Canon’s roadmap for 2019, included an EOS R camera that no one is expecting? [CR2]

How about a form factor change for the body - an R mount on a cube. Canon has a similar start with an entry level video camera (xc-10). It would solve the vertical/horizontal dilemma with a square image (new square sensor perhaps), could offer interchangeable viewfinders (lucrative accessory market) , provide internal space for larger (or multiple) batteries (another option?), utilize the R mount to stimulate lens sales, have a variety of "handle" options and provide some industry innovation Canon seldom gets credit for.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I hear ya.. the thing I want the most is amazing low light performance as my favourite subjects often live in dull, light deprived jungles. I more often than not crop a final image too so a lower number of bigger pixels isn’t really the way to go for me. If the 90D with it’s rumoured 32mpx sensor or whatever it was is clean up to iso 3200 I’ll be happy with that!
I'm wondering if the head scratching part of a new R mount might be a body that is essentially the same as the rumored 90d, but with an RF mount and mirrorless. That would be a head scratcher to some but not entirely out of character for Canon. This is the same company that released the 80d followed up by the 77d months later.

If that happened and I was offered the option I'd skip upgrading to a 90d and buy that hypothetical camera as it would allow me to start aquiring RF lenses.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I hear ya.. the thing I want the most is amazing low light performance as my favourite subjects often live in dull, light deprived jungles. I more often than not crop a final image too so a lower number of bigger pixels isn’t really the way to go for me. If the 90D with it’s rumoured 32mpx sensor or whatever it was is clean up to iso 3200 I’ll be happy with that!

(What I need is a 1dx ii and a 400mm f2.8
I'm wondering if the head scratching part of a new R mount might be a body that is essentially the same as the rumored 90d, but with an RF mount and mirrorless. That would be a head scratcher to some but not entirely out of character for Canon. This is the same company that released the 80d followed up by the 77d months later.

If that happened and I was offered the option I'd skip upgrading to a 90d and buy that hypothetical camera as it would allow me to start aquiring RF lenses.

Good point! Yer, I never understood the 77D either. One thing that mirrorless just couldn’t provide for me, and I’m guessing many others, is the ability to use it as a spotting scope. Think 8 hours or so at a bird nest, waiting for the occupant to poke its beak out. Surely that’d just flatten a mirrorless body’s battery?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Good point! Yer, I never understood the 77D either. One thing that mirrorless just couldn’t provide for me, and I’m guessing many others, is the ability to use it as a spotting scope. Think 8 hours or so at a bird nest, waiting for the occupant to poke its beak out. Surely that’d just flatten a mirrorless body’s battery?
Yeah, but a portable power bank would help. However I think you'd run into overheating.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Sounds like a 90D and an M body with the same new sensor. That makes good economic sense when volumes are down. The M lenses are mostly not fast, but they are ALL nice and sharp and on the DPAF bodies they focus quickly and accurately. If you want a big telephoto, there is no reason not to use the adapter since a native lens wouldn't be materially smaller anyway. A 32 MP APS-C sensor translates to an 82 MP FF sensor at the same pixel pitch and that seems about right for an R replacement for the 5DS series. Sony has focused on low ISO dynamic range. Canon may decide to focus on Megapixels. As a 5DSR owner, I have to say it is a very capable camera, so looking forward to the next generation and that would be the thing that would bring me into the R world.

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
I would like to see a Camera optimzed for ergonomics. The viewfinder should be placed in a way, that you need not to bend your nose or stub it against the rear side of the body - usually to the LCD-Screen. The buttons should be placed in a way, that you can change settings without taking the camera from the eye. Grip and release button should be placed at the left side of the camera and all settings at the right side with the possibilty to handle the buttons blindly without looking at them. This would be realy nice.

Upvote 0

Philrp

Waiting patiently for my APS-C EOS R
Sep 2, 2018
Or an R mount 7D-specced APS-C body with a compact RF-S 15-150mm zoom?

I'm thinking Canon is going to do 2 APS-C mirrorless bodies, one with M mount and the other with R mount and see which sells best.

I'd really love an EOS M5 Mark II with R mount to replace my 7DII

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
That’s pretty much what I’m hoping for, with a low Megapixel count. Wouldn’t say no to that patented flip up lcd.

Thinking of buying an EOS-R now and keeping it as a camera B/backup to whatever new model is introduced... hopefully sometime before September.
Yes, a lower pixel count with IBIS would be good. I have no interest in a larger pixel count. I use a 5DIV and that is great, but a smaller camera like a R would be nice, but it has to have IBIS for me to bite.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
EOS RPP with
- plastic mount
- LP-E 12 battery
- 12 MPix FF sensor with DPAF
- no adapter included
- @ 699 $/€
- with RF 50mm 1.8 lens for 100 $ /€ more?

The head scratcher will be the very good high ISO IQ and the 4k with only 1.1x crop.
I think it is this. Some Canon exec is allready on the record as saying there is a cheaper more crippled FF version of the RP comming. You left a zero off the end of the price of the 50 1.8.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

I am a 77D owner. For beginners like me, the budget is really an issue. Even $100 can be a big difference while making a decision for many people (like me). So, I guess giving a spectrum of price choices (80D, T7i, and 77D) with the same sensor (but having difference processors and other features related to usability) allows to cast a wider net to attract more consumers. But, this is not valid for pros for sure.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0