Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Are we still comparing the R to the A9 ? *sigh*
Canon has nothing yet to compare to the A9, which is the issue of this thread. And there are those who are telling us that the R is a suitable wild-life camera, which it isn't and Canon isn't even marketing it as one.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Canon has nothing yet to compare to the A9, which is the issue of this thread. And there are those who are telling us that the R is a suitable wild-life camera, which it isn't and Canon isn't even marketing it as one.
To me, the R is more like the 5D3 when it came out. Great general purpose but not a specialized body in one aspect or another. Good for portraits, not great, Decent for birding, not good however. Very good for macro, not quite excellent. Good to great for landscapes (in the right hands) still some shortcomings (AA filter a bit too strong).

This isn't the LOTR with 'One Camera Body to rule them all'.

Folks love to bitch and whine how Canon isn''t making the body specs they want at the pricepoint they are willing to pay...however, if you find one from another manufacturer, please buy it, enjoy it and delete the Canon Rumors website from your bookmarks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I have not had that much trouble getting good to excellent wildlife results from the R using lenses from the 100-400 L IS ii to the 400/2.8 L IS and the 500/4 L IS ii, often with extenders both of necessity and curiosity. But then I started photographing wildlife using thumb drive cameras with manual focus and film. And I got salable results. So I say it is a usable wildlife photography camera.

That said, would I like the guts of a Nikon 850 stuffed into an R body? Yes, I would. That would be my ultimate wildlife and landscape camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Folks love to bitch and whine how Canon isn';t making the body specs they want at the pricepoint they are willing to pay...however, if you find one from another manufacturer, please buy it, enjoy it and delete the Canon Rumors website from your bookmarks.

Quite the reverse, if you are unable to take part in rational discussion and read views that are contrary to your own, it is for you to leave Canonrumors. It is discussion that leads to progress not putting on blinkers.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Suitability is subjective. In my opinion R is sutable for every photography genre but not great at anything. In that sense, I personally find that it is good for wild-life and for the fun of using it and for the quality level that I am happy with. I enjoy using and taking picture with it. That is what matters the most (to me).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I have not had that much trouble getting good to excellent wildlife results from the R using lenses from the 100-400 L IS ii to the 400/2.8 L IS and the 500/4 L IS ii, often with extenders both of necessity and curiosity. But then I started photographing wildlife using thumb drive cameras with manual focus and film. And I got salable results. So I say it is a usable wildlife photography camera.

That said, would I like the guts of a Nikon 850 stuffed into an R body? Yes, I would. That would be my ultimate wildlife and landscape camera.
What's a thumbdrive camera?

Upvote 0
That
It's the viewfinder, stupid!

Canon said they wouldn't produce a mirrorless camera until the viewfinder could be made as good as the optical viewfinder in a dSLR. Then they produced the R with a viewfinder that's not even as good as its contemporaries, much less the huge leap to an optical viewfinder.

Here's what I suggest:

Sensor: full-frame with pixels small enough for 8k at 1.6-crop. Yes, I know this is 39MP at 1.6-crop and 100MP at full-frame.

Read the sensor 4 pixel blocks at a time, convert those to RGB and send them to the microdisplay in the EVF. You'll have to do skipping depending on the field-of-view selected. Output directly to the display as you sample (and apply necessary curves/WB, etc.). Do this at 500fps to a 4k OLED microdisplay. Adjust the display's brightness to match the brightness of the outside world, which will require a total global dynamic range of the display of about 30 stops.

Put in a battery the size of a truck to give 3 hours of viewfinder use plus 2,000 shots minimum, all while running an IS lens.
That would cost a bomb then.:p

Upvote 0
Wow! This is pretty crazy.

More accurately, entirely due to your impatience. You can feel any way you want but there is zero objective evidence that Canon is losing its commitment to the professional and "prosumer" (whatever that is) base. If you want to look at facts, everything about Canon's imaging division strategy and public statements regarding the same shows that they are concentrating on the professional and enthusiast markets.

You can imagine anything, including flying, rainbow colored unicorns. Actually, flying, rainbow colored unicorns are more likely than the scenario you are imagining.

I'm going to ignore the silly use of "tepid" for now and if I have the strength and time, I'll address it in a subsequent post. But, let's unpack the rest of this statement. Canon has released spectacular RF lenses, they have a mature lens line that they have publicly committed to continuing to support and, at the enthusiast and professional level they are releasing new DSLR bodies at roughly the same pace they have historically followed, while also releasing new mirrorless bodies, all of this in a market that is contracting and you somehow define this as a "slowing" release schedule that you take as evidence that they are less committed to the most profitable sector of the photography market.

What exactly does this being a RUMORS site have to do with your comments? Perhaps you are equating rumors with opinions? And, yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you are going to put out silly opinions mixed with paranoid, unfounded fears, you can expect people will respond with great derision.
Thank you for this and I'm also quite disappointed at his comments about India. Some of the best manufacturing at scale happens in India. We have some major companies in the auto sector who manufacture their world market vehicles in India and just recently managed to have a pretty historic if not wholly successful second run (it's just a matter of time, even Sony didn't get it right with their mark i and mark ii bodies for the sake of an analogy) at getting a rover onto the south pole of the moon, the 4th country to do this (info to be updated upon newer data from our lunar orbitter) at a fraction of the cost it would have taken for NASA. It was actually cheaper than the cost of making "Interstellar." He needs to get his facts right before making such derogatory statements. Yes I may classify as another butt hurt individual online in 2019 but as a world citizen and an Indian, it is my duty to educate people whenever they are mistaken. Meant in all good intent.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
To me, the R is more like the 5D3 when it came out. Great general purpose but not a specialized body in one aspect or another. Good for portraits, not great, Decent for birding, not good however. Very good for macro, not quite excellent. Good to great for landscapes (in the right hands) still some shortcomings (AA filter a bit too strong).

This isn't the LOTR with 'One Camera Body to rule them all'.

Folks love to bitch and whine how Canon isn';t making the body specs they want at the pricepoint they are willing to pay...however, if you find one from another manufacturer, please buy it, enjoy it and delete the Canon Rumors website from your bookmarks.

Not sure why, if you don't want a pro mirrorless, you are chastising those of us who do.

Do you really want only threads that are nothing but polite praise of Canon? Really?

It's great to be able to discuss critically. Sometimes I find that my concerns were overblown; sometimes I'm saved making a bad purchase by the lively discussion here.

I'm just believing a bad day led to telling people who don't consistently praise Canon to leave the forum.

Upvote 0
I
That's awesome! I bought the T3i and a couple lenses shortly before I got married, because I wanted a real camera to take on our honeymoon. Ended up keeping that camera for a long time, even though I hated its low-light performance. I just couldn't get a decent picture indoors without having all the lights on or using a flash. Then, in 2018, I started looking for a new body. I really wanted a 5D Mk IV, but I couldn't justify the price. So I was planning to get the 6D Mk II. Then, the R was announced. Waited for some reviews...bought it...and have been in love ever since. Indoor shots are a breeze now. ISO performance is so far beyond the T3i, I don't even know how to compare the two.

Which leads me to a question I have for you. I've wondered if the indoor shooting problem I experienced with my T3i was due to the sensor's general capabilities, or the sensor size (APS-C). Since you have an 80D, have you been able to take better indoor shots with that, over your T2i?
I don't know the lenses you ha d bought but I would say they were a bigger factor in the low light performance of your T3i but there's a ton of stuff for us to learn in lighting anyway. Definitely a full frame sensor has advantages over a crop sensor in low light, but I'd bet good money that fast aperture primes would help you get great shots in low light even on a T3i.
Kudos on graduating to an R though. It's way more capable than a T3i.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Thank you for this and I'm also a bit pissed off at his comments about India. Some of the best manufacturing at scale happens in India. We have some major companies in the auto sector who manufacture their world market vehicles in India and just recently managed to have a pretty historic if not wholly successful second run (it's just a matter of time, even Sony didn't get it right with their mark i and mark ii bodies for the sake of an analogy) at getting a rover onto the south pole of the moon, the 4th country to do this (info to be updated upon newer data from our lunar orbitter) at a fraction of the cost it would have taken for NASA. It was actually cheaper than the cost of making "Interstellar." Get your facts right before making such derogatory statements my friend.

No triggering intended. You took it wrong. I think the rising tech companies in China and India have the desire and purchasing power to buy the EOS division of Canon, and the labor forces to produce consistent quality. I mentioned two likely nations.

My biggest concern with anybody buying Canon's EOS line would be customer service. Even Canon Japan might raise prices for repairs and make wait time longer. Having repairs done through Canon Professional Services is a key reason to remain a loyal Canon customer. If it were ever as hard to get a Canon serviced as other brands, all bets are off.

When companies buy other companies, cost cutting is one of the first steps.

Upvote 0
Lucky most of you still have the time. I'm in my mid 70's and leaving in a few wks for my 5th and last trip to Antarctica because some places are just getting to hard on my old joints and I'm running out of time waiting for Canon to come through. We have multiple trips planned over the next 2 yrs for wildlife photography and I'm getting tired of traveling with increasing numbers of people who where Canon shooters that are now either Canon/Sony or Sony shooters and beginning to kick my 7DMII butt. I was always able to hold my own with the 7DMII/100-400 II against the 500/1DMI or II in good light, but with Sony no, plus the files are a lot cleaner. Yes, the support and ergonomics are terrible as is the UI, but enough people who I know are working around/with that (These are professionals, who support themselves with their photography and they are now using their Canons more as backup because of the durability and support in case the Sony craps out!). I guess that is my best option at this point is to think about adding a Sony to my stable of increasingly expanding camera bag and continue waiting for Canon. After all, it looks like the R that I just bought is no better weather protected than a Sony anyway!
Catherine

Wow!! You're an inspiration! I hope I get to be as active as you when i'm 70.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Not sure why, if you don't want a pro mirrorless, you are chastising those of us who do.

Do you really want only threads that are nothing but polite praise of Canon? Really?

It's great to be able to discuss critically. Sometimes I find that my concerns were overblown; sometimes I'm saved making a bad purchase by the lively discussion here.

I'm just believing a bad day led to telling people who don't consistently praise Canon to leave the forum.
Wow. Seriously missed my point(s).I was just adding my two cents to where I believe the R lies in the Canon universe, how you took it personal is crazy beyond me. Once again, there was no post by you quoted, therefore you are not involved in this. Have a good day Sir.

Upvote 0
What timing! Just this morning ran into one of the top wedding photographers in our state, and she said her D750 "just has too many clicks to get serviced again. I'm holding out for the D6."
I think the hard core pros will hang on to their full body SLRs a bit longer, maybe the new A9II will change that?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

I thought the subject of this thread was "Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?"

Suitable is in the eyes of the user. There have been a few people in this thread who said they have good luck using the R for wildlife. I have no reason to doubt them.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Wow. Seriously missed my point(s).I was just adding my two cents to where I believe the R lies in the Canon universe, how you took it personal is crazy beyond me. Once again, there was no post by you quoted, therefore you are not involved in this. Have a good day Sir.

You were quoting Unfocused's post dissecting my post, so, yes, I am involved. Yes, I have standing.

And, in case you forgot, a thread is an open discussion, not a private conversation. ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0