferable for polarizers - for all others 25 x 37mm would be enough.

Another caveat: Transporting dust onto the camera sensor "more efficiently".

Upvote 0
Well that's just your conjecture. If that was the case we'd have had dual-CF or dual-SD from the outset instead of a mix of the two types.

It's not just about card failure in the camera, but also in the reader. Keep one in the camera and feed the other into the PC.

The better way IMO would be to create a data mirror via WLAN or Bluetooth to a watertight mini computer remote from the camera e.g. in your backpack. It saves you from loss of the camera, catastrophic power failures in the camera (e.g. overvoltage).

But maybe the dual card slot is the best compromise between reliability and efforts!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0