Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I often study the background and light before I position myself to snap many of these bird pics. I have a few spots I use for most of my bird shots that I can also manage to shoot at the widest apertures possible with the birds really close to me, the background can get pretty awesome looking for sure. With the light changing in the backgrounds it often looks quite different from these same spots from one hour to the next.
I do this background planning when doing flower and mushroom shots etc quite often also.

Oh! "...few spots..." - how many species of birds do you have at that spots?! What you are doing when stepping in unknown spots?
Anyway, why mushrooms? - I'm asking this because before the birds I was taking photos of fungi too (I have a background in Mycology)!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
But you do see the GPS Antennas! They are red! :D
Great photo of yet another exotic bird by the way!
:D:D:D! Yeah they really look like antennas in this species! In the Red-billed Tropic bird the "antennas (streamers!!!)" are white and much longer (trans-galactic:unsure:?!) same as the "antennas" of the White-tailed Tropic bird (no valuable photo so far from me). Don't get confused by the overlapping names/features of these only 3 in the world species!
Here is one of the very rare visitors for the Islands - Red-Billed Tropic bird.DSC_7871_DxO_DxO-1.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
I am so jealous of you Durf and Isv that you are surrounded by such a variety of beautiful birds! Well done.
I think I'm gonna order the 90D, so many are telling me that its better than the 7D2. Most of the things I shoot are landed and hopping around, I don't shoot much birds in flight so it should work good for me when it comes to auto focusing....think I'm gonna just go for it.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think I'm gonna order the 90D, so many are telling me that its better than the 7D2. Most of the things I shoot are landed and hopping around, I don't shoot much birds in flight so it should work good for me when it comes to auto focusing....think I'm gonna just go for it.
Jim, it pairs very well with the 100-400mm II that you use, a marriage made in heaven. For my own personal requirements, I use it without an extender as the best compromise between IQ, versatility and field of view. And it's pretty good for the majority of my type of birds in flight.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jim, it pairs very well with the 100-400mm II that you use, a marriage made in heaven. For my own personal requirements, I use it without an extender as the best compromise between IQ, versatility and field of view. And it's pretty good for the majority of my type of birds in flight.
Ordered ;)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well the only downside I can think of 500mm PF is that it needs a … Nikon behind it :ROFLMAO:
If Canon had put the equivalent of the sensor and AF of the D500 into the body of the 7DII, we would have the 7DIII we had dreamed of. What I mean is that the 7DII has superb ergonomics in both physical handling and menus, and Canon should have updated its sensor and AF.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Female of White-rumped Shama with her lunch (it was around 1pm today). I think after this sausage (Mourning Gecko) she may skip the dinner:unsure:. Didn't know they are including also lizards in the menu (so far I have seen them with insects and worms only). She made my not very successful day today:love:!

DSC_5765_DxO-1.jpgDSC_5773_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
We have a Varied Thrush visiting our state, roughly 4 hours to the northwest of me. I took a road trip yesterday, and visited a few areas in that part of the state. I got to the area of the thrush, about 20 minutes before sunrise. It was still very dark, and even after sunrise, lighting was pretty bad. The first picture was at ISO 3200 and the other two at ISO 1600. After several of you have recommended Denoise AI, I tried it out on these photos. It really works well, thanks! It turned these 3 photos from blah to very acceptable. Sometimes conditions are just terrible for shooting. 7D mkll & EF 500 F4 IS for the 3 photos.

Jeremy

B34A5777-2-denoise-denoise.jpgB34A6027-denoise.jpgB34A6045-denoise.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Female of White-rumped Shama with her lunch (it was around 1pm today). I think after this sausage (Mourning Gecko) she may skip the dinner:unsure:. Didn't know they are including also lizards in the menu (so far I have seen them with insects and worms only). She made my not very successful day today:love:!

Very nice shots. I especially like the first one.

Upvote 0