Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

DPAF for me is much more important than the no crop. I can compensate crop with a wider lens, simple as that. But having no DPAF oh boy. Then the only FF option with DPAF is the Canon C500. Other than that you have the Panasonic S1H Full Frame that has Auto-focus in 4k60. Not as good as DPAF but very usable.

Yes but the S1h has a super 35 crop in 4k60. Maybe the 1dx iii has both 4k60 full frame with no DPAF or 4k60 cropped with DPAF

Upvote 0
I guess we all know now that the EOS R for sport will have same specs minus the mirror.
You know Canon, it cannot be the same, it will have to be less... unfortunately. They have the tech to make a killer EOS R (Pro or Sport). But they will be holding back till there is no one left to buy the gear. We are in the rarefied atmosphere still shooting real cameras. Not exactly a dying breed, just a reduced footprint of a breed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You know Canon, it cannot be the same, it will have to be less... unfortunately. They have the tech to make a killer EOS R (Pro or Sport). But they will be holding back till there is no one left to buy the gear. We are in the rarefied atmosphere still shooting real cameras. Not exactly a dying breed, just a reduced footprint of a breed.
This could be a "Make one last upgrade for the Pros that have huge EF investments, then wow them with a R sport with better features so they re-invest in all new RF lenses"

3 months ago we knew the MKIII was coming, and the High Rez R - but the fact that there is not just one, but 2-3 R mount cameras being announced in the first half of 2020? My guess (hope) is that Canon is sandbagging, and will unveil the specs for the Canon R sport soon.

Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Skimboard athlete from Portugal.
Jan 3, 2020
Yes but the S1h has a super 35 crop in 4k60. Maybe the 1dx iii has both 4k60 full frame with no DPAF or 4k60 cropped with DPAF
That would be perfect for me. I don't really care about full frame that much for video as long as I have DPAF. For photos yes, Full Frame I like it. But for video, DPAF > Full Frame. Let's wait to see what are the final specs. After all this is a rumours site.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This could be a "Make one last upgrade for the Pros that have huge EF investments, then wow them with a R sport with better features so they re-invest in all new RF lenses"

3 months ago we knew the MKIII was coming, and the High Rez R - but the fact that there is not just one, but 2-3 R mount cameras being announced in the first half of 2020? My guess (hope) is that Canon is sandbagging, and will unveil the specs for the Canon R sport soon.

"sport" assuming you mean the 1 series RF is not coming next year according to pretty reliable sources.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
I
"sport" assuming you mean the 1 series RF is not coming next year according to pretty reliable sources.
I bet an R sport version is 2 or maybe even 3 years away. Sony really has a big lead in mirrorless camera technology and FF mirrorless market share. Making the R&D investments to match the AF performance of the A92 simply may not be possible for Canon in the near future, especially when the camera market is in freefall. Sony is big and tough. Canon is facing a steep hill.

Glad to see any rumor that the 1DX3 has improved AF tracking! For BIF, AF tracking in the 1DX2 is unstable in certain circumstances and falls short when compared to the AF tracking of the D5 or A92.

Upvote 0
I've had the personal opinion that the 1 series RF camera will be the the dual RF/EF hybrid viewfinder with the movable sensor. I was surprised the new sensor is the same resolution, it seems to me that they just applied the same upgrades that were performed on the 5d IV sensor for the R. The 1d Sensor already had very fast output, on the existing 1dx II. Just optimizing and producing it on a smaller process will make it slightly faster, and more importantly won't take as extensive design time.

Like I said, I suspect Canon is sandbagging and the new R series cameras this year will match or exceed it in FPS and video capability, and the RF 1 series next year will blow this one away. That doesn't mean a dedicated mirrorless sports camera might not come out before that. Something in full frame that more or less fills the role of the 7d2 without the aps-c part. They really want to push all this excellent RF glass, and having a EF pro camera that is better than everything on the RF side is not the way to do this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I

I bet an R sport version is 2 or maybe even 3 years away. Sony really has a big lead in mirrorless camera technology and FF mirrorless market share. Making the R&D investments to match the AF performance of the A92 simply may not be possible for Canon in the near future, especially when the camera market is in freefall. Sony is big and tough. Canon is facing a steep hill.
not that steep. Canon is currently doing AF tracking at 30 fps on DPAF, exceeding even that of the A9 II. Also, compare EOS R 1.0 to EOS R 1.4 - that was 11 months from ship date, and consider a 1 series RF will probably be similar to size and function of the 1 series EF camera, which means it can support quite a few DIGIC's with one dedicated to AF processing, something the EOS R cannot. Canon came a long way with the R in 10-11 months with firmware updates and AF speed and tracking. and that's nothing to what a 1 series RF camera could do.

WHile it won't be easy, looking at the AF capabilities and speed of the M6 II / 90D in liveview and thet EOS R running 1.4 .. Canon has made great strides in very little time. Sony's lead used to be quite large, it's not anymore. Most comparison videos showing updated EOS R versus Sony A7 series cameras, isn't much of a difference. the big difference right now is animal AF.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You know Canon, it cannot be the same, it will have to be less... unfortunately.
Tell it to M6 Mark II buyers. Of course it will be less in some areas, more in other areas. Every camera mfg., car mfg., does it... not just Canon. Different choices at different price points.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I

Glad to see any rumor that the 1DX3 has improved AF tracking! For BIF, AF tracking in the 1DX2 is unstable in certain circumstances and falls short when compared to the AF tracking of the D5 or A92.
While it might have an improved AF tracking, that's not all that matters for birding; resolution is also important and 20MP is pretty lame, if you consider the need for crop and all bird photographers have that need.
So lets see if I got this right; currently, as a Canon bird photographer I can have:
  • excellent AF and speed, with the 1DX series, but not enough resolution
  • acceptable resolution, OK AF but not enough burst speed with the 5D Mark IV
  • excellent AF, acceptable resolution but terrible EVF blackout with the EOS-R
This is in 2020; really, Canon?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This can't be true... No DPAF in 4k50? So, the 1d x ii has it but the iii does not? I really hope this is an error the the rumor specs. If it's not an error, then I guess I will be keeping my 1d x ii. For raw video with no AF already have blackmagic pocket with internal raw or the panasonic s1h with ibis. Let's wait to see if it's really true. Maybe it's a mistake and it's supposed to say "no DPAF in RAW", but "no DPAF in RAW + 4k60/50p" is too much to ask for. HUGE step backwards.

That seems like a massive f-up on Canon's part if true. For a cinema camera it wouldn't be a big deal, but for a camera targeted to sports/press/wildlife photographers not having DPAF makes the 4K60 pretty much useless.

Upvote 0
we live in an era of entitled people, demanding they need to be served the best, 20mp was good yesterday but its not good today in their minds everything must keep getting better, here to read all the angry entitled comments as well :p

How dare people ask for improvements. I mean Canon gives us these cameras completely free out of the goodness of their hearts, it's not like they're trying to get people to pay large sums of money for these cameras.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0