Canon officially announces the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong; I'm speculating out loud, not making an argument here, but does the 1DX mk. III really have so much horsepower, or is this just marketing?
I never saw where the notion that lots of data requires lots of processing power comes from. Sure, it needs to be compressed, but I would have thought Canon had figured out how to do that efficiently long ago.

Evaluation of the AF system, which in the 1DX III has a ton of information to process, is likely what requires the high end chips. And jn this instance, the massive video specs as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
It's like . . . and bear in mind, I'm a 1DX-series spectator, but . . . the thing we hear over and over is that the processors in the 1DX line have to be "so powerful" in order to support the "massive amount of data" the camera is handling, and yet, the DIGIC X processor is pushing fewer MP/sec than a processor in a camera priced under 1K.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong; I'm speculating out loud, not making an argument here, but does the 1DX mk. III really have so much horsepower, or is this just marketing?
There are number or limiting factors at play here.: 20FPS mechanical shutter is one of these. Maximum number of shots to fill the buffer. At this point of time, I do not believe Canon is holding off due to marketing. It is all about technological limitations.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I never saw where the notion that lots of data requires lots of processing power comes from. Sure, it needs to be compressed, but I would have thought Canon had figured out how to do that efficiently long ago.

Evaluation of the AF system, which in the 1DX III has a ton of information to process, is likely what requires the high end chips. And jn this instance, the massive video specs as well.

Surely, though, in live-view mode, the 1DX mk. III is not doing more autofocus calculations than the M6 mk. II? Perhaps it's the complex phase detection AF that kicks in when the OVF is in use (and the "head detect" software therein).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Unerstand that I'm stills + OVF obsessed, and that's not the full picture throughput-wise. DPAF, video, tracking, etc. are not concerns of mine but certainly may represent a serious load on the processing.

So please take my very crude MP x fps examples as just one nutty way of looking at throughput. Other far brighter people than I on this forum will give you better answers on this.

- A

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
Yeah, as we discussed, 2.4Gpx per second internal throughput is just way to much and they had to use a 1.3 crop mode instead. That is a 1.42Gpx per second internal throughout instead of 2.4. Which is obviously more manageable.
This is obviously a technical limitation and not a “Cripple Hammer” according to forum trolls.

I believe many cameras do a slightly cropped mode for higher fps modes, I think Fujifilm & Panasonic do that. But according to the spec sheet on Canon's website, AF doesn't function with 60fps RAW & uncropped 4K/60fps.

However, I think the "no audio recording" with 1080/120fps is weird, because I think cheaper cameras from Sony, Nikon & Panasonic does that with AF & audio.

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
I believe many cameras do a slightly cropped mode for higher fps modes, I think Fujifilm & Panasonic do that. But according to the spec sheet on Canon's website, AF doesn't function with 60fps RAW & uncropped 4K/60fps.

However, I think the "no audio recording" with 1080/120fps is weird, because I think cheaper cameras from Sony, Nikon & Panasonic does that with AF & audio.

Jared Polin mentions this in his announcement summary (I'm not linking to it, but it's out there for those interested).

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

I am not doing video, but if I had to, I would use an external audio recorder anyway. In-camera audio recording is noisy. Correct?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
Unerstand that I'm stills + OVF obsessed, and that's not the full picture throughput-wise. DPAF, video, tracking, etc. are not concerns of mine but certainly may represent a serious load on the processing.

So please take my very crude MP x fps examples as just one nutty way of looking at throughput. Other far brighter people than I on this forum will give you better answers on this.

- A

I think it's wise to keep talking about this stuff, despite us not all being mechanical and electronic engineers, as long as we're being reasonable and are willing to admit when someone more educated/knowledgeable can offer better information.

Continuing to speculate:

Like the 1DX Mk. III, the M6 mk. II also has DPAF, video, and tracking that it has to do, apparently while pushing more image data. I do think that the specs revealed in this announcement, married to the price of the system, merit some degree of skepticism (and indeed, some of the commentary here is asking meaningful questions about what consumers are meant to pay for when they invest in this body) ---- before I get flamed, let add that I'm not devaluing the design, the weather sealing, the usability, or the toughness --- although, to be fair, the 1D series did already innovate many of these things years ago . . .

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I think it's wise to keep talking about this stuff, despite us not all being mechanical and electronic engineers, as long as we're being reasonable and are willing to admit when someone more educated/knowledgeable can offer better information.

[...]

I do think that the specs revealed in this announcement, married to the price of the system, merit some degree of skepticism
On that note, here's what Canon apparently wants us to believe:

"
At the heart of the 1DX Mark III is a new Digic X chip, which Canon says will be the start of a new family of camera processors. These will apparently be tailored to each camera – you won't get the same Digic X in a Canon M series, for example – but they will all come under the umbrella name 'Digic X'.

It's tricky to say precisely how much of a leap this is from the current Digic 9, but compared to the dual processors in the 1DX Mark II, Canon says it can crunch computational data 380 times faster and process images three times quicker."

From: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/canon-1dx-mark-iii

Upvote 0
Looks awesome.

But honestly, I’m not tempted enough to buy it. Sure, if my 1D X falls off a cliff into lava I’ll replace it with a 1D X III. For me, it’s less about the degree of improvements and more about the fact that the 1D X still very effectively meets my needs.

It's quite literally, just 'more' of the same.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Back to the AF Spread...OVF is roughly the same as the mkii according to the white papers, but the live view is almost 100% coverage. I find it very uncomfortable to hold the camera off my face and in front of me to use the live view
This is a big reason I sold the 1dx2 and bought the R. The freedom that AF systems give for composition has completely transformed how I shoot for the better.

I wonder how the the AF-ON button focus point selection is implemented. I wouldn’t want to suddenly change my focus point position just because I wasn’t pressing directly down on the button. I’m sure it isn’t like that, but would be nice to have more info on that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
This is a big reason I sold the 1dx2 and bought the R. The freedom that AF systems give for composition has completely transformed how I shoot for the better.

I wonder how the the AF-ON button focus point selection is implemented. I wouldn’t want to suddenly change my focus point position just because I wasn’t pressing directly down on the button. I’m sure it isn’t like that, but would be nice to have more info on that.

The R and RP's autofocus are really something, and I'm hotly anticipating how AF will work in a pro-level (1DX) mirrorless. I think with DPAF and eye-AF, in a body where exceptional AF is a primary focus (get it?), we're on the verge of a true breakthrough. Eventually: algorithms that help determine, and then focus on, even non-person subjects? Yes, please.

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
"At the heart of the 1DX Mark III is a new Digic X chip, which Canon says will be the start of a new family of camera processors. These will apparently be tailored to each camera – you won't get the same Digic X in a Canon M series, for example – but they will all come under the umbrella name 'Digic X'.

It's tricky to say precisely how much of a leap this is from the current Digic 9, but compared to the dual processors in the 1DX Mark II, Canon says it can crunch computational data 380 times faster and process images three times quicker."

From: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/canon-1dx-mark-iii

:unsure:

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The R and RP's autofocus are really something, and I'm hotly anticipating how AF will work in a pro-level (1DX) mirrorless. I think with DPAF and eye-AF, in a body where exceptional AF is a primary focus (get it?), we're on the verge of a true breakthrough. Eventually: algorithms that help determine, and then focus on, even non-person subjects? Yes, please.
I detect a sarcastic notes here?? I hope you realise that DPAF and eye AF is a live view tech and not a primary operational mode for OVF centric machine?
I would expect an increased level of “stickiness” of AF tracking in AI Servo especially with busy backgrounds. Improved face detection mode and a snapper AF operation in general.

Upvote 0
Well there's a lot that I like the look of. A lot. Maybe out of my budget for the moment but I'd certainly give it some thought.

Whats more interesting to me is that in live view there's in fact an extremely good mirrorless setup in there. Now yes I am a M6 II fanboy but I do need something more along the lines of a 7D mkII for the abuse I put camera through .... so TBH the thought of the new Canon MILC tech in a proper MILC pro body is thought provoking. Gimme at least 10fps and two card slots to go as well.

EOS R Sport? Ill buy that

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
I detect a sarcastic notes here?? I hope you realise that DPAF and eye AF is a live view tech and not a primary operational mode for OVF centric machine?
I would expect an increased level of “stickiness” of AF tracking in AI Servo especially with busy backgrounds. Improved face detection mode and a snapper AF operation in general.

Not sarcasm, and I was communicating enthusiasm for the way AF tech could work in a future, pro-level mirrorless body, as I said in the post.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Not sarcasm, and I was communicating enthusiasm for the way AF tech could work in a future, pro-level mirrorless body, as I said in the post.
Absolutely agreed. I can shoot at 5 FPS and still have a much better hit rate with decisive moments with the R than I ever did at 14 FPS with the 1dx2. The only time the 1dx2 was better was with the most insane movements like someone tripping and falling flat on their face or tracking a bouncy ball shot out of a canon into an elevator. But, even with the kids on a swing up close the 1dx2 was terrible where the R is nearly flawless, at f1.2.

Upvote 0