Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
To put this shot in perspective, it is of a Eurasian Kingfisher at full velocity flying against a background of reeds and is 40m away, occupying only 580x270 pixels. The Eurasian Kingfisher is much smaller and faster than a Belted Kingfisher or a Pied Kingfisher. For 95% of my photography, my Canon DSLRs are first choice but for difficult BIF, the Nikon D500 + 500mm f/5.6 PF is the gear as its AF is awesome and was able to pick out the bird. Or maybe luck? I attempted to pan it and there was this one sharpish keeper. For straightforward BIF, it performs uncannily.

DSC_0574_DxO_kingfisher_in_flight_u.jpg

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Lapwings need the sun shining on them to show their beauty, and I was lucky enough to catch a flock with the low winter sun behind me. I could have got this shot just as easily with my 90D or 5D series. But, it's interesting seeing how different camera systems perform.

DSC_0548_DxO_lapwings_in_flight.jpg

Reactions: ISv, tron and Click

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks Alan. My lungs have taken a hit but my strength is fine, so no excuse for not being out carrying the 400 DO, slowly. ;)

Jack
Slowly and don't be shy to stop time to time to compensate for the oxygen in the blood! The strength may fall rapidly without enough of oxygen - be careful!
And keep your spirit high like now!(y)

Reactions: Jack Douglas

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
It's so difficult to find birds here at present that I was happy to take a photo of a Great Tit yesterday while doing a bit of testing.
View attachment 187965
Nice photo Alan, but keep in mind that D500 (is this it?) have a tendency to underexpose a little-bit in some scenes (at least my newly acquired one does it:)).
On other hand it's a child-game to recover a lot in the highlights and after that to increase little-bit the exposure... or the mid-tones.

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Here I have few from my first try of my new camera (same lens). Found them slightly softer but I still haven't check for lens/body alignment (aka fine tuning the lens) - I hope this is the problem. Otherwise just ~2.5MP loss should not be that visible! Focus-tracking is superior (I still have to evaluate the focus acquisition and accuracy). I didn't have a chance to try BIF today but it looks promising...
I'm still into very basics of this camera. In generally not that big deal (in comparison with Alan who is trying this from different system) but still - one day is not enough! Last two photos at ISO 1000.

DSC_0164_DxO-1.jpg
DSC_0194_DxO.jpg
DSC_0199_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Very nice series, ISv.

Happy New Year!
Thanks Click! But I just deleted my second photo - not on the level of this forum... neither of my expectations!
Happy New Year!!!

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Here I have few from my first try of my new camera (same lens). Found them slightly softer but I still haven't check for lens/body alignment (aka fine tuning the lens) - I hope this is the problem. Otherwise just ~2.5MP loss should not be that visible! Focus-tracking is superior (I still have to evaluate the focus acquisition and accuracy). I didn't have a chance to try BIF today but it looks promising...
I'm still into very basics of this camera. In generally not that big deal (in comparison with Alan who is trying this from different system) but still - one day is not enough! Last two photos at ISO 1000.

View attachment 187970View attachment 187972View attachment 187973
I don’t really like Indian Mynas - aggressive invaders. The very first thing I do with a new camera is to AFMA it or fine tune. The difference in Mpx should not be noticeable. Enjoy your New Year‘s acquisition and have a great 2020 with it!

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks Alan! In this particular time of the year I don't have enough time/mood to do real AFMA:D! But it's a #1 in the next few weeks (better in the next two - if the things are not going as expected I have to return the camera). I didn't need any adjustments with my older camera. It's still here, waiting for the verdict but I'm not at all sure I want to sell it - it is mighty one and would be fine back up body!

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Oh! I don't like the Common Mynas too but they where readily available for my tests:)!

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks Alan! In this particular time of the year I don't have enough time/mood to do real AFMA:D! But it's a #1 in the next few weeks (better in the next two - if the things are not going as expected I have to return the camera). I didn't need any adjustments with my older camera. It's still here, waiting for the verdict but I'm not at all sure I want to sell it - it is mighty one and would be fine back up body!
I believe the camera you have just bought has Auto Fine Tune whereby it sets itself by liveview and then AF, which should be quick and easy. I've got into a routine for AFMA using Reikan Focal. It takes a while for the software to be compatible with newly released bodies and it's a PITA taking the computer etc into the garden where I AFMA. So, I use the manual method of taking 3 jpegs at each AFMA from -20 to +20 every 5 units, which takes about 5-10 minutes. Downloading back indoors and then feeding them into the program, which is another 5 minutes. For my latest acquisition pair, the AFMA for the bare lens is 0 but the 1.4xTC requires a very noticeable +7. I don't know if that correction is unusually high but I have similar shifts with TCs on my 100-400mm IIs. I have too many bodies and lenses so FoCal is very good value for me, and it's so quick by the manual procedure that mirrorless's not requiring AFMA isn't an issue.

Reactions: Raptors

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Click! But I just deleted my second photo - not on the level of this forum... neither of my expectations!
Happy New Year!!!
I'm beginning to wonder if anything I can do will be to these new levels! :confused::(:) A friend just spent $55k on a vehicle and it seems to me such a waste but a camera ... now that would be good value (or maybe not).:unsure:

Jack

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Pochards have unusual habits. The males migrate to cold England in the winter while the females go off to live it up in Spain.

View attachment 188029
I like the Pochard!
You are lucky: here the weather is between ISO 25000 and 50000. The mountain is just few km from my place and normally one can "count" the trees there. Today I don't see the mountain because of the rain. And the forecast is for few more days like this (but I hope they are wrong... at least for few hours).:sleep:

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I grew up in Edmonton with tons of those pests but believe it or not, now 15 miles away I never see one, thankfully. ;)
Cockney sparras are a sacred icon here. Anyway, I don't recall seeing you in Edmonton - I used to go through there on the 102 bus.