EOS R, Canon BG-E22 Battery Grip review?

Mar 25, 2011
I just received mine tonight. I found one for $250 which seemed like a good deal, I was looking for some way to get a better grip on the camera without letting my thumb keep sliding onto the lcd and causing the AF point to be in the upper right corner. I had not really read about it, so I was surprised to get a PD-E1 USB charger with it. I had just bought a generic USB C charger which works fine charging the camera, so now I have a OEM one. I do not need 2 batteries, but I popped a 2nd spare into the grip and am charging them to make sure it charges properly. Its charging the first battery now, then I expect it to charge the 2nd.

The grip feels fine and sturdy, but I need to put some mileage on it to see how I like it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I just received mine tonight. I found one for $250 which seemed like a good deal, I was looking for some way to get a better grip on the camera without letting my thumb keep sliding onto the lcd and causing the AF point to be in the upper right corner. I had not really read about it, so I was surprised to get a PD-E1 USB charger with it. I had just bought a generic USB C charger which works fine charging the camera, so now I have a OEM one. I do not need 2 batteries, but I popped a 2nd spare into the grip and am charging them to make sure it charges properly. Its charging the first battery now, then I expect it to charge the 2nd.

The grip feels fine and sturdy, but I need to put some mileage on it to see how I like it.

Did you keep it? Do you like it? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Did you keep it? Do you like it? Thanks!
It stays on my camera all the time. As far as my hopes for keeping my finger off the corner of the LCD screen, that did not work. The camera gets or at least feels much larger and more stable in my large hands, and it adds a lot of weight which helps stabilize large lenses. Since I also received the PD-E1 USB charger, and a favorable price, I kept it. However, the camera is no longer very easy to take with me as a casual camera for trips. I may get a RP for that if I ever decide to sell my 5D
MK IV.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
It stays on my camera all the time. As far as my hopes for keeping my finger off the corner of the LCD screen, that did not work. The camera gets or at least feels much larger and more stable in my large hands, and it adds a lot of weight which helps stabilize large lenses. Since I also received the PD-E1 USB charger, and a favorable price, I kept it. However, the camera is no longer very easy to take with me as a casual camera for trips. I may get a RP for that if I ever decide to sell my 5D
MK IV.

Thanks, Mt. Spokane. I do wonder about how easily, with my smaller hands, it would be to reach the screen for AF control.

I'm interested because I've found that using the R with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, my portrait-orientation shots are more prone to shake. This doesn't seem to happen so much with the 5D IV. I understand that landscape orientation is inherently more stable because the right hand steadies the body, but the shake seems to come up more now with the R.

I think you are right in suggesting this is due to the way the lens is balanced by the weight of the body. I hope this is something Canon is getting enough feedback about to address in a future body.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Thanks, Mt. Spokane. I do wonder about how easily, with my smaller hands, it would be to reach the screen for AF control.

I'm interested because I've found that using the R with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, my portrait-orientation shots are more prone to shake. This doesn't seem to happen so much with the 5D IV. I understand that landscape orientation is inherently more stable because the right hand steadies the body, but the shake seems to come up more now with the R.

I think you are right in suggesting this is due to the way the lens is balanced by the weight of the body. I hope this is something Canon is getting enough feedback about to address in a future body.

For portrait orientation, its better beyond comparison, of course. It feels like a mini 1D series tith the grip and two batteries. The grip fits tightly as well. The last time I bought a Canon grip was for my 5D MK I, and it had a lot of flex to it. Thats pretty much gone with this one, I have not put a large lens on it with a tripod, but I assume that it will still sag downward a bit. My 1D's did not sag noticeably. Of course, the tripod and head can cause the sag, but mine are heavy duty enough to even work with a supertele.

Upvote 0
For portrait orientation, its better beyond comparison, of course. It feels like a mini 1D series tith the grip and two batteries. The grip fits tightly as well. The last time I bought a Canon grip was for my 5D MK I, and it had a lot of flex to it. Thats pretty much gone with this one, I have not put a large lens on it with a tripod, but I assume that it will still sag downward a bit. My 1D's did not sag noticeably. Of course, the tripod and head can cause the sag, but mine are heavy duty enough to even work with a supertele.
I’ve been waiting to buy this grip for a while, 3 kids in volleyball which results in a lot of time in portrait orientation. Trouble is, $600 in Canada and $250 in USA. I don’t understand the price difference, it makes no sense. I don’t like buying things without having my hands on it first, but the local Henry’s doesn’t stock it. In fact, Henry’s only has 2 in stock in their entire Canadian inventory. May just have to bite the bullet and order from B&H.

Upvote 0