Show your Bird Portraits

tron

EOS R5
CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
We don't have here Robins - sorry!
But here is my "Merry Christmas" card - Hawaiian style (;) and you have your question answered right now). This is (may be:unsure:?!) my last edition of that RAW file. Red-Tailed Tropic Bird - adult.

P.S. " So they would have to have a flying ticket and a passport! " -:): yeah, we have such a birds here (many actually), some of them even have a GPS antennas on them (plus few rings on the legs). Like the Bristle-thighed Curlew and some others...
Some birds like the Red-Tailed Tropic bird on my Xmas card are ringed too... but so far I haven't seen GPS antennas on them!

View attachment 187911
But you do see the GPS Antennas! They are red! :D
Great photo of yet another exotic bird by the way!

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Had a great Christmas day so far, a two and half hour walk with the kids and grandkids on a really sunny day with the D500+500mm/5.6 PF slung over my shoulder for a test drive. The first is another Robin, 11.2m away, side-lit and against a bright sky. The bad news is that the D500 is an absolute pig when comes to storing settings and retrieving them rapidly. I would normally compensate for the lighting by having +1.7ev stored in setting C2 or C3 on a 5DSR or 90D and flicking the mode dial. The good news is that the sensor and noise are so good that pushing through 1.7 ev is a doddle. The detail with the 500mm lens at 11.2m is nearly as good as the 100-400mm II on the 90D at 5.6m in my previous posting. I came across a heron not too far away and got a supersharp shot of it. The good news is that it is really sharp. The bad news is that it is the first time I have seen Moire on a heron. My take home lessons so far are that the Canons are far easier to use and that the 90D is going to be more reliable for closer shots where there is the danger of Moire. But, it's looking like the Nikon is going to be better for squeezing out detail from far off targets. So far, it's AF is really good.
Back to another bird - cooking the turkey.
They are 100% crops, as usual.

View attachment 187913View attachment 187914View attachment 187915
For such a small bird 10m with such a detail is impressive (especially for the prize tag and the weight of the lens)! Thanks for the info!
You are lucky man for your Christmas weather: here it was rainy (from moderate to heavy 50/50) plus very strong winds. My part of the town was lucky - we had non stop an electricity. Thousands of people on the island had a blackout - all the day!

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Christmas Cardinal Headshot ;)
[7D Mark ii with 100-400mm L ii Lens]

View attachment 187923
I love your pictures Durf! In order to keep myself fit for the moment when I will see that very rare moment when every thing is working for great photo like background, light and even the opportunity for nice composition (birds have to collaborate;)) I use to practice my basic technique. It is very disappointing when you have such a moment and you miss it because your own bad job. AND I DON'T MEAN THIS PARTICULAR PHOTO - it looks great for me... I mean that if you are able to routinely take such a photos you should have much better chance to NOT miss the rare great opportunity!

Last edited:

Durf

Picture Taker - Image Maker
I love your pictures Durf! In order to keep myself fit for the moment when I will see that very rare moment when every thing is working for great photo like background, light and even the opportunity for nice composition (birds have to collaborate;)) I use to practice my basic technique. It is very disappointing when you have such a moment and you miss it because your own bad job. AND I DON'T MEAN THIS PARTICULAR PHOTO - it looks great for me... I mean that if you are able to routinely take such a photos you should have much better chance to NOT miss that rare opportunity!
I often study the background and light before I position myself to snap many of these bird pics. I have a few spots I use for most of my bird shots that I can also manage to shoot at the widest apertures possible with the birds really close to me, the background can get pretty awesome looking for sure. With the light changing in the backgrounds it often looks quite different from these same spots from one hour to the next.
I do this background planning when doing flower and mushroom shots etc quite often also.

Reactions: Jack Douglas

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Now some from yesterday (day after Christmas - nice weather!) and few from today (drizzling but most of the time fine around the South Shore)...
I took the photo of the Common Myna only because of the flowers fallen from the Sausage Tree. To stay/take photos under that tree - your own risk (check Wikipedia for Kigelia africana please:))!
The juvenile Night Heron is just drying after the Christmas rains...

DSC_5393_DxO-1.jpg
DSC_5476_DxO-1.jpg
DSC_5479_DxO.jpg
DSC_5531_DxO-1.jpg
DSC_5665_DxO-1.jpg

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I often study the background and light before I position myself to snap many of these bird pics. I have a few spots I use for most of my bird shots that I can also manage to shoot at the widest apertures possible with the birds really close to me, the background can get pretty awesome looking for sure. With the light changing in the backgrounds it often looks quite different from these same spots from one hour to the next.
I do this background planning when doing flower and mushroom shots etc quite often also.
Oh! "...few spots..." - how many species of birds do you have at that spots?! What you are doing when stepping in unknown spots?
Anyway, why mushrooms? - I'm asking this because before the birds I was taking photos of fungi too (I have a background in Mycology)!

Reactions: Durf

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
But you do see the GPS Antennas! They are red! :D
Great photo of yet another exotic bird by the way!
:D:D:D! Yeah they really look like antennas in this species! In the Red-billed Tropic bird the "antennas (streamers!!!)" are white and much longer (trans-galactic:unsure:?!) same as the "antennas" of the White-tailed Tropic bird (no valuable photo so far from me). Don't get confused by the overlapping names/features of these only 3 in the world species!
Here is one of the very rare visitors for the Islands - Red-Billed Tropic bird.
DSC_7871_DxO_DxO-1.jpg

Durf

Picture Taker - Image Maker
I am so jealous of you Durf and Isv that you are surrounded by such a variety of beautiful birds! Well done.
I think I'm gonna order the 90D, so many are telling me that its better than the 7D2. Most of the things I shoot are landed and hopping around, I don't shoot much birds in flight so it should work good for me when it comes to auto focusing....think I'm gonna just go for it.

AlanF

Hands. Face. Space.
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think I'm gonna order the 90D, so many are telling me that its better than the 7D2. Most of the things I shoot are landed and hopping around, I don't shoot much birds in flight so it should work good for me when it comes to auto focusing....think I'm gonna just go for it.
Jim, it pairs very well with the 100-400mm II that you use, a marriage made in heaven. For my own personal requirements, I use it without an extender as the best compromise between IQ, versatility and field of view. And it's pretty good for the majority of my type of birds in flight.

Reactions: Durf