Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

I think this means the specs for the high megapixel R and the R Mark II were not correct and that Canon is "stepping it up" with more features. That probably means we can expect to see things like IBIS, dual card slots and some of the video features from the 1DX III, like uncropped 4k 60p. Probably a better FPS than what was posted here too. Would be awesome if they are both released first half of this year too.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
People have been making great photos without IBIS for more than 130 years. I have been making great photos without IBIS for more than 50 years. I take that to be proof that it is not necessary, though I recognize that it could be useful for some people—and gratifying for those who fall for every new gimmick that comes along.

IBIS is not a gimmick. Neither is AF for that matter, which is almost a necessity for photography today. I am sure that there were individuals screaming "what is that AF atrocity that you speak of?" back in the day when all anyone knew was manual focus.

It's called "an advancement for photography". What you have isn't proof, rather it's simply your "opinion". Nothing more and nothing less. And concerning IBIS, it would seem that your opinion on the matter is in the vast minority.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Walk past his house and he'll scream, "GET OFF MY LAWN!" ;) He's probably still stuck on film what with digital being such a gimmick and all.
Throwing stones? We all have a bit of curmudgeon in us, well, us old codgers I mean. And you CFB, are you telling me you don't have a film background? It's never too late!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Throwing stones? We all have a bit of curmudgeon in us, well, us old codgers I mean. And you CFB, are you telling me you don't have a film background? It's never too late!
haha. My only film background only involves 110 film... enough to discourage anyone.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I disagree with that range. Many factors. Generation X....Billy Idol's band of the namesake started in 1977, Punk rock (started ~ 1976) All those kids and people were born late 50's early 60's. That is enough right there but Douglas Coupland coined the phrase in 1991 about young people born in the late 50's early 60's in his groundbreaking novel.

To many upstarts, artists, musicians and the like born from ~1960-1965 that in no way shape or form represent the Boomer Generation. I'm 1964 myself and was playing in punk rock, ska and goth bands from 1981 and on....if my teenagers say "Ok Boomer' to me, they get an earful.

Wikipedia, take it with a grain of smelling salts.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I disagree with that range. Many factors. Generation X....Billy Idol's band of the namesake started in 1977, Punk rock (started ~ 1976) All those kids and people were born late 50's early 60's. That is enough right there but Douglas Coupland coined the phrase in 1991 about young people born in the late 50's early 60's in his groundbreaking novel.

To many upstarts, artists, musicians and the like born from ~1960-1965 that in no way shape or form represent the Boomer Generation. I'm 1964 myself and was playing in punk rock, ska and goth bands from 1981 and on....if my teenagers say "Ok Boomer' to me, they get an earful.

Wikipedia, take it with a grain of smelling salts.
Dis agree all you like. I'll stick with the government specifics rather than Billy Idol. ;) You music choices have nothing to do with which era (boomer, x, y, z, millenial, etc) you belong to. I listen to classical and baroque. BTW: 1964.5 and on are not boomers. It all has to do with birth rates as far as boomers go. It ain't called the baby boom fer nuthin'. :)

"
"GENERATION X (1965-1980)
That comment in The Observer was in reference to a then-recently published book called Generation X by Jane Deverson and Charles Hamblett. A few years later, Joan Broad bought a copy at a garage sale, her son found it, and he fell in love with the name.

That son was Billy Idol, and according to his memoir, Dancing with Myself, “We immediately thought it could be a great name for this new band, since we both felt part of a youth movement bereft of a future, that we were completely misunderstood by and detached from the present social and cultural spectrum. We also felt the name projected the many possibilities that came with presenting our generation’s feelings and thoughts.” The band Generation X would begin Billy Idol’s career.

But the name Generation X wouldn’t become associated with a wide group of people until 1991. That's the year Douglas Coupland’s Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture was released. The book became a sensation for its ability to capture early '90s culture and, although it didn’t coin the words, helped popularize a range of terms as diverse as McJob and pamphleting—and a name for an entire generation."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Dis agree all you like. I'll stick with the government specifics rather than Billy Idol. ;) You music choices have nothing to do with which era (boomer, x, y, z, millenial, etc) you belong to. I listen to classical and baroque. BTW: 1964.5 and on are not boomers. It all has to do with birth rates as far as boomers go. It ain't called the baby boom fer nuthin'. :)

"
"GENERATION X (1965-1980)
That comment in The Observer was in reference to a then-recently published book called Generation X by Jane Deverson and Charles Hamblett. A few years later, Joan Broad bought a copy at a garage sale, her son found it, and he fell in love with the name.

That son was Billy Idol, and according to his memoir, Dancing with Myself, “We immediately thought it could be a great name for this new band, since we both felt part of a youth movement bereft of a future, that we were completely misunderstood by and detached from the present social and cultural spectrum. We also felt the name projected the many possibilities that came with presenting our generation’s feelings and thoughts.” The band Generation X would begin Billy Idol’s career.

But the name Generation X wouldn’t become associated with a wide group of people until 1991. That's the year Douglas Coupland’s Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture was released. The book became a sensation for its ability to capture early '90s culture and, although it didn’t coin the words, helped popularize a range of terms as diverse as McJob and pamphleting—and a name for an entire generation."
Yes however the cut down 'Ok Boomer' has EVERYTHING to do with attitude and not birth date. Cheers!

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
People have been making great photos without IBIS for more than 130 years. I have been making great photos without IBIS for more than 50 years. I take that to be proof that it is not necessary, though I recognize that it could be useful for some people—and gratifying for those who fall for every new gimmick that comes along.

In photography, you are absolutely correct. However, in video IBIS is very useful and welcome.
Today, on mirrorless bodies the usage is a lot for photo AND video. Not only photo.

Upvote 0