Canon EOS-1D X Mark III rumoured specifications [CR1]

Two different kinds of buyers. There are people who want nothing but full frame. There are people who want nothing but crop or can only afford crop. The 1D line is far and away above the 7D series. Plenty of daylight between them.
Agreed that both bodies are very different, made for different buyers, and have plenty of daylight between them right now, but I might not have been clear in what I was saying.

I was referring to a previous comment that suggested that there was no good reason for Canon not to give the 7D III the 1DxIII's specs minus the sensor. Giving the 7D III the 1DxIII specs minus the sensor would indeed eliminate a lot of daylight and wouldn't make sense for camera lines which have such a significant pice differential. That is if Canon were to not discontinue to 7D series as previously reported, obviously.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
While I would prefer 30-32 mp, 28 is a significant improvement and not a deal breaker for me. I'm skeptical of the 30 fps, unless that is a live-view number.

Certainly it's going to be a live view number. But unlike the 1DX2, this time there will be full servo AF in live view! Given that Canon now has the tech to do 30fps × 18Mpix × 12bit RAW burst shooting with full AF, I'm certain they're going to put it in their flagship product as well.

A bit surprised by IBIS. If it is included, that means Canon has satisfied themselves that it is rugged and reliable or they would not put it into a 1 series body.

Indeed. Definitely something you'd want to introduce on a less demanding body first.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
mirrorless
I was thinking the same. Or a hybrid. Nothing says they are required to name it Rx. Wait... RX... the cure for Sony Derangement Syndrom. ;) Anyway, they could still call it 1Dx Mark III because that moniker is so iconic.

• Haha
Upvote 0
The AF is inferior to the A9
Sorry man That’s just misinformation

What ridiculous hyperbole.

The 1DX MkII already has better iso performance than the D5 and A9/MkII, the AF is also comparable to both, what flagship is the 1DX MkII currently not competitive with?

How, without breaking the laws of physics, do you expect to “significantly improve” either?
F

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I was thinking the same. Or a hybrid. Nothing says they are required to name it Rx. Wait... RX... the cure for Sony Derangement Syndrom. ;) Anyway, they could still call it 1Dx Mark III because that moniker is so iconic.

If it had those specs with no blackout and took RF lenses, I would be totally fine with that.

Upvote 0
That was not enough!

Canon did not do their preparation on the EOS 1D X Mark III camera body because it has very little development with tiny new features. Canon spent a lot of their money and produced JUNK mirrorless camera and JUNK RF lenses. They are trouble-prone engineered.

Now, where Canon promised to release EOD 5D R Mark II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 200-600mm, new 50mm f/1.2 with improved features plus other items. We are NOT interested in R camera and RF lenses.

I discovered Canon changed its policy to provide replacement parts for both camera bodies and lenses. So many skilled 3rd party camera repair stations were not able to fix the problem as they cannot receive the replacement parts.

If you have Canon EOS 1DS Mark I, you will be out of luck because they will turn you down because the parts were out of stock and obsoleted.

I have Canon EOS 1D Mark II. It needs new material for the body due to worn out. The condition of this camera is excellent. Canon told me they were no longer parts available and also told me to get a new mirrorless camera. I discovered as they will provide replacement parts up to 3-5 years old. After that, you will be out of luck.

They copied Nikon's new policy on replacement parts as well as Sony too. Because they want to be a monopoly and hurt the 3rd party service vendors included me. I surprise to learn from eBay for used digital cameras to show tremendous increase prices.

We need your voice against Canon and Nikon to stop crazy policies and provide better support for old cameras that need parts.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
That was not enough!

Canon did not do their preparation on the EOS 1D X Mark III camera body because it has very little development with tiny new features. Canon spent a lot of their money and produced JUNK mirrorless camera and JUNK RF lenses. They are trouble-prone engineered.

Now, where Canon promised to release EOD 5D R Mark II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 200-600mm, new 50mm f/1.2 with improved features plus other items. We are NOT interested in R camera and RF lenses.

I discovered Canon changed its policy to provide replacement parts for both camera bodies and lenses. So many skilled 3rd party camera repair stations were not able to fix the problem as they cannot receive the replacement parts.

If you have Canon EOS 1DS Mark I, you will be out of luck because they will turn you down because the parts were out of stock and obsoleted.

I have Canon EOS 1D Mark II. It needs new material for the body due to worn out. The condition of this camera is excellent. Canon told me they were no longer parts available and also told me to get a new mirrorless camera. I discovered as they will provide replacement parts up to 3-5 years old. After that, you will be out of luck.

They copied Nikon's new policy on replacement parts as well as Sony too. Because they want to be a monopoly and hurt the 3rd party service vendors included me. I surprise to learn from eBay for used digital cameras to show tremendous increase prices.

We need your voice against Canon and Nikon to stop crazy policies and provide better support for old cameras that need parts.
Junk RF lenses. CanonFanBoy, you want to take this one?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Re read what I said, I said they have comparable AF, and they do. The iso performance is comparable between the two as well, the lines of DR to iso cross several times and are never a significant distance apart, even the A9 II has the same sensor so will have very comparable DR performance.

The AF is inferior to the A9
Sorry man That’s just misinformation

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That was not enough!

Says the guy who's never tried the R or RF lenses. Sony.

Attachments

• Terra Angel 2 web.jpg
    Terra Angel 2 web.jpg
    827.4 KB · Views: 390
  • _E5A1950 web.jpg
    _E5A1950 web.jpg
    973.8 KB · Views: 380
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Says the guy who's never tried the R or RF lenses. Sony.
I think his eire was directed more at the fact that they are focus by wire, which has been criticized in the past for potential reliability issues but more importantly if you do have an issue the lens becomes a paperweight as manual focus isn't possible due to the manual focus ring not being connected to the AF elements, rather the ring controls the AF motor.

I have tried the R and didn't get on with it.

Whatever the points were, there is no sense in replaying King Canute and pretending this is just going to keep going the way sales and profits dictate. DSLR's are mature products in a mature market, convincing people they need a 'new' system to take the same pictures is easier than convincing them they need a new version of what they have to do the same.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Canon told me they were no longer parts available and also told me to get a new mirrorless camera. I discovered as they will provide replacement parts up to 3-5 years old. After that, you will be out of luck.
Canon changed a broken mainboard on my 10 years old 5D2 in August, so I could take it on my Kruger trip. What did I do wrong?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
What ridiculous hyperbole.

The 1DX MkII already has better iso performance than the D5 and A9/MkII, the AF is also comparable to both, what flagship is the 1DX MkII currently not competitive with?

How, without breaking the laws of physics, do you expect to “significantly improve” either?
I agree the 1DxII has very good ISO and AF performance; I have been using one almost daily since it was introduced. However, I disagree a bit on the AF of the 1DxII being directly comparable to the Sony a9's. I have now been shooting the 1DxII and Sony a9 side by side for months on birds in flight and other wildlife subjects. For me the Sony a9 AF bests the 1DxII, especially on small birds and anything flying quickly towards the camera. I used to think the Canon 1DxII had the best AF period; until I started shooting the a9 along side it. The a9's ISO performance at 24MP also is not bad. My base ISO is 800 and the IQ is pretty comparable between the cameras at that level and you get an extra 4MP.

They are both very good cameras and I enjoy shooting them both. For the first time since the 1DIII came out I will not be upgrading to Canon's new flagship. Instead, I will be waiting to see what Canon brings out in a Pro, high fps mirrorless body. I believe it will be great when it arrives.

Attached image is a ruddy turnstone landing directly at the camera, almost full frame,Ruddy turnstone flight banking 1600cr.jpg taken with Sony a9 with 200-600mm at 600mm. A shot that is much harder to get with the 1DxII then with the a9. At least for me.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0