An EF & RF mount hybrid mirrorless camera in the works [CR2]

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Not perceived, but a reality for us. An OVF at this time is essential. It's our preference for quality and allows for hand-holding of our f/2.8 300's and 400 primes at games where we are following very fast-moving athletes and switching from athlete to athlete. Not possible with an LCD or EVF. The 600's 800's and 200-400's Can't do it as stuck to a gimbal or mon/tri-pod the ability to follow the action is hampered. The EVF does not at "this time" offer the same response at the OVF. Perhaps in the future technology will make it so. I do like that the EVF is more reflective of exposure for those who are not as skilled as our senior people but anyone who can't function on manual would not be a "primary" photographer for our firm. Right now in skilled hands the OVF is still the most effective modality for high-speed professional sports with NFL, NBA, NHL and Extreme sports offering particular challenges. Some extreme sports are more difficult than perceived based on outdoor venues, bright sun and sea/ocean venues. Not seen a EVF up to it yet and I'm open minded. I think this will be a good 2 years away well after the Tokyo Games. It would be nice if by 2024 EVF's are perfected so the Olympic Games set a standard after 8K monitors make it into more homes and consumers can enjoy the types of resolutions we'll be shooting at. Perhaps people in their homes will finally see what we see when we shoot and edit! Best to you.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Not perceived, but a reality for us. An OVF at this time is essential. It's our preference for quality and allows for hand-holding of our f/2.8 300's and 400 primes at games where we are following very fast-moving athletes and switching from athlete to athlete. Not possible with an LCD or EVF. The 600's 800's and 200-400's Can't do it as stuck to a gimbal or mon/tri-pod the ability to follow the action is hampered.
How about those guys with $250,000 lenses near you? Isn't it possible for them?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
How about those guys with $250,000 lenses near you? Isn't it possible for them?
Great question.

I'd like to see someone running on the sidelines with that lens, camera and pedestal that weighs more than Aaron Gibson. I want to hire that guy!

Now add the 8 guys in the truck or broadcast center and the BO&E engineer, producer and production assistants.

One day they might miniaturize the technology but for now that 250K lens and camera are stuck to that pedestal.

Amazing what one talented photographer can do handholding a 1DXMKII with a 2.8 400MM II.

Now increase the IQ and bring the MP's up to 30 and you've got people that can move and move fast with the ability to keep open at 400mm and then crop and keep amazing quality. It's the mobility! The 400 is realistic for a trained person to hold the entire game. The 600 is just over the edge.

But to your point.... one day that same technology in that broadcast lens will be in our hands. But I'll I'll be long gone in heaven where you can shoot all day and edit all night. :)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Not perceived, but a reality for us. An OVF at this time is essential. It's our preference for quality and allows for hand-holding of our f/2.8 300's and 400 primes at games where we are following very fast-moving athletes and switching from athlete to athlete. Not possible with an LCD or EVF. The 600's 800's and 200-400's Can't do it as stuck to a gimbal or mon/tri-pod the ability to follow the action is hampered. The EVF does not at "this time" offer the same response at the OVF. Perhaps in the future technology will make it so. I do like that the EVF is more reflective of exposure for those who are not as skilled as our senior people but anyone who can't function on manual would not be a "primary" photographer for our firm. Right now in skilled hands the OVF is still the most effective modality for high-speed professional sports with NFL, NBA, NHL and Extreme sports offering particular challenges. Some extreme sports are more difficult than perceived based on outdoor venues, bright sun and sea/ocean venues. Not seen a EVF up to it yet and I'm open minded. I think this will be a good 2 years away well after the Tokyo Games. It would be nice if by 2024 EVF's are perfected so the Olympic Games set a standard after 8K monitors make it into more homes and consumers can enjoy the types of resolutions we'll be shooting at. Perhaps people in their homes will finally see what we see when we shoot and edit! Best to you.

You missed my point. I shouldn't have given you an irrelevancy to fixate on.

You slammed the adapter, then when someone asked you why, you bitched about the EVF. What does the adapter have to do with the EVF? It's like complaining about the color of my car when it skids because the tires are bald.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Great question.

I'd like to see someone running on the sidelines with that lens, camera and pedestal that weighs more than Aaron Gibson. I want to hire that guy!

Now add the 8 guys in the truck or broadcast center and the BO&E engineer, producer and production assistants.

One day they might miniaturize the technology but for now that 250K lens and camera are stuck to that pedestal.

Amazing what one talented photographer can do handholding a 1DXMKII with a 2.8 400MM II.

Now increase the IQ and bring the MP's up to 30 and you've got people that can move and move fast with the ability to keep open at 400mm and then crop and keep amazing quality. It's the mobility! The 400 is realistic for a trained person to hold the entire game. The 600 is just over the edge.

But to your point.... one day that same technology in that broadcast lens will be in our hands. But I'll I'll be long gone in heaven where you can shoot all day and edit all night. :)

+++ The 400 is realistic for a trained person to hold the entire game

Hold as in handhold? Or monopod? We are talking 4.5 kg heavy contraption which has to be up and ready to shoot with your eye glued to OVF for how long again? Hours?

I have done number of sport gigs with Sigma 120-300/2.8 Sports indoors and Canon 400/2.8 II outdoors. Can I just say this: what you suggested is highly unlikely unless we are talking a very strong person and yet still this is only an exception. Not your typical use case. A gimmick.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I'm over 60 and do it. And I hire people who are fit. Grip, Lighting all heavy. Running with equipment and dodging athletes. If you can't handle it work for someone else. Cant lift 50 lbs as an employment requirement work for someone else. Me and my employees are in shape.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I'm over 60 and do it. And I hire people who are fit. Grip, Lighting all heavy. Running with equipment and dodging athletes. If you can't handle it work for someone else. Cant lift 50 lbs as an employment requirement work for someone else. Me and my employees are in shape.
I work for some one else :) 50lbs exceeds recommended maximum weight from a Safety and Health Perspective.
The safe limit today according to a Sydney university OHS guidance website is 16 kg. It advises that the upper limit is 55 kg but lifting any weight between 16 and 55 kg is potentially hazardous. No-one should lift anything heavier than 55 kg without a mechanical aid, it advises....

Handholding 5kg heavy Camera for a prolonged period of time is dangerous for one’s health.

In Australia, an employee cannot lift anything heavier than 24kg. I mean lift. Handholding for a prolonged period of time is out of question.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I work for some one else :) 50lbs exceeds recommended maximum weight from a Safety and Health Perspective.
The safe limit today according to a Sydney university OHS guidance website is 16 kg. It advises that the upper limit is 55 kg but lifting any weight between 16 and 55 kg is potentially hazardous. No-one should lift anything heavier than 55 kg without a mechanical aid, it advises....

Handholding 5kg heavy Camera for a prolonged period of time is dangerous for one’s health.

In Australia, an employee cannot lift anything heavier than 24kg. I mean lift. Handholding for a prolonged period of time is out of question.
The "condition for employment is that you're able to lift 50lbs" You can keep your camera down when you're not shooting. No one who works for me has a problem shooting a 1DXMKII with f/2.8 300 or 400 II. No snowflakes here.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Lifting 50lbs (24kg) is very different to be able to handhold a 5kg long and heavy Camera / glass contraption for 30 min plus up your face and avoid camera shake at the same time. The challenge is being able to stabilise camera under these conditions.
Hence majority of sport photogs would use a strong monopod in order to support camera while shooting.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
Canon is rumouring a lot and NOT bringing pro camera’s to the market a lot.

I am going to wait until Canon has brought every cam in its pipeline to the market in 2020. So the 1Dx III, the 5D V, the R follow-up, the mirrorles pro, or some hybrid cam.

We simply don’t know what to choose now.. so we wait. And I’m sure I’m not the only one.

And sure, you Canon trolls, hit me..
Have a nice day!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Canon is rumouring a lot and NOT bringing pro camera’s to the market a lot.

I am going to wait until Canon has brought every cam in its pipeline to the market in 2020. So the 1Dx III, the 5D V, the R follow-up, the mirrorles pro, or some hybrid cam.

We simply don’t know what to choose now.. so we wait. And I’m sure I’m not the only one.

And sure, you Canon trolls, hit me..
Have a nice day!
what are you shootings with while you are waiting? Do you wait and shoot or you don’t ?
I am keen to understand where is you confusion originated from.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon is rumouring a lot and NOT bringing pro camera’s to the market a lot...

"Canon" isn't rumoring anything. This site is not affiliated with Canon and the rumors are not coming from Canon, but from anonymous sources who claim to have access to information about future Canon products. The sources are not Canon.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
"Canon" isn't rumoring anything. This site is not affiliated with Canon and the rumors are not coming from Canon, but from anonymous sources who claim to have access to information about future Canon products. The sources are not Canon.

Surely you're not naive enough to think that absolutely no rumors about upcoming Canon products are "leaks" that are internally approved and sanctioned by senior management at Canon?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
++ but one would have to buy two expensive digital backs (around $2-4k I guess) just in order to to be able to change the lenses.

lets see, ideally I need 4 pro grade cameras - ideally..:

2 x jack of all trade Full frame - 5D level - for run and gun scenario - mid res - around 40Mp ??
1 x high res - studio, landscape, reproduction work, what ever requires high res work - 80Mp ??
1 x sport fast action type.. say. 30Mp - 15+ FPS Full frame.
I do not shoot video - so this leaves me wanting 4 cameras (only :) ) - say around $3500 + $3500 $4000 + $6,000 = $17K so far.

in the interchangeable digital back scenario, lets assume, each camera /wo digital back cost: $4,000 and digital back $2000 each?
I need 2 camera bodies and 4 digital backs. that's $8,000 + $8000 = $16,000.00
so the total cost of ownership is just about the same but flexibility though.

we understand benefits of interchangeable lenses very well. having a flexibility of multi resolution digital back at our disposal would be nice to have :)

Except when you have four complete bodies you can mount several completely different lenses on them and shoot them all at the same time. "Changing lenses" then only takes as long as it takes to let go of one camera hanging on your right side and picking up the other one hanging on your left side.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
That's simply not true.

I have been shooting a 600III with and without extenders on an R almost daily since March and have had zero issues vertical or horizontal.

Personally I would much rather just see a simple EF to RF extenders with a builtin flip switch like the 200-400.

How does a built in switch change the length of the back of the lens (or the front of the camera)?

The EF 200-400mm f/4 L IS 1.4X has a switch that moves optical elements sideways in or out of the optical path of the light going through the lens. It does not change the physical length of the lens at all.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Except when you have four complete bodies you can mount several completely different lenses on them and shoot them all at the same time. "Changing lenses" then only takes as long as it takes to let go of one camera hanging on your right side and picking up the other one hanging on your left side.
Ah, that’s cheating :) event shooters are usually maxed out at Having two camera bodies per person. However @GoldWing may disagree as at his firm condition of employment is being able to lift at least 50 Lbs. :D. Oh, dear. Where is the mega LOL icon here. Let’s just have a laugh, shall we :)

• Haha
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Ah, that’s cheating :) event shooters are usually maxed out at Having two camera bodies per person. However @GoldWing may disagree as at his firm condition of employment is being able to lift at least 50 Lbs. :D. Oh, dear. Where is the mega LOL icon here. Let’s just have a laugh, shall we :)
That happens to be a very common provision for employment for many firms. If you can lift 50lbs how can you lift and unpack stage cases, pelicans and grip cases? A messenger working for a law firm has the same requirement. Why don't you tell me what you don't understand? The camera and lens used to shoot don't weigh 50lbs. You just need to show you can lift 59lbs if needed to do every part of you job. Ignorance may have you laughing.... but it really shows how little you know.

Upvote 0