Canon increased its global market share of still cameras in 2018

Guys! Time for a reality check here!

I'm not even sure what they are measuring. The story reads as though they are measuring the overall camera market, which would include both DSLRs and Mirrorless and maybe even point and shoots and analog cameras.

If that's the case, remember that one of the top selling cameras worldwide is the Fuji Instax.

Remember too that among digital cameras, APS-C sensor cameras far outsell full frame so don't put too much weight on the sales of Sony, Canon or Nikon full frame mirrorless.

And, in terms of Nikon, keep in mind that they don't even have an APS-C mirrorless line.

Finally, it represents sales in 2018.

So, yeah, this shows Canon is gaining overall market share, but don't be getting all excited about the R system vs. Sony, because we don't even know if that's a factor in this report.
Seriously. I think the arguments between user bases have become so rapid that any article which supports a foregone conclusion is to be heralded as the ultimate truth. If reading so many of these article has shown me anything, it is that one number/report is rarely indicative of over-all performance, and there is always more to it. Looking at this one, I think we can safely suggest that Canon isn't going under as some articles would lead us to believe, but I wouldn't go a lot farther than that.

As an example, here's several articles which muddy the water on how one company or another is doing. To be clear - I'm not advocating any of these articles as being the actual fact of what's going on, just showing how articles like this can be very quickly and easily interpreted to say x is doing better than y, when how you look at it can present a very different picture:
  1. Nikon had the lead in full frame in Jan 2018 - https://www.dpreview.com/news/74010...he-full-frame-camera-market-for-december-2017
  2. No wait, Sony thinks it has the lead in full frame (Aug 2018) - https://petapixel.com/2018/08/15/sony-is-now-1-in-full-frame-cameras-in-the-us/
  3. That's ok, Canon has the lead in mirrorless AND DSLRs in Japan (Jan 2019) - https://petapixel.com/2019/01/15/canon-1-in-both-dslr-and-mirrorless-sales-in-japan-in-2018/
  4. Hang on though, both Canon and Nikon have sales down - https://petapixel.com/2019/05/10/canon-and-nikon-imaging-sales-drop-17-over-past-year/
  5. Ok, Canon and Nikon are down in sales, but Sony is now the leading manufacturer (Feb 2019) - https://www.insideimaging.com.au/2019/sony-now-the-market-leader/
  6. And as Canon and Nikon saw drops in sales, Sony found YOY growth (May 2019) - https://www.dpreview.com/news/37406...r-its-imaging-products-and-solutions-division
  7. Wait, no, Canon gained market share in 2018 on Sony and Nikon and is still firmly in the lead - https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-increased-its-global-market-share-of-still-cameras-in-2018/

See what I mean - I don't believe any of those articles are factually incorrect, but their interpretation of figures released certainly present different conclusions. I'm not at all saying Canon is dying, I'm saying let's take all of these articles with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Looks like Fuji are doing very well, a 25% increase in sales
Yeah, but when one only has 5.1% of total market share... 25% increase in sales is really, really easy to accomplish. Not really significant at this point. Think about it. If Fuji sold 1000 units, then 1,250 units gives a 25% increase. That's nothing. Fuji, Olympus, Sigma (cameras), and Pentax (Ricoh) are in real trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
@CR guy - would be great if you could get and share some additional info on this one.

what exactly was measured? really global sales or only japan? units? or yen, retail value or ex-factory prices?, what camera categories are included, which are not? only camera bodies or also kits with lenses included? what market research company did it? etc. etc.

"facts behind the facts", not just numbers without any context (at least none accessible in English language). otherwise it is about as useful as a "DXO score". :)

thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Go Canon! Once a pro R is released and something that wildlife shooters can use comes out, I think Sony’s share will fall. Im surprised at how small of a share Olympus holds though!

Really excited about Canons R series! Just look how far the M series has progressed is a few years. Give it a couple of years and Canons R series, both lenses and bodies, are going to smash it out the park!!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Go Canon! Once a pro R is released and something that wildlife shooters can use comes out, I think Sony’s share will fall. Im surprised at how small of a share Olympus holds though!

Really excited about Canons R series! Just look how far the M series has progressed is a few years. Give it a couple of years and Canons R series, both lenses and bodies, are going to smash it out the park!!
Olympus shouldn't surprise anyone. The shine has come off the apple when it comes to M43. Fuji is making a last gasp along with Pentax. Sigma is all but buried by now, last rites are being read. M43 is, for all practcal purposes, mostly useless when it comes to legacy lenses due to the horrendous crop. I mean, when a 28mm lens is an effective 56mm, a 135mm is an effective 270mm, an a 400mm Mamiya/Sekor is an effective 800mm, there really isn't anything appealing about that market. Mine is a fine little camera, but it just is not very useful... no matter what the paid pros claim in their wedding photography world. I mean really, I have to get a 17mm Takumar the get an effective 34mm? It sucks. 8mm lens just to get an effective 16mm? Basically an M43 camera is about the same price as an RP and the RP is FF and nearly as small. Don't have that stupid 2X crop to worry with either. M43 is going to die, (My opinion) or be a very niche market. (Already is, really.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Olympus shouldn't surprise anyone. The shine has come off the apple when it comes to M43. Fuji is making a last gasp along with Pentax. Sigma is all but buried by now, last rites are being read. M43 is, for all practcal purposes, mostly useless when it comes to legacy lenses due to the horrendous crop. I mean, when a 28mm lens is an effective 56mm, a 135mm is an effective 270mm, an a 400mm Mamiya/Sekor is an effective 800mm, there really isn't anything appealing about that market. Mine is a fine little camera, but it just is not very useful... no matter what the paid pros claim in their wedding photography world. I mean really, I have to get a 17mm Takumar the get an effective 34mm? It sucks. 8mm lens just to get an effective 16mm? Basically an M43 camera is about the same price as an RP and the RP is FF and nearly as small. Don't have that stupid 2X crop to worry with either. M43 is going to die, (My opinion) or be a very niche market. (Already is, really.)
Very true.

Maybe Olympus should ditch the M43 and go full frame? Ah, whatever. I use a Canon anyway.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
The bottom line is that it is hard to dispute a leader when they hold twice the market share of their next two competitors and each of those competitors has only half of the leaders share. I have a lot of Canon gear, but I have been disappointed in their bodies since the 1dx II. I would actually prefer to see Canon loosing market share so it would light a fire under their b*** to release new tech from their RD vaults and implement some of the great patents they have filed. Hopefully, we will see some new sensor and AF improvements. It is too easy for a company with a financial lead to maximize profits over releasing new technologies as long as they can compete. The numbers seem to indicate they are not only competing but winning. They also understand that great lenses can buy them a lot of stickiness with customers. I have been interested in the capabilities of other bodies for awhile but not willing to give up my Canon lenses and nor willing to deal with non Canon adaptors. Sony has a bit of this apathy happening since they had a significant lead in mirrorless. I also agree with a previous poster about the Canon ergonomics and interface. I had a friends Nikon d850 to learn the camera and help them through some issues. Fantastic camera that can do anything, but the Canon interface was more straightforward. BTW - I did have fun and resolved my friends issues. I have also stayed with Canon because of CPS. Fuji & Panasonic seem to be releasing some of the most interesting products as of late.

I really hope the pro level R matches the quality of the RF lenses and I will make the full plunge into the R system with the exception of holding back my 1dx II + 200-400 until there is a comparable solution. Then again, you never know what the future will bring.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
sony has largely done well with video shooters with influencers lauding its obvious advantages but in the end the colours and menus work against it and with a canon equivalent over the horizon people are ever less likely to think short term
What are influencers, what or who are they influencing, who crowned them influencers.?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The bottom line is that it is hard to dispute a leader when they hold twice the market share of their next two competitors and each of those competitors has only half of the leaders share. I have a lot of Canon gear, but I have been disappointed in their bodies since the 1dx II. I would actually prefer to see Canon loosing market share so it would light a fire under their b*** to release new tech from their RD vaults and implement some of the great patents they have filed. Hopefully, we will see some new sensor and AF improvements. It is too easy for a company with a financial lead to maximize profits over releasing new technologies as long as they can compete. The numbers seem to indicate they are not only competing but winning. They also understand that great lenses can buy them a lot of stickiness with customers. I have been interested in the capabilities of other bodies for awhile but not willing to give up my Canon lenses and nor willing to deal with non Canon adaptors. Sony has a bit of this apathy happening since they had a significant lead in mirrorless. I also agree with a previous poster about the Canon ergonomics and interface. I had a friends Nikon d850 to learn the camera and help them through some issues. Fantastic camera that can do anything, but the Canon interface was more straightforward. BTW - I did have fun and resolved my friends issues. I have also stayed with Canon because of CPS. Fuji & Panasonic seem to be releasing some of the most interesting products as of late.

I really hope the pro level R matches the quality of the RF lenses and I will make the full plunge into the R system with the exception of holding back my 1dx II + 200-400 until there is a comparable solution. Then again, you never know what the future will bring.
Sony only ever had a lead in FF mirrorless because they were the only company in the FF MILC market. That's over now. I don't believe Sony ever held a lead in the ASP-C mirrorless market.

Upvote 0
@CR guy - would be great if you could get and share some additional info on this one.

what exactly was measured? really global sales or only japan? units? or yen, retail value or ex-factory prices?, what camera categories are included, which are not? only camera bodies or also kits with lenses included? what market research company did it? etc. etc.

"facts behind the facts", not just numbers without any context (at least none accessible in English language). otherwise it is about as useful as a "DXO score". :)

thanks!

I can answer most of this for CR ;)
  • Total Units of all digital cameras (including compact)
  • camera bodies, so those in kits as well.
  • global unit sales
Nikkei does it themselves, and puts the data behind a paywall.

However as I stated on my site about this article there's something weird about their percentage gains,etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kieth.
I know what you mean, I tried to help a lady set an exposure compensation on her Nikon for a sunset (in a hurry as the sun was setting), handed it back with apologies as I wasted 5 minutes or more getting nowhere.
Truth be told it might have been easier without the time pressure and I was muttering under my breath for her to RTFM! :rolleyes:

I will have to ask my friend that drives Nikon if he can show me! :)

Cheers, Graham.
Ps Canon, doomed, obviously, duh! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think Canon's success is multifaceted but it's ergonomics and the intuitive design is the key. If you don't have to use the instruction manual to navigate the system in a timely manner, that's big. I once tried to help a Nikon user with some setting and about tore my hair out. Word of mouth is another key selling point. For example: a "soccer mom"(sports mom) has friends that see the photos and realize their smart phone isn't cutting it. Parents want great photos of their children and some come to realize the advantage of a "real camera". Canon's ads are heavy on women, family and creativity.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0