More information on the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

Dec 31, 2018
To be REVOLUTIONARY instead of just 'our best version yet because we improved a few things' it would need to offer 6k video.
Everyone mastering in 4K wants to be able to crop in. Shooting video in 4k is the past, not the future.
If it got 20mpix or smaller sensor it cant do 6k video . no need even discuss about this matter :p
So if they tell video resolution they also tell sensor size ,what they still want keep secret obviously.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
I'm hopeful, but somewhat skeptical of an AF trackpad, given how bad the M-fn bar on the EOS R is... Would love to see something better than a joystick. I like using the touch-screen on my R to move the AF point, but hate how easy it is to accidentally move it with my nose (or, how you can't even use it if you have your screen flipped in).
Sorry, but I could not resist responding. Maybe you need to learn ho to move the AF with your nose? I've never seen a "nose operated camera" as a feature, but who knows, that jaut may be the new way of "interactivity" of the future photography. Or you just need to flip the screen when you use the view finder for taking pictures.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
The camera sounds fantastic and I bet the 4K will be around 450mbps and not the 100mbps or so that Sony files are, so grading should be fantastic.

I'll get one a year or so after it comes out, when I can get it a lot cheaper.

There's life in the old mirror yet! :)
The price of the 1Dx didn't change since the day it came avaliable, the only time the price is reduced is when the next model is in the horizon. I am not sure you will waif 4 years.

And I also prefere to SEE the image I am picturing than let an electronic device SHOW me what it see.

Upvote 0
To be REVOLUTIONARY instead of just 'our best version yet because we improved a few things' it would need to offer 6k video.
Everyone mastering in 4K wants to be able to crop in. Shooting video in 4k is the past, not the future.
As physiscist I always like to have the best data with fine graininess ... but most old movies are around 2 ... 2.5 k resolution except those 70mm movies like e.g. 2001 A Space Odyssey. 4k or 6k wouldn't make the movies much more attractive because we see great acting, have well designed sound just without fancy surround effects, great use of light, perspectives, composition.
I understand that some need 4k as target format but better to have very good 4k output (pixel size/noise) and the skills to master good input material than using less good 6k material and fumbling in post. If you have a good story just 800x480 would be fine e.g. for the news. And if you do "cinema" you should have the time to adjust your setup for good performance.
And if someone really needs 6k input a cinema camera with the right lenses and recording equipment should be the most efficient way to get the best "raw" material.

In stills photography it is a totally different story: Here "6k" is transforming to 24 MPixels (2:3 aspect ratio) and IMO a minimum standard for APS-C or larger formats. Why? You cannot pan around during recording to show much detail, you have to capture the detail in ONE photo and we as viewers pan in the image. So I am lusting for 80...100MPix for stills to have ultra high resolution material and a 20...25 MPix 4-sensor-pixel-per-image-pixel-high-quality-output.

Just my opinion ...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The price of the 1Dx didn't change since the day it came avaliable, the only time the price is reduced is when the next model is in the horizon. I am not sure you will waif 4 years.

Or maybe less, say until Christmas time, briefly, and then another 11 months or so before heading back down and staying lower? (And then there are refurbs and gray markets, for those so inclined.)

1572424235602.png

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The EOS R touch bar isn't bad .. just that some photographer's lack the knack to implement it. I've seen scores of posts and videos where people have put it to good use. And it can also be ignored.
At first I couldn't find a use for it, but then Viggo told me how I could use it to turn the level on and off, and also the histogram. Love it.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2018
Agreed, 6k and all those numbers are buzzwords, and they sound great, but when you actually try to edit these files or ask what is the final audience most people will shoot in 1080 if not 4k. I like 4k because you can do scale down 3840x2160 to 16:9 2400 x 1350 for youtube then export for ig 1080 x 1350 - but I think 6k would be excess for the average target audience. 6k and all that jazz is more so for individuals who are shooting in the industry or indies but in that case they opt for cinema cameras anyways.
Most people don't buy a 1Dx. If you were talking about a 5D or EOS-M camera, I would agree. But this is the top-of-the-line camera and it's going to be used in big productions. So 6K wouldn't be really ridiculous to have on this camera, if the sensor has enough pixels. We don't know yet.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
How would battery life improve significantly if 1) it takes the same batteries as the 1DXii, and 2) the camera is so fundamentally similar to the 1DXii?

The 90D is ”fundamentally similar” to the 80D and shares the battery, yet it has something like 50% improved battery life. Canon’s new generation of electronics seem to be very energy efficient.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Sorry guys, but if 4K is hard to edit on your computers it's only because you work on the compressed files.
Your workflow is just not adapted.
I can edit 4K files on resolve on a 600€ computer. 4 cores, 8gb of ram, but big external SSD plugged to it.
I have a main workstation that stores the raw files and creates proxy files to work with.

So yep, I'd like to have 6K at least.
8K would be great !
Shooting 4K and displaying it on a 4K 55" TV... I can see all the image problems.
I use a ZCAM E2. With a Canon body it would be 10x worse.
Canon's 1080p is not even good.

Of course 6K Alexa will be better than any future 8K consummer device.
I agree that for the normal consummer it make no sense and none know how to work with those files.
But we're talking about 2k$+ products.
But we have 4K 8bits on Sony/Samsung cameras for years.
Even iPhones shoot 4K.
Why the hell can't we get at least 6K by now?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

And I also prefere to SEE the image I am picturing than let an electronic device SHOW me what it see.
Thats not true. I paid $4,750 each for my two 1DX MkII's less than a year after they were released, I got the free CFast cards and readers too, I also got a 3 year extended third party warranty as well as the 'real' Canon 12 month warranty, the price was the same if you bought one or more so no discount for getting two. Back then the B&H price was $5,995.

• Wow
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Most people don't buy a 1Dx. If you were talking about a 5D or EOS-M camera, I would agree. But this is the top-of-the-line camera and it's going to be used in big productions. So 6K wouldn't be really ridiculous to have on this camera, if the sensor has enough pixels. We don't know yet.
The 1Dx camera is a top-of-the line camera, but I don't know how often it will be used in big video productions, or how many big video productions will be shot in 6K. High end video cameras might be preferable to a 1DX for that work.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Thats not true. I paid $4,750 each for my two 1DX MkII's less than a year after they were released, I got the free CFast cards and readers too, I also got a 3 year extended third party warranty as well as the 'real' Canon 12 month warranty, the price was the same if you bought one or more so no discount for getting two. Back then the B&H price was $5,995.
I believe he was referring to the MAP price set by Canon. Of course it’s possible to negotiate a better price from an individual retailer beginning on Day One, But that is solely the decision of your retailer. In your case, you got a good deal on the bodies, but by your own admission the price you paid was not reflective of the typical price at the time.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Found this article about Heif with update from Canon themselves. Good to see Canon adopting new standards which moving forward will trickle down the product stack.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I believe he was referring to the MAP price set by Canon. Of course it’s possible to negotiate a better price from an individual retailer beginning on Day One, But that is solely the decision of your retailer. In your case, you got a good deal on the bodies, but by your own admission the price you paid was not reflective of the typical price at the time.
I don't believe he was referring to the MAP, which we all know Canon took a much closer interest in a few years ago. I believe the context of masterpix's comment was telling Bennymiata he would have to wait four years to get a good deal on a MkIII, I pointed out that probably isn't the case.

Upvote 0