Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I am really struggling with settings on the D500 - Canon's ergonomics from menus to buttons is so much better. The lens is incredible. I ordered a refurbished 1.4xTC yesterday, and have just tested it, and the lens at 700mm is great.
As you know (and perhaps any other guy in the forum) I'm a Nikon user and one of the things that keep me (so far) off the D500 is the difference between the U1-2 settings and that "library" settings that they use for the "high level" cameras. For birds I would like to have the user settings (better 3 than 2!!!) of the Canon cameras - it seems much better/faster for opportunistic shooters like me. If you are a pro and you plan your shooting before you even get to the place and if you know +/- what are the conditions before you even get to the place - it could be fine...
And see what I mention in my previous post!
Concerning the 500 f5.6 - I would buy it at no time if available... But it is not and it's not my foul! It's Nikon foul and I'm not the first one to say it:mad:!
P.S. - huh, and combined with the AF of the D500 - than it makes some real difference!
P.S. II - Alan you really surprised me! Any way, I would believe your conclusions more than any of the "critical reviews" of some (whatever) guys on the Internet. But be sure you figure out the "language barrier" between this two (I mean Canon/Nikon)! Ergonomics - these are going to take more time: they are different, so different for comfortable shooting ... Write your opinion (please!) after you are sure there are no doubtful circumstances!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Despite Alan and others comments on how good DxO PL is at reducing noise on high iso images I have yet to see a compelling direct comparison actually illustrating the supposedly remarkable results they get where a 'native' RAW file is shown along with any alternate noise reduction options.

Certainly the example images used on the DxO website can be replicated in Lightroom to a very large degree.
I think the best way to compare it is by using the FREE 30 days trial... After that you can always say "it was my decision - not because somebody told me something". That simple...:unsure:!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
As you know (and perhaps any other guy in the forum) I'm a Nikon user and one of the things that keep me (so far) off the D500 is the difference between the U1-2 settings and that "library" settings that they use for the "high level" cameras. For birds I would like to have the user settings (better 3 than 2!!!) of the Canon cameras - it seems much better/faster for opportunistic shooters like me. If you are a pro and you plan your shooting before you even get to the place and if you know +/- what are the conditions before you even get to the place - it could be fine...
And see what I mention in my previous post!
Concerning the 500 f5.6 - I would buy it at no time if available... But it is not and it's not my foul! It's Nikon foul and I'm not the first one to say it:mad:!
P.S. - huh, and combined with the AF of the D500 - than it makes some real difference!
P.S. II - Alan you really surprised me! Any way, I would believe your conclusions more than any of the "critical reviews" of some (whatever) guys on the Internet. But be sure you figure out the "language barrier" between this two (I mean Canon/Nikon)! Ergonomics - these are going to take more time: they are different, so different for comfortable shooting ... Write your opinion (please!) after you are sure there are no doubtful circumstances!
I’m not giving up on Canon, just adding another piece of kit. My preferred kit for general shooting is and will continue to be a 5DSR or a 90D + 100-400mm II since they are so good and versatile they cover 90+ % of what I do. When I travel with my wife, she gets the zoom and I take the 400mm DO II plus second body. If the D850 works out I’ll travel with that. Arbitrage has given very helpful advice, and he far prefers the Canon ergonomics. Your 7000 series that has U1 and U2 custom settings like Canon’s C1 and C2 are much easier to use . Some of us have been complaining for a while that Canon invented the technology behind the PF lenses and has been sitting on it with just the magnificent and very expensive 400mm DO II while Nikon has come out with much cheaper and lighter 300 and 500mm copies.

Edit: Just found this from May this year.

The Nikon 500mm f/5.6 PF weighing in less than a 100-400mm II at 3.2lb (1.46kg) is selling like hot cakes and is back-ordered everywhere. Our 400mm DO II with lens hood weigh 2.265kg, and with a 1.4xTC 2.51kg or 5.5lb. If they were freely available, I would get a 500mm as I feel that extra kg over my shoulder. At least I have the good old 100-400mm II, which is unmatched.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I wonder what has happened to 600 f/4 DO plans. But this would be hugely expensive and maybe a 600 f/5.6 DO would do.

I believe it would be the right movement for Canon. Nikon would have 300 and 500 and Canon 400 and 600!

But it's wishful thinking.
Canon knocked off 890g (2lb) off the 600mm II on going to the version III last year by having just one heavy front element and just smaller elements far back in the lens (as now also used by them and Sony in the f/2.8 400mm etc). I guess it's the end of DO lenses.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Canon knocked off 890g (2lb) off the 600mm II on going to the version III last year by having just one heavy front element and just smaller elements far back in the lens (as now also used by them and Sony in the f/2.8 400mm etc). I guess it's the end of DO lenses.
This is unfortunate because Do lenses are not only lighter but shorter too. Very practical for travelling and walking.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I think the best way to compare it is by using the FREE 30 days trial... After that you can always say "it was my decision - not because somebody told me something". That simple...:unsure:!
I think it helps to see what people who are familiar with a thing can do with it, as well as free trials, paid trials, reviews etc etc all help to form an opinion based on actual results rather than buyers enthusiasm, new toy syndrome, inexperience unduly impacting the results you personally get.

Personally in forums like this I have zero respect for people that won’t illustrate their points, nobody is asking for unfettered access to personal or valuable images, simple test images that Craig hosts directly and can be deleted by the poster at any time seems a reasonable and simple enough thing to do in a visual medium conversation.

I have posted hundreds of images supporting and illustrating my point of view on innumerable subjects, so I do actually do what I say. If I say I get better results with a piece of software I post the results, I have done so many times with a plugin called FisheyeHemi for example.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Received a tip this morning, that the Long-eared Owls might be back at a previous roosting site. I walked around the area, but couldn't find them. Found fresh signs of them, but because it's a high traffic area for dog walkers, there's a good chance a dog flushed them out. I will check again at sunrise tomorrow morning. I did however, find a Barred Owl. Always nice to see them too! Taken with 7D Mkll and EF 100-400 ll

Jeremy

Very nice shots, Jeremy. i especially like the second one. Well done.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Bird photography is the most enjoyable of hobbies. It gets us out in the countryside to enjoy Nature, and with a purpose. It takes us away from the cares and the infighting in the world. We travel, meet like-minded company, make friends, compare gear and swap tips to improve our technique. This relaxed enthusiasm fuels this thread. It is one of the few places in CR where there are no arguments or rancour as we are here only for the fun. We respect each other and their photos. We share tips on gear and technique, and judge advice on the quality of the images posted. A tip is a tip. Try it for yourself. If works for you, use it. If it doesn’t don’t.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Bird photography is the most enjoyable of hobbies. It gets us out in the countryside to enjoy Nature, and with a purpose. It takes us away from the cares and the infighting in the world. We travel, meet like-minded company, make friends, compare gear and swap tips to improve our technique. This relaxed enthusiasm fuels this thread. It is one of the few places in CR where there are no arguments or rancour as we are here only for the fun. We respect each other and their photos. We share tips on gear and technique, and judge advice on the quality of the images posted. A tip is a tip. Try it for yourself. If works for you, use it. If it doesn’t don’t.
Boy, Alan you have given us a pretty high standard to live up to ... you mean we can't have arguments? :unsure: ;)

Merry Christmas everyone.

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I’m not giving up on Canon, just adding another piece of kit. My preferred kit for general shooting is and will continue to be a 5DSR or a 90D + 100-400mm II since they are so good and versatile they cover 90+ % of what I do. When I travel with my wife, she gets the zoom and I take the 400mm DO II plus second body. If the D850 works out I’ll travel with that. Arbitrage has given very helpful advice, and he far prefers the Canon ergonomics. Your 7000 series that has U1 and U2 custom settings like Canon’s C1 and C2 are much easier to use . Some of us have been complaining for a while that Canon invented the technology behind the PF lenses and has been sitting on it with just the magnificent and very expensive 400mm DO II while Nikon has come out with much cheaper and lighter 300 and 500mm copies.

Edit: Just found this from May this year.
Alan, I didn't expect you to give up the Canon - even for a second... My surprise was about your very broad (and obviously not biased) research of what is better for you in given circumstances.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I think it helps to see what people who are familiar with a thing can do with it, as well as free trials, paid trials, reviews etc etc all help to form an opinion based on actual results rather than buyers enthusiasm, new toy syndrome, inexperience unduly impacting the results you personally get.

Personally in forums like this I have zero respect for people that won’t illustrate their points, nobody is asking for unfettered access to personal or valuable images, simple test images that Craig hosts directly and can be deleted by the poster at any time seems a reasonable and simple enough thing to do in a visual medium conversation.

I have posted hundreds of images supporting and illustrating my point of view on innumerable subjects, so I do actually do what I say. If I say I get better results with a piece of software I post the results, I have done so many times with a plugin called FisheyeHemi for example.
Privatebydesign, my intend was not to be rude but on second reading I found it to be!
I apologize for this!
Here we use to say what is working better for us without making it a big science. When I read here some advise I use to check it if interested and if it doesn't work for me - I ignore it. The main problem is that many people don't say from where they are coming from and what exactly they are comparing!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
OK, after to much words - some photos: I found recently I'm missing in my collection +/_ good shots of juveniles Java Sparrow. After several days of rain and very high winds (up to 60mph according the forecast) it got nicely sunny and almost (almost!) no wind. From tomorrow it is getting back to the
previous pattern. The only difference is that the rain could be heavy at time (hmmm - down from "normal":))! The last shot is an adult (I posted it before, it's an older photo) - for comparison.

DSC_5326_DxO.jpgDSC_5329_DxO.jpgDSC_5336_DxO.jpgDSC_3188_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Boy, Alan you have given us a pretty high standard to live up to ... you mean we can't have arguments? :unsure: ;)

Merry Christmas everyone.

Jack
"... you mean we can't have arguments? :unsure: ".
Jack in really good families I hope they don't have even an arguments:);)! The problem is probably that I never met a "really good family" :unsure:.
On other hand -without arguments (no matter of the softness or the form) - are this families real/engaged to each-other?! There are not even two exactly same people who are married, forget about the opinions...
And yeah!!! Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
OK, after to much words - some photos: I found recently I'm missing in my collection +/_ good shots of juveniles Java Sparrow. After several days of rain and very high winds (up to 60mph according the forecast) it got nicely sunny and almost (almost!) no wind. From tomorrow it is getting back to the
previous pattern. The only difference is that the rain could be heavy at time (hmmm - down from "normal":))! The last shot is an adult (I posted it before, it's an older photo) - for comparison.

View attachment 187885View attachment 187886View attachment 187887View attachment 187888
I just love Java Sparrows! More please.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
"... you mean we can't have arguments? :unsure: ".
Jack in really good families I hope they don't have even an arguments:);)! The problem is probably that I never met a "really good family" :unsure:.
On other hand -without arguments (no matter of the softness or the form) - are this families real/engaged to each-other?! There are not even two exactly same people who are married, forget about the opinions...
And yeah!!! Merry Christmas everyone!!!
“All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” Leo Tolstoy (Anna Karenina).
Seasons greetings to you and everyone!

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan, I didn't expect you to give up the Canon - even for a second... My surprise was about your very broad (and obviously not biased) research of what is better for you in given circumstances.
“each crappy camera is crappy in its own way.” I'll report back some time on comparisons.

• Haha
Upvote 0