Canon EOS-1D X Mark III rumoured specifications [CR1]

You mean even the mighty 1D X Mark II struggles with the infamous DPReview "bicycle test"? :oops:
All Canons struggled with these DPR AF tests. Mighty 1D X mark 2 even rated behind D5 based on AF tests even with better sensor and 4k60p. I remembered there was a big discussion when they did this test with 80 with the settings. With all points auto AF, there is a setting to choose starting AF point. Otherwise, it is set to center AF point. It doesn't pick up face and start tracking as DPR was expecting.

Upvote 0
Put me on the wait list. 28mp is a very meaningful improvement. I assume high ISO noise will be at least equal, if not better. IBIS will be handy at times, but my subjects require fast shutter speed, so may not make a big difference to me. I will be interested to see the restrictions on 30fps. Honestly, I would likely take the slower option of 15-20fps with full function if possible.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
NO!
For Sony trolls, 20 fps are much better than 30 fps.
Less can be more (if Sony has less...) :LOL:

You are absolutely right.
When Canon came out with the 5DSR they all said high MP was not needed and that it was overkill.
So yes you are correct and they will make all kinds of excuses.
PS the Canon sensor also has more MP than the recycled Sony a9II sensor (They call this old worn out sensor "Proven") from the old a9. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
You mean even the mighty 1D X Mark II struggles with the infamous DPReview "bicycle test"? :oops:
Yes, mine had problems with objects that were directly flying/running/driving toward me. Moving in another direction or directly away from me was no problem.

The same with my 5DIV that was my exchange for de 1DXII after its damage.

So, until the 1DXIII appears, the 7R MK IV with the 200-600 from another brand is used for directly approaching birds... (by the way: I like the new BIG "AF-ON" button for the 7R IV. A pleasure to use with back-button-AF. I hope Canon will do so too)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
While I would prefer 30-32 mp, 28 is a significant improvement and not a deal breaker for me. I'm skeptical of the 30 fps, unless that is a live-view number. A few extra fps would be welcome. A bit surprised by IBIS. If it is included, that means Canon has satisfied themselves that it is rugged and reliable or they would not put it into a 1 series body.

I will be mostly watching to see what autofocus improvements they have made. In my ideal world, I could use a single point to quickly lock on a player and stay locked on that player regardless of what comes between and regardless of where that player moves in the viewfinder. I don't expect that to happen, but getting closer would be nice.

Sounds like Canon will retain the fixed screen. Okay with me. We will see if they can improve the "silent" shutter and dust magnet sensor.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't know, but I suspect money could be a reason why they wouldn't do that. The last 1Dx series was 3.5x more expensive on launch that the last 7D series at launch, and I really don't think all that cost is in the sensor. I wonder if Canon thought there wasn't enough daylight between the 7D series and the 1D for the price difference...
Two different kinds of buyers. There are people who want nothing but full frame. There are people who want nothing but crop or can only afford crop. The 1D line is far and away above the 7D series. Plenty of daylight between them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
With these specs and if they can significantly improve the focus and ISO, this will be a very competitive camera vs other flagships. This would make me very happy and sign me up for a pre-order! Santa can bring me B H gift cards!!!!
What ridiculous hyperbole.

The 1DX MkII already has better iso performance than the D5 and A9/MkII, the AF is also comparable to both, what flagship is the 1DX MkII currently not competitive with?

How, without breaking the laws of physics, do you expect to “significantly improve” either?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0