Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
It's not really that bad for other than the stillest subjects, slowly walking people are often not a problem for example. Do you have a source for X-T3 readout speed, I was looking for it a while back but couldn't really find anything other than "X-T2 is x% faster than X-T1" and "X-T3 is x% faster than X-T2". A good amount of mft cameras have readout speed of 1/60s and IIRC X-T3 was slower than those.

Side note: those mfts and A9 all shoot 12bit files with that highest speed.

I could find it at one point, but I'm coming up short today. I won't make up a number, but I do know that I saw no rolling shutter artifacts when I was shooting motion with an X-T3 in-store, but I did see them when I was shooting with an EOS R (shooting both with electronic shutter, of course).

YMMV.

Upvote 0
That was a nuclear bomb for sony fan boys... check out the arguments guys... that is slaughtering!! That time no matter what would be coming soon... they gave all the innovation they had with many issues ofc like overheating for example on their bodies and now they ran out! You can't beat a company which is in so many years from the top ones in a matter of last 4-5 years. Common sense the result... and its just the beginning!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
From Canon Website: "The EOS-1D X Mark III features a brand-new AF sensor with 28 times more resolution than its predecessor" Can someone please educate me on what resolution has to to with better focus. What am I missing, please?

I think I understand. It is not pixel resolution but AF sensor resolution. Right?

Upvote 0
From Canon Website: "The EOS-1D X Mark III features a brand-new AF sensor with 28 times more resolution than its predecessor" Can someone please educate me on what resolution has to to with better focus. What am I missing, please?

AF sensor that's used for auto focusing when the mirror is down, not the actual sensor.

Upvote 0
As an owner of a 1DX Mark I and Mark II I think we need to know a little more.

1) Glad that it takes the same batteries, but as I have quite a few I would like to know what impact using Mark I and Mark II batteries in the camera will have and whether the new charger will handle all three versions the same way? The batteries are amazing and if they have improved them further, then wow.

2) Love the illuminated buttons. This will be very useful in some circumstances, and I hope that it can be turned off, and the brightness dimmed etc. too.

3) Lots of fancy words about the AF flying about. It's not going to be worse than previous versions, so will be great to learn more about this.

4) They say it has WiFi and Bluetooth but there are pictures of it with the WiFi adapter, so am looking forward to learning exactly what this means. Would be truly fantastic if I can send RAW pictures directly to the cloud and / or my phone without too much battery drain.

5) New cards. Ouch, if you shoot video - especially 4K - you are going to spend quite a bit of money to get cards big enough to fit your work. Add in a second or third for redundancy and that's a fair bit of change. I liked the dual system on the 1DX Mark II as it meant I could still use my old CF cards when the primary card was full without spending more money. Plus, there's no way of knowing whether these CF Express cards will be in the 1DX Mark IV. Personally I would have liked to have a CF card slot as well as a CF Express slot.

6) The body has hardly changed at all so that's good.

7) FPS - I have never locked my mirror in place to take advantage of the Mark I or Mark II's fastest FPS when using viewfinder. Will be good to learn more about the FPS and the viewfinder too.

I can't help but wonder why Canon has made this development announcement? From memory, don't they normally just release ?

Upvote 0
It's a matter of both shutter speed and image processing performance. The Olympus E-M1 Mark II can do 10fps CAF, 15fps SAF, with the mechanical shutter, 18fps CAF, 60fps SAF with electronic shutter. The mirror + shutter is the physical limit, and while that's slowly increased, they're probably close to the limits for these by now. Canon's unlikely to skimp on image processing power in a flagship camera, of course. And their PDAF sensors are getting huge these days, to allow for some of the mirrorless-camera image processing tricks. `

of course, the 4/3 is a much smaller format, so the mass of the shutter is much less, and it has to travel a shorter distance. Considering that, makes these new Canon specs look even more impressive.

Upvote 0
That was a nuclear bomb for sony fan boys... check out the arguments guys... that is slaughtering!! That time no matter what would be coming soon... they gave all the innovation they had with many issues ofc like overheating for example on their bodies and now they ran out! You can't beat a company which is in so many years from the top ones in a matter of last 4-5 years. Common sense the result... and its just the beginning!

It can't be a bomb because the camera hasn't been released yet and we don't know all the specs. Also A9II's usage isn't fully overlapping with 1DXIII, the former is mirrorless, the later is mirrorful. Slightly different target customers.

Also most of the people here and most of the people on Sony rumors will never buy or use neither 1DXIII nor A9II. I'll probably never buy one as they're not landscape cameras. So it's fun to watch Canon fanboys vs Sony fanboys battle but not practical at all.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon clearly waited to develop the hardware to handle the stress of the software. They have a reputation of function and reliability that must be upheld.

The sensor tech of this camera will surely form the basis of an EOS R, Canon did not develop that superlative glass for the EOS R. We are on the eve of an exciting and expensive time.

This is the company that gave us the AE-1 Program!

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

I explained what I understood that to mean here:

The focusing itself should still rely on phase detection, but finding out where faces and eyes are in the frame and where a subject has moved relative to the previous frame should be far easier with such a separate image sensor. Of course it will also require a lot of processing power to handle that.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I explained what I understood that to mean here:

The focusing itself should still rely on phase detection, but finding out where faces and eyes are in the frame and where a subject has moved relative to the previous frame should be far easier with such a separate image sensor. Of course it will also require a lot of processing power to handle that.
Would be interesting if they could they could use that high resolution AF sensor to AF like a mirrorless camera for accuracy but keeping the best of DSLR AF as well. Perhaps even have the imaging sensor doing some AF too when the mirror is up? I don't know much about how AF systems work, so I don't know what's possible and what's not, but it sounds like it would be good ...! :)

Upvote 0
I wonder if the inclusion of HEIF means that we are going to see a 10 bit HEVC "MJPEG style" proprietary codec for video. I think those codecs are typically hard-coded into the processor. 10 bit HEIF/HEVC would allow a better version of C Log and have more DR than MJPEG but it may have all of the same issues that make MJPEG a pain to work with. I don't know too much about the new format. I guess it will replace 8 bit JPG's for stills as well.

Personally, I don't see myself going back to DSLR's for video. No EVF and a fixed rear display are just too much of a hassle. I guess that could be overcome with an external recorder but so far that's something Canon has resisted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would be interesting if they could they could use that high resolution AF sensor to AF like a mirrorless camera for accuracy but keeping the best of DSLR AF as well. Perhaps even have the imaging sensor doing some AF too when the mirror is up? I don't know much about how AF systems work, so I don't know what's possible and what's not, but it sounds like it would be good ...! :)

Congratulations, you've just invented DPAF!

Upvote 0

I could certainly be wrong but my suspicion is that they're using a much higher resolution metering sensor in order to get mirrorless-like subject recognition and tracking through the OVF.

Upvote 0