Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

Jan 29, 2011
Scott, do you see yourself upgrading? What would be things you'd like improved? Other than my typical focal length limited situations and wanting more MPs I've been pretty happy.

Jack
Hi Jack not too sure yet, for me it depends entirely on the resolution. If it is in the 24mp range then I won’t be in any kind of a rush, if it is 28 or higher then yes I’d get one sooner.

I am very interested in the built in WiFi and wonder why it needs a WFT as well! And I could have used Bluetooth yesterday on a shoot. Personally for the stuff I do I am not finding the AF or anything else lets me down, I would like a way to run the camera silently even if that is just electronic shutter in live view as the 1’s have never been silent even in Live View.

interesting that they moved the remote release back to its traditional spot, which I think is a shame as working with an L plate the MkII’s position is nicer.

personally I’m not happy they moved to yet another card type but very pleased they are both the same type. Although it is nice they kept the same battery and I already have a mains adapter to power the camera for long sessions inside.

I can see me moving from 2 x 1DX MkII’s to a single 1DX MkIII and a high resolution R and get a lot more functionality and capabilities.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
On army they teach you break your rifle on dark. Just train use buttons when eyes closed and you dont need lighted buttons :)
When the camera is in your hand that is an easy way to work. Illuminated buttons are incredibly helpful at night/in the dark when the camera is set up on a tripod where you don’t have the muscle memory and you don’t want to mess with your night vision for framing by putting on a light. Once you have used illuminated buttons you wonder why they aren’t standard!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hi Jack not too sure yet, for me it depends entirely on the resolution. If it is in the 24mp range then I won’t be in any kind of a rush, if it is 28 or higher then yes I’d get one sooner.

I am very interested in the built in WiFi and wonder why it needs a WFT as well![..]

The builtin wifi seems to be 2.4GHz (b/g/n) only while the WFT supports 5GHz (ac, b/g/n) and at least one video said "WFT for more range", so I guess it has a beefier radio and antenna than the builtin.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

I am very interested in the built in WiFi and wonder why it needs a WFT as well! And I could have used Bluetooth yesterday on a shoot. Personally for the stuff I do I am not finding the AF or anything else lets me down, I would like a way to run the camera silently even if that is just electronic shutter in live view as the 1’s have never been silent even in Live View.

interesting that they moved the remote release back to its traditional spot, which I think is a shame as working with an L plate the MkII’s position is nicer.

personally I’m not happy they moved to yet another card type but very pleased they are both the same type. Although it is nice they kept the same battery and I already have a mains adapter to power the camera for long sessions inside.

I can see me moving from 2 x 1DX MkII’s to a single 1DX MkIII and a high resolution R and get a lot more functionality and capabilities.

Scott, your comments are precisely what has gone around in my head. You may recall I bought the R for the Costa Rica trip but it was always just to try and then my daughter would take it. We were both shooting and my setup was too heavy for her so I scarcely got a handful of shots with the R. I sit with a useless R ND filter adapter at the moment. I helped her use the R on a tripod shooting a water fall with my 11-24 and I was thoroughly pleased with that functionality.

However, I'm getting older and I don't earn money with photography and it seems so senseless to spend such big bucks in this way when there are other worthy demands on limited finances. I know some young readers think folks like me have the finances but that's not always true. I forego many other purchases to afford camera gear. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Gah, i’m in a dilemma here, I have an R and just picked up the RF 24-70 and they announce my dream camera! Should I sell/return my 24-70mm get the ef version? Lately been questioning the materials thay these lenses are made out of they’re not as smooth plastic as the ef versions more matte plastic? I would love get the 1dx iii but dont need all the fps. I just wish this was a R mount camera!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Gah, i’m in a dilemma here, I have an R and just picked up the RF 24-70 and they announce my dream camera! Should I sell/return my 24-70mm get the ef version? Lately been questioning the materials thay these lenses are made out of they’re not as smooth plastic as the ef versions more matte plastic? I would love get the 1dx iii but dont need all the fps. I just wish this was a R mount camera!

If you gravitate to shooting wildlife, you'll soon come to appreciate the FPS. Do remember this is a big, heavy, noisy beast. :) And it tends to garner (unwanted) attention.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
If you gravitate to shooting wildlife, you'll soon come to appreciate the FPS. Do remember this is a big, heavy, noisy beast. :) And it tends to garner (unwanted) attention.

Jack
With a fast readout on the sensor and advanced DPAF, it will gain a usable silent mode, although the fixed screen will make it awkward to use.

Upvote 0
Before getting too excited, they left out some very important information and hyped some that few use. Live view on a 1D, really?? Rarely used it on my 80D but suddenly it will be a go to function when you want speed or focus points. Not seeing it happen in the real world.
Unless there is an optional evf add-on !

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Truly silent?? Right now, silent is not silent. That would be acceptable. Oh, oh I'm starting to feel GAS.

Jack
I see no reason why it wouldn't have it when it records raw video as well, keeping the dynamic range (as I said, the true 1DC successor)

Taken from the announcement: "What is interesting is In Live View shooting, you can shoot with both mechanical shutter and electronic shutter. "

The M6 Mark II also has the 30fps silent RAW burst in crop mode, and the sensor, card and processor are both much slower and a with higher megapixel count. EOS R also has a more or less usable silent mode, and that is with a much older , higher MP sensor.
To be honest, even the 1DX II was probably fully capable of it, just like with the C-Log.
Since it has almost the same exact body, and with that, many of the exact same drawbacks as its predecessor, they simply need to unlock these technology-related features to make sure it sells during the next 4 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Since I taken loads of crap on this forum for having the gall to suggest that Canon's autofocus system had room for improvement, I'm taking great delight in seeing that the one thing Canon emphasized above all else in this announcement was improvement to its autofocus system.
You get a lot of crap due to all your logic and intelligent thought, no room for that nonsense here.

Upvote 0
The builtin wifi seems to be 2.4GHz (b/g/n) only while the WFT supports 5GHz (ac, b/g/n) and at least one video said "WFT for more range", so I guess it has a beefier radio and antenna than the builtin.
I'm pretty sure it was for distance - the B&H announcement suggested that here.

I could have sworn it said the WFT would give wifi transfer ranges up to a football field's length away (though I'm really struggling to remember where I saw that so I may be crazy).

Beefier antenna indeed!

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Truly silent?? Right now, silent is not silent. That would be acceptable. Oh, oh I'm starting to feel GAS.

Jack

If you care about a usable silent mode, I really wouldn't buy the Mark III until someone tests the speed of the sensor readout. Every modern digital camera except the X-T3 and the A9 have readouts too slow for all but the stillest subjects.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
If you care about a usable silent mode, I really wouldn't buy the Mark III until someone tests the speed of the sensor readout. Every modern digital camera except the X-T3 and the A9 have readouts too slow for all but the stillest subjects.
It will be a lot faster than the R, which in itself is usable in burst mode, of course not all shots will be artifact-free, but it can be utilised, it might be close to the X-T3.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
It's not really that bad for other than the stillest subjects, slowly walking people are often not a problem for example. Do you have a source for X-T3 readout speed, I was looking for it a while back but couldn't really find anything other than "X-T2 is x% faster than X-T1" and "X-T3 is x% faster than X-T2". A good amount of mft cameras have readout speed of 1/60s and IIRC X-T3 was slower than those.

Side note: those mfts and A9 all shoot 12bit files with that highest speed.

Upvote 0