A new EOS Rebel is coming this month, possibly an EOS Rebel T8i or entry level EOS M camera[CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We were sent a strange rumor this week, one we figured was a typo. “Canon will announce the EOS Joey in August”. So I took to Twitter to figure out what sort of autocorrect error would come up with “Joey”, and someone came up with “Kiss”, which is what Rebel’s are called on certain areas of the planet.
Which Rebel is due for replacement? We think the EOS Rebel T7i/800D/Kiss X9i is a little long in the tooth, as it was announced back in February of 2017.
There are no specifications at this time, but the bigger leaks are likely coming over the next week or two.
As pointed out on our forum, it’s possible that it could also mean a new entry-level EOS M camera is coming, as the EOS M50 also received the “Kiss” designation.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
yes! Just as entry level DSLRs are experiencing total market contraction, more Rebels are urgently needed. Way to go Canon!

Hope those Joeys come out with vastly improved Mk. II versions of EOS M5, M6, M50 and M100 soon, rather than wasting time and money on yet more rebel kisses of death.

I would figure lower manufacturing costs is a big reason a new Rebel would be produced. Modernizing parts shared across the EOS ecosystem and whatnot.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I would figure lower manufacturing costs is a big reason a new Rebel would be produced. Modernizing parts shared across the EOS ecosystem and whatnot.
Logical. That’s why they’ve updated the 18-55 kit lenses on multiple occasions with only cosmetic changes but lower production cost meaning incrementally higher unit profit on a high volume product.

But don’t mind canonical=AvTvM, he’s a little biased. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Yet another Rebel is last thing this world needs imo. Canon might introduce new tech, but not in the bottom models, where they have to introduce compromises anyway. If it is the Rebol instead of new M models, then I start to really scratch my head about Canon's strategy ....

Rebel's still sell. Not like they did 5 years ago, but they're still worthwhile to produce.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I wonder about the specs and the price. I mean the awareness of mirrorless cameras like the Fujifilm X-Txx series or the Sony A6xxx series is growing and even Canon's own cameras like the Canon M100, M50, M6 or M5 are way cheaper than the release date price of the old Canon 800D.
I wonder how sales of the 800D compared to sales of the M100, etc. Canon doesn’t have to wonder about that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
With the market contracting and Canon's great rep amongst the soccer moms and families needing more than a phone will do Canon will likely increase market share considerably in the inexpensive ILC market as others drop out. And Canon have that Costco, Best Buy etc marketing down like no other. You should see their massive tent at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, cameras on loan and free Canon camera cleaning they market like no other.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
With the market contracting and Canon's great rep amongst the soccer moms and families needing more than a phone will do Canon will likely increase market share considerably in the inexpensive ILC market as others drop out. And Canon have that Costco, Best Buy etc marketing down like no other. You should see their massive tent at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, cameras on loan and free Canon camera cleaning they market like no other.

This is an excellent point. A contracting market affects those at the bottom of the food chain more than the one at the top of the chain. DSLRs are far from dead and Canon likely sees an opportunity to further consolidate and dominate the market.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ONCE AGAIN... another rebel is the last thing most forum residents need, however the rest of the world doesn't live in your high DR, mic port, uncropped 4k world. We are a selfish lot.
I don’t know why the simple fact is so hard for some forum members to wrap their brains around, but that’s life.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Yet another Rebel is last thing this world needs imo. Canon might introduce new tech, but not in the bottom models, where they have to introduce compromises anyway. If it is the Rebol instead of new M models, then I start to really scratch my head about Canon's strategy ....

They can't just abandon the EOS system and Rebel users and expect everyone to buy a mirrorless and use the EF/S lenses with adaptor.
They will still need to maintain the line for the next 10 years or so. That's what a serious company does.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Rebel's still sell. Not like they did 5 years ago, but they're still worthwhile to produce.

Rebels have such a rock solid name reputation across the general populace, it could be foolish not to continue the line for a while.

Others above hinting to the the Rebel's age, could also be foolish. Just for example, I know lots of people who like 60's cars, 90's VW vans, turntables for music, etc.. So why not also a Rebel? Plus, the Rebels are still good technology without any more advancement.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
In Australia, Joey stands for the baby Kangaroo... Not sure if it's the target audience of the prospective camera...

roo-mum2.jpg

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
In Australia, Joey stands for the baby Kangaroo... Not sure if it's the target audience of the prospective camera...

roo-mum2.jpg
I love the way those guys twist themselves around in the pouch. They seem as flexible as cats.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0