Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

Personally, I hope they take their time and read all 25 pages of this thread first. This is a sample of the mixed reactions that the rest of the world will have.

And i was gonna ask whats going on in here! lol - Skips from page one to twenty five...haha

So, my Mk2 is still good right?? I only shoot stills with it (funny enough I use the 5D4 and EOSR for video and thats only at 1080p lol).. I MUST need better AF as I still miss stuff with the 1DX2..... new camera....yummy..... How much blood money is it...?

New sensor check... (not required)
New AF (maybe but old ones not too shabby)
Supersonic video modes (check)

Whats this..... illuminated buttons - SOLD..... :D

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Canon doesn't say this camera is professional, because it's not.
No professional camera will be completely different of any other cameras. :)
Also it still has many flows over the DSLRs.
Being professional was not the point. The point was that if you have a DSLR you are kind of stuck with it untill the newer version comes out. With mirrorless bodies, firmware updates can add new functions and not only bugfixes.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
True but EOS R was not completely ready in eye-AF functionality as even the entry level EOS RP proved. So they fixed that.
So now it is not certain that they will provide even more additional functionality.

Don't forget that there were occasions where additional functionality had been given in DSLRs

5DIII (centre focusing at f/8) 1Dx (centre focusing at f/8 plus AF point illumination if I am not mistaken) 7D (buffer depth)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
True but EOS R was not completely ready in eye-AF functionality as even the entry level EOS RP proved. So they fixed that.
So now it is not certain that they will provide even more additional functionality.

Don't forget that there were occasions where additional functionality has been given in DSLRs

5DIII (centre focusing at f/8) 1Dx (centre focusing at f/8 plus AF point illumination if I am not mistaken) 7D (buffer depth)
Yes point taken and being it Canon I think it's likely that they will not give us much more additional functionality. After four years with the 1DX II still no built-in intervalometer in their flagship camera.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
What nonsense. Any computer from the past 10 years will chomp a 30MP file without breaking sweat. Do you think that the average mid-tier buyer of a 32MP M6-2 is also upgrading their computing hardware at the same time? Of course not. So why would it be a problem to pros?

20MP is abysmal in 2020. Quite often I reach for the 21MP 1Ds3 to get a minor resolution bump and a bit more cropability. That camera was announced in August 2007. But it was also the last of the stills-only 1D line, before videography starting screwing with the specifications.

I'd bet that a 30MP 1DX3 would be possible if they removed all that video processing overhead and left that to the EOS C line. After all we're constantly told on this forum that the 1DX is for sports shooters uploading JPEGs in real-time to their editors, so why bother with video?

You nailed it. So in order to get decent (not spectacular) video performance we give up the chance for a great 1DX iii. Makes 0 sense that they did this. What pro is going to use the 1Dx for shooting video when there's the C series for the same price?

Upvote 0
You nailed it. So in order to get decent (not spectacular) video performance we give up the chance for a great 1DX iii. Makes 0 sense that they did this. What pro is going to use the 1Dx for shooting video when there's the C series for the same price?

Someone who does still and video and logistically one camera makes sense such as photography / filmmaking in the wild.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Maybe I will see when I get there.
I'm pretty sure majority of cameras at Tokyo will be Canons. Naturally can't speak for your friends/country, but I'm willing to bet <20% of the cameras we'll see at the stands will be Sonys, and >60% will be Canons.

I'm noticing a lot more Sony cameras at sporting events. I think Canon's share is going to be shockingly reduced at Tokyo.

Upvote 0
Personally, I hope they take their time and read all 25 pages of this thread first. This is a sample of the mixed reactions that the rest of the world will have.

Lol and then what? This camera will have taken years to create. They're gonna whip something together to satisfy the forum dwellers in a few hours?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Thank you so much. Since about 90% of my paid work is sports photography, I really appreciate people like you telling me what I do and don't want or need. I don't know how I have gotten along without you and others who so confidently can tell me my own needs.
As a professional motorsport photographer I want good pixels with great dynamic range, and 24-50 mpix is nice. More mpix with Sony type sensitivity response is better. They guy saying pros don’t want that is a goon and shots fired

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The 600 lll is extremely sharp and very fast focusing on the 1DX2. The lighter weight of the 600 lll makes tracking BIF more precise and the 5-stop IS is great. With only 20 MP, I almost always shoot BIF with a 1.4x lll or 2X lll. The combos are capable of producing very sharp images.

The 600 lll performs well on my 7D2 but as you know, that camera requires good light and it lacks the battery power to drive the large servos as quickly as the 1Dx2.

The 5DSR is my go to camera for perched birds. The 50 MP files render fine detail that blows the 1DX2 away. Wonderful camera. But the AF of the 5DSR is borrowed from the 5D3 and is not Canon's best option for BIF.
Thanks for answering. I use my 500 II mainly from my car with 5DsR. Rarely, I have to handhold for BIF but at least the Full frame camera makes targeting birds easier. 5DsR has not super AF but it is not bad either. The trouble with 600 apart from price is that it is so long it cannot get in a bag with the camera. I have already 2 bags that can carry my 500. A 26L Gura Gear Bataflae that merely carries the 500 without camera (on half of it) and a Think Tank Harddrive 2.0 that can carry a 500 with camera and just a little bit more. No intention to get a 3rd super long bag but also the cost is a factor too.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
I hand hold with a 1DXMKII and a 2.8 400mm and 300mm ii,s but I've never done that with a 600. You must be in great shape. However, I do always have another 1DXMKII with a 2.8 70-200 II always over my shoulder's with a 24-70 in my vest with batteries and cards. But I've NEVER hand held with a 600, 800 or 200-400 I must tip my hat to you sir
lol. All my BIF buddies handhold 600mm lenses with 1.4 or 2x teleconverters. Shooting from a gimbal/tripod is not as productive on fast moving birds. The EF 400mm F4 DO ll with a teleconverter is much easier to handhold and another good BIF option.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I too use 400DOII either with 7DII or with 5DsR. I haven't been able to use it with teleconverter with 5DsR, I guess I will have to check AFMA. I have used it twice with 7D2 and the results were decent. A 600DO would go a long way towards portability though. Not very probable since 600III is a reality though. A 1Dx series would require a 2XIII permanently on the 400DOII by the way :D Acceptable only if AF remains super fast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I for one am very excited for this camera. I am primarily in the video world, and my main camera is the Canon C200. In my opinion, the 1DXIII and the C200 will compliment each other very well just based on the specs leaked on the 1DXIII. Sure the DPAF omitted from RAW video capture and 4K60 is a bummer (hoping 4K60p cropped will still have DPAF), but it isn't a deal breaker to me honestly (since most cinema glass doesn't have AF anyways). However, having internal RAW and 10-bit 422 (c200 doesn't even have that) is very exciting as a filmmaker. Sure, at this price I could just get another C200, but having the versatility of a hybrid camera is really important to me and my workflow/filmmaking style. The smaller form factor for travel, weather sealing for when I don't want to/can't shoot on my C200, gimbal camera, and motorized slider for interviews are just a couple of reasons that make the 1DXIII really attractive to me.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
How about when you use the 600mm lens with the 1.4x TC or 2x TC and you still need to crop because it's impossible to get closer to the subject for objective reasons?
Is that still the wrong piece of equipment for the job?

You tell me.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
How about when you need a horizontal crop for the website, a square crop for social media, a vertical for printing at 300 dpi and another horizontal crop for large wall displays and posters? The days of an image being destined for a single medium are over. Loose cropping is needed because you never know how the image will be used.

That is your problem to figure out.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Editors aren't photographers, graphic designers aren't photographers, and layout people aren't photographers --- but all of these people determine how an image is used, and sometimes it's radically differently than the way a photographer saw + captured the scene.

So there are so many variables you can never have a perfect camera for so much.
What did you do in the days of film?
There did not seem to be all this hand wringing then.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0