Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Bird photography is the most enjoyable of hobbies. It gets us out in the countryside to enjoy Nature, and with a purpose. It takes us away from the cares and the infighting in the world. We travel, meet like-minded company, make friends, compare gear and swap tips to improve our technique. This relaxed enthusiasm fuels this thread. It is one of the few places in CR where there are no arguments or rancour as we are here only for the fun. We respect each other and their photos. We share tips on gear and technique, and judge advice on the quality of the images posted. A tip is a tip. Try it for yourself. If works for you, use it. If it doesn’t don’t.
Boy, Alan you have given us a pretty high standard to live up to ... you mean we can't have arguments? :unsure: ;)

Merry Christmas everyone.

Jack

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I’m not giving up on Canon, just adding another piece of kit. My preferred kit for general shooting is and will continue to be a 5DSR or a 90D + 100-400mm II since they are so good and versatile they cover 90+ % of what I do. When I travel with my wife, she gets the zoom and I take the 400mm DO II plus second body. If the D850 works out I’ll travel with that. Arbitrage has given very helpful advice, and he far prefers the Canon ergonomics. Your 7000 series that has U1 and U2 custom settings like Canon’s C1 and C2 are much easier to use . Some of us have been complaining for a while that Canon invented the technology behind the PF lenses and has been sitting on it with just the magnificent and very expensive 400mm DO II while Nikon has come out with much cheaper and lighter 300 and 500mm copies.

Edit: Just found this from May this year.
Alan, I didn't expect you to give up the Canon - even for a second... My surprise was about your very broad (and obviously not biased) research of what is better for you in given circumstances.

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I think it helps to see what people who are familiar with a thing can do with it, as well as free trials, paid trials, reviews etc etc all help to form an opinion based on actual results rather than buyers enthusiasm, new toy syndrome, inexperience unduly impacting the results you personally get.

Personally in forums like this I have zero respect for people that won’t illustrate their points, nobody is asking for unfettered access to personal or valuable images, simple test images that Craig hosts directly and can be deleted by the poster at any time seems a reasonable and simple enough thing to do in a visual medium conversation.

I have posted hundreds of images supporting and illustrating my point of view on innumerable subjects, so I do actually do what I say. If I say I get better results with a piece of software I post the results, I have done so many times with a plugin called FisheyeHemi for example.
Privatebydesign, my intend was not to be rude but on second reading I found it to be!
I apologize for this!
Here we use to say what is working better for us without making it a big science. When I read here some advise I use to check it if interested and if it doesn't work for me - I ignore it. The main problem is that many people don't say from where they are coming from and what exactly they are comparing!

Reactions: Jack Douglas

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
OK, after to much words - some photos: I found recently I'm missing in my collection +/_ good shots of juveniles Java Sparrow. After several days of rain and very high winds (up to 60mph according the forecast) it got nicely sunny and almost (almost!) no wind. From tomorrow it is getting back to the
previous pattern. The only difference is that the rain could be heavy at time (hmmm - down from "normal":))! The last shot is an adult (I posted it before, it's an older photo) - for comparison.

DSC_5326_DxO.jpg
DSC_5329_DxO.jpg
DSC_5336_DxO.jpg
DSC_3188_DxO.jpg

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Boy, Alan you have given us a pretty high standard to live up to ... you mean we can't have arguments? :unsure: ;)

Merry Christmas everyone.

Jack
"... you mean we can't have arguments? :unsure: ".
Jack in really good families I hope they don't have even an arguments:);)! The problem is probably that I never met a "really good family" :unsure:.
On other hand -without arguments (no matter of the softness or the form) - are this families real/engaged to each-other?! There are not even two exactly same people who are married, forget about the opinions...
And yeah!!! Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Last edited:

AlanF

Hands. Face. Space.
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
OK, after to much words - some photos: I found recently I'm missing in my collection +/_ good shots of juveniles Java Sparrow. After several days of rain and very high winds (up to 60mph according the forecast) it got nicely sunny and almost (almost!) no wind. From tomorrow it is getting back to the
previous pattern. The only difference is that the rain could be heavy at time (hmmm - down from "normal":))! The last shot is an adult (I posted it before, it's an older photo) - for comparison.

View attachment 187885View attachment 187886View attachment 187887View attachment 187888
I just love Java Sparrows! More please.

Reactions: Valvebounce

AlanF

Hands. Face. Space.
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
"... you mean we can't have arguments? :unsure: ".
Jack in really good families I hope they don't have even an arguments:);)! The problem is probably that I never met a "really good family" :unsure:.
On other hand -without arguments (no matter of the softness or the form) - are this families real/engaged to each-other?! There are not even two exactly same people who are married, forget about the opinions...
And yeah!!! Merry Christmas everyone!!!
“All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” Leo Tolstoy (Anna Karenina).
Seasons greetings to you and everyone!

AlanF

Hands. Face. Space.
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan, I didn't expect you to give up the Canon - even for a second... My surprise was about your very broad (and obviously not biased) research of what is better for you in given circumstances.
“each crappy camera is crappy in its own way.” I'll report back some time on comparisons.

• Haha

tron

EOS R5
CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

View attachment 187885View attachment 187886View attachment 187887View attachment 187888
ISV they are very nice! Can I order some? I promice to feed them :)

Reactions: Jack Douglas

privatebydesign

Garfield is back...
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
Privatebydesign, my intend was not to be rude but on second reading I found it to be!
I apologize for this!
Here we use to say what is working better for us without making it a big science. When I read here some advise I use to check it if interested and if it doesn't work for me - I ignore it. The main problem is that many people don't say from where they are coming from and what exactly they are comparing!
Hi ISv, I took no offense nor detected any rudeness in your reply. I don’t find people having an opposing opinion rude, indeed you made a very valid point, but I find the problem with that suggestion is it relies on experience to get the best results and it is far easier to take a constant that has had a skilled (or person who extols the efficacy of the subject under dIscussion) application than fumble around with an unfamiliar program and workflow with a ‘free trial’ that you normally have to sign up for, create an account etc etc. and then compare that result to your current best processing. Also, we don’t all have the perfect shot on hand to illustrate the benefits.

I have downloaded the example before and after images from the DxO site and have run the before through Lightroom, I can’t see a decent difference. But would love somebody without an agenda (most forum participants as opposed to most ‘reviewers’) to post an actual RAW file and an after so anybody could compare their personal results. I have looked at reviews that have been suggested but none showed alternate Lightroom processing.

I do have an interest in these specifics because it seems to me modern post processing techniques applied skillfully can produce dramatically higher quality images at a fraction of the cost of hardware investments, a plugin might cost a hundred dollars, a new camera several thousand. I am also looking very closely at resizing software as I find my current 20mp limiting on occasions, Keith over at Northlight Images has a very detailed review of several resizing plugins and he has Adobe comparisons, so I personally have all the information I could look for in resizing options prior to a trial, I haven’t found the same with noise reduction and don’t feel it is much to ask from very active forum members who specifically extol the virtues of a particular piece of software particularly when they have posted many images in the past.

Either way, seasons greetings to you and all the other members, posters and visitors alike. May you get the shots you want next year :)

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Merry Christmas! I took this two years ago, of an owl who came down to check out the Christmas lighting.

View attachment 187889
I guess it's just because it's an owl but I love the "expression". Now if that were my Gray parrot, he'd be electrocuted because his first instinct would be to rip it to shreds - his goal in life is to destroy the world. Hmm, just like some people.;)

Jack

• Haha
Reactions: ISv and gwooding

RGB49

5DSR
CR Pro
Mar 31, 2019
Hi ISv, I took no offense nor detected any rudeness in your reply. I don’t find people having an opposing opinion rude, indeed you made a very valid point, but I find the problem with that suggestion is it relies on experience to get the best results and it is far easier to take a constant that has had a skilled (or person who extols the efficacy of the subject under dIscussion) application than fumble around with an unfamiliar program and workflow with a ‘free trial’ that you normally have to sign up for, create an account etc etc. and then compare that result to your current best processing. Also, we don’t all have the perfect shot on hand to illustrate the benefits.

I have downloaded the example before and after images from the DxO site and have run the before through Lightroom, I can’t see a decent difference. But would love somebody without an agenda (most forum participants as opposed to most ‘reviewers’) to post an actual RAW file and an after so anybody could compare their personal results. I have looked at reviews that have been suggested but none showed alternate Lightroom processing.

I do have an interest in these specifics because it seems to me modern post processing techniques applied skillfully can produce dramatically higher quality images at a fraction of the cost of hardware investments, a plugin might cost a hundred dollars, a new camera several thousand. I am also looking very closely at resizing software as I find my current 20mp limiting on occasions, Keith over at Northlight Images has a very detailed review of several resizing plugins and he has Adobe comparisons, so I personally have all the information I could look for in resizing options prior to a trial, I haven’t found the same with noise reduction and don’t feel it is much to ask from very active forum members who specifically extol the virtues of a particular piece of software particularly when they have posted many images in the past.

Either way, seasons greetings to you and all the other members, posters and visitors alike. May you get the shots you want next year :)
Re comparisons the post processing software I use is Capture 1 for Raw processing/cropping with default Noise reduction and sharpening turned off. I then export to Topaz labs to use Denoise AI or AI clear and then return the file to C1 to for any lighting or colour temp alterations.
In this screen grab it shows the original Raw image after import to C1 with only shadows lifted as it was underexposed by approx. two stops.
Merry Christmas to all at CR and thanks for the great images posted, they are an inspiration
Comparison topaz.jpg

Durf

Picture Taker - Image Maker
Re comparisons the post processing software I use is Capture 1 for Raw processing/cropping with default Noise reduction and sharpening turned off. I then export to Topaz labs to use Denoise AI or AI clear and then return the file to C1 to for any lighting or colour temp alterations.
In this screen grab it shows the original Raw image after import to C1 with only shadows lifted as it was underexposed by approx. two stops.
Merry Christmas to all at CR and thanks for the great images posted, they are an inspiration
View attachment 187903
I get the same results with DeNoise AI, love it!!!!
I'm going back years to re-edit some of my favorite RAW Files/photos, to clean them up and make them look amazingly better.

Reactions: jprusa

AlanF

Hands. Face. Space.
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A Robin taken at iso 2000 with the 90D, 100-400mm II at f/5.6 1/250s. Top is the uncorrected jpeg from the RAW; next RAW corrected in DPP, then RAW in PS, finally DxO PL3 with PRIME and luminance at 90. I've seen images where someone has worked wonders in noise suppression in PS using complex procedures involving filtering different channels etc, using layers and so on. But, what I like about DxO is that one can use a simple adjustment of the luminance slider in PRIME and not touching the standard sharpening from the lens sharpening module. The DPP and PS outputs I used could possibly be improved by fiddling with sharpening, thresholds, lum and chrom sliders etc. And, I am sure Topaz, Nik and other programs or plugins would give acceptable results. But DxO simply gives me the best compromise of noise and sharpness with minimal effort. A further example that shows the 90D gives clean results above iso 800.

IMG_4244_Robin_uncoirrected.jpg

IMG_4244_DxO_Robin_uncorrected.jpg
IMG_4244_Robin_DPP_L14.JPG
IMG_4244_PS.jpg
IMG_4244_DxO_Robin_90_Lum.jpg
dard

Last edited: