EOS R related announcements coming for CP+ [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Lost in all of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III interest is the fact that CP+ begins next month and that it will be a major show for Canon announcements.
We have been told that Canon will introduce a new EOS R camera ahead of the show in February, along with 2 new RF mount lenses.
It’s expected Canon will announce a high megapixel addition to the EOS R lineup, a camera that has been rumored for quite some time.
The same source said the EOS R Mark II is coming in 2020, but the exact time we’d see an announcement was unknown to them.
We will be getting at least one new prime and one new zoom lens announced for the RF mount and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see another round of development announcements for RF mount lenses and maybe cameras.

Continue reading...

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I wonder of they would release both the hi res R and an R2 at the same time? Not really a regular canon move but it would be a bold move if they did it
Last time we heard about the R II it was assumed to be coming alongside the 5D V more towards the end of the year. As this is the body everybody is screaming about since the R was released without two card slots, I feel like it makes sense to launch it later when all remaining corners are ground off with insights from the high res R release.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Last time we heard about the R II it was assumed to be coming alongside the 5D V more towards the end of the year. As this is the body everybody is screaming about since the R was released without two card slots, I feel like it makes sense to launch it later when all remaining corners are ground off with insights from the high res R release.
Chances are you are correct. I doubt they would come at the same time. I just though that if they could pull it off without the rumour mill spoiling the surprise then it would be quite the coup. It could claw back some of the negative press they receive from the yootoobers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It could claw back some of the negative press they receive from the yootoobers.
The M6 II was perceived really well from what I saw among the YouTube and general online reviews. I still suspect that the high res R will take everything that's great about that camera and combine it with some 5D level features. It's obviously just spectaculation in my part. But to me it would make the camera very interesting and it would explain to me why there's no 7D III.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
If an EOS R MKII is coming, is there any point to a 5D MKV as well?

Yeah I'd say for EF system people who are getting one more pro camera, they will get one more "do everything" camera at least. Doubt they would get another high MP body, I think they want to emphasize the quality of the RF glass so will funnel those people to the "February" body.

Personally I'm conflicted. I would like a better body than my R ASAP but I don't know that I want to deal with the particulars of a 5DS-like body...30 MP is "enough" though I would take 40 - 50, and I shoot a lot of low light, and the R is as slow in terms of FPS as I would want. If this new camera will be 80 MP it would be great if there is a lower-resolution uncompressed raw format.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
If an EOS R MKII is coming, is there any point to a 5D MKV as well?
At the moment there's no full-frame Canon mirrorless camera with a usable EVF for fast action (they both have terrible blackout) so yes, there's a reason for a new camera that has a higher resolution than the coming 1DX Mark III, an OVF and a faster AF and burst rate.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0