More information on the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

Improved battery life is a thing if you use a WTF transmitter. I find myself turning wifi on and off a lot when the battery starts to run down. Built in wifi for a hotspot in your pocket is also good - those sticky out transmitters catch on straps and hit things in a bag or, worse, come off and get lost in the gutter.

I imagine a lot of the technologies such as eye-AF and better sensor tech are transferable between DSLR & mirrorless so why not just import the improvements between the two formats and offer a better 1 series DSLR if they can? The mk2 is already a brilliant camera. Even if not a strong enough proposition to motivate you to upgrade, it'd make the idea of a 1 series stronger to new buyers replacing or buying anew and Canon have most of the 1DX tooling in place anyway.

There are some weird omissions on the 1DX2 which I hope they address:
Touch screen operation a la 5D4 - make it switchable in the menu.
Offer the same cropping options of 5D4 (more flexible ratios available) and offer greater placement and sizing fidelity.
In-camera image rotation in 0.1 degree increments - use the scroll wheel to impliment, would be very usable.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
(y) Improved battery life is a thing if you use a WTF transmitter. I find myself turning wifi on and off a lot when the battery starts to run down. Built in wifi for a hotspot in your pocket is also good - those sticky out transmitters catch on straps and hit things in a bag or, worse, come off and get lost in the gutter.

I imagine a lot of the technologies such as eye-AF and better sensor tech are transferable between DSLR & mirrorless so why not just import the improvements between the two formats and offer a better 1 series DSLR if they can? The mk2 is already a brilliant camera. Even if not a strong enough proposition to motivate you to upgrade, it'd make the idea of a 1 series stronger to new buyers replacing or buying anew and Canon have most of the 1DX tooling in place anyway.

There are some weird omissions on the 1DX2 which I hope they address:
(y)Touch screen operation a la 5D4 - make it switchable in the menu.
(y)Offer the same cropping options of 5D4 (more flexible ratios available) and offer greater placement and sizing fidelity.
(y)In-camera image rotation in 0.1 degree increments - use the scroll wheel to impliment, would be very usable.
Plus intervalometer, pretty please ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
yesterday i shooted tits 1-3meter distance with RP and i think they flinched.
Or they just noticed that scary pipe is now pointing them ,who knows :p
I think good photographers shoot first more far with camera so birds get use

I shoot small birds in my backyard and large birds at a local wildlife refuge. They are both really jumpy when I point my lens at them. Many flee before I ever fire the shutter. The ones that stay don’t seem to mind the shutter noise.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I think the animals are more afraid of a big human figure walking towards them with the scary pipe.

But that's the thing - you can often walk right by a woodpigeon and it'll ignore you, but if you openly point a camera at it from further away, it'll skedaddle! Other species vary of course. Not stopping suddenly was something I learned early on. Field skills are at least as important as good kit!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I have mixed feelings on the shutter noise. When shooting sports I totally don't care--and yes it is by far my loudest body. Silent mode makes it quieter than non-silent mode, but it is still way too loud to be silent. The main time I notice it is when shooting theater or dance in a quiet scene. Then I really wish it was quieter, but often prefer the max FPS rather and avoidance of a bright rear screen in a dark theater. In dance, I have to have the high FPS, so I really don't have a choice.

All this to say, I would like it quieter, but if it comes at the expense of FPS, which it seems to by nature, then I will just live with the loud button.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I don't think shutter noise is the disaster some make it to be. However I have read comments by even very experienced photographers who have been using DSLRs for decades saying that the non-noise of mirrorless does open opportunities. It is not about moving from a useless piece of kit to a great one, but from bits of kit that lie on a spectrum.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I think the animals are more afraid of a big human figure walking towards them with the scary pipe.
Personally, and my friend concurs, a sitting human is much more acceptable to many birds than standing. It's also more acceptable to a lazy photographer. ;)

Jack

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I will go a step further: I have never ever scared an animal with a flash either. True story!
Well Sanj I don't question your experience but I have shots of calm birds that then appear in the frame with their wings suddenly up and it's happened enough times that it's not a coincidental movement. IOW, at least some small birds have very fast reaction times and do react to the flash - although giving it more thought, I now recall having issues where the pre-flash seemed to be an issue.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012
One senses the silent shutter is more of an issue for wedding, photojournalist and some event photogs. Certainly as an amateur sports and wildlife photographer it has never really worried me, although in close proximity to wild animals I have exercised caution as indicated earlier. Sometimes elephants in particular become very fractious around vehicles and any sound, whether it be from a loud shutter or somebody making noise, is not desirable. But standing up in the vehicle, even without sound, is definitely another level of risk altogether.

Upvote 0
I can think of one situation where shutter noise could cause an issue. I’ve been shooting a lot of sunrise over the ocean shots. It’s surprising how many people walk the beach at dawn. I can imagine a situation where a woman walks past me, I take a photo of the sunrise and she thinks I took a picture of her and starts a confrontation. It hasn’t happened yet but it could.

I can tell that women are wary when they see me with a camera and I don’t take any photos of them when they’re close. I do take some when people are far enough away that they give a sense of scale to the scene but they’re small enough in the frame that they aren’t recognizable.

I’d be a terrible street photographer.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I can think of one situation where shutter noise could cause an issue. I’ve been shooting a lot of sunrise over the ocean shots. It’s surprising how many people walk the beach at dawn. I can imagine a situation where a woman walks past me, I take a photo of the sunrise and she thinks I took a picture of her and starts a confrontation. It hasn’t happened yet but it could.

I can tell that women are wary when they see me with a camera and I don’t take any photos of them when they’re close. I do take some when people are far enough away that they give a sense of scale to the scene but they’re small enough in the frame that they aren’t recognizable.

I’d be a terrible street photographer.
Which begs the question why are folks concerned with privacy by photographers yet cell phone use with connectivity to the web and it's hellhole of nefarious offerings is not even blinked at? The pervs and abusers of images have a free ride with cell phones these days. Bassakwards.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
The deer who visit my yard and the yard next door in the late afternoon tolerate my presence on the deck pretty well until I point a camera at them. Then they slip into the edge of the woods.

They don't understand that in English, "shooting" has more than one definition.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0