Canon EOS R6 specifications [CR3]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Apparently (so far), resolution and bonkers video features are it. I'm guessing that R5 has different ergonomics/grip/controls as well.

But, as unfocused said, we don't know nearly as much about the R6. One added bullet point from CR Guy on the R6 about:
  • It's a permanently gripped body, or
  • It has special low light features, or
  • It doesn't have a viewfinder like an M6, or
  • It's tiny AF, like an EOS M (1) or SL2
Could dramatically change our take on its role in the platform.

- A
Add another data point to your list of unknowns that would give us a clear signal:
  • It has the "sticky" subject tracking and/or AI facial recognition database that the 1Dx III has.
Lots of wishful thinking on my part and the "6" naming scheme may hold.

It is probably too soon for an action oriented R body, but it is fun to think about.

I'd envision a body with the 1Dx III sensor, "sticky" tracking of subjects like the 1Dx III, AI facial recognition but with a smaller database, no integrated grip, dual SD II cards, slightly smaller buffer, faster and more accurate AF Servo (This is important because, when you use the R and select autofocus points with your thumb on the touchscreen you don't have a second thumb to also activate back button autofocus. Either the servo needs to respond almost instantly for action shots or you need a combination thumb pad like on the 1Dx III).

Slower frame rate, slower memory cards, smaller buffer, lack of integrated grip would provide the needed differentiation from the 1Dx III and would be very similar to the differentiation that existed between the 1Dx and the 7DII (aside from the smaller sensor).

The superzoom lens does make me think they will be coming out with an action oriented body.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Canon has a long history of using sensors over and over, and the sensor itself is frankly the least important major component of the 1DX line in my opinion. It's actually really the same sensor as the DX2 with an upgraded AA filter on it. Canon calls it "new" but it's otherwise the same size, readout, ADC etc... far as I can tell. The extra $3-4k to step up to the 1DX series is about way more than just a sensor.

If the sensor in the Mk III is the same as in the Mk II, that would basically negate any potential noise advantage at higher ISO. But people are talking about it having about a stop better noise handling (which is, of course, just talk until actual pictures show up for comparison).

I do agree though, Canon has a habit of re-using the same sensor in many cameras. How many bodies had that 18 mpx crop sensor over a couple of year period.

Perhaps this new R6 is getting the old Mk II sensor - after all, it is fairly modern, and has good characteristics. Certainly more DR than the 6D/6DII sensors, comparable to the 5DIV or so.

Time will tell - we'll see what Canon has up its sleeve soon enough.

Upvote 0
I find it strange that it is not clear to everyone that the jokesters who spoofed Craig into publishing the R5 “rumor” thought it would be even more hilarious if they were to see if they could get Craig to fall for another one the next day.

Now that DPR and PetaPixel have republish the rumors, the original authors must be laughing so hard they are peeing their pants.

Because the R5 specs were made up to make the prospect of Canon coming up with such a beast funny, it seems to have had another effect: a rumor like the R6 becomes less implausible.

Sure, I’d buy 2 if they were actually released, but then I’d also buy a rainbow burping unicorn if it cost less than a 1dx3.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Yeah but Craig has 4k120 in BOLD as CR3 ("treat it as fact") on the R5 with 48MP... So 4K60 would seem a given if that's correct.
Until actual pictures are shown from the subject itsef, a rumor is just a rumor.
It just seems to much of a revolutionary step for me, when the R only did 720p 120fps and the 1DXIII represents the cutting edge that they can offer at this point.

The 8K that got removed was probably some kind of timelapse movie mode, maybe this is also like that but with HDR to increase dynamic range like what's available in a few of their cameras (using the 1080p60p mode and merging two exposures, maybe now it could do the merge in 4k as well)
At least if the date is correct, it won't be too far off to find out.

Upvote 0
Are you a birder? Because I shoot birds and I do not want to use adaptors for my big white lenses. And I do not want to use EVF and lose the birds or kill the battery. I want my lenses on DSLRs!

Why do you not want to use adapters, when Canon ones work so well? I adapt my whites to a M6 II and been quite happy.

I"m not entirely sure "MILC's are battery killers" is entirely valid anymore, not when I've gotten 2300 shots over 3 hours with my M6 II.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Why do you not want to use adapters, when Canon ones work so well? I adapt my whites to a M6 II and been quite happy.

I"m not entirely sure "MILC's are battery killers" is entirely valid anymore, not when I've gotten 2300 shots over 3 hours with my M6 II.

Agree on both points. Canon's adapter is a mild physical annoyance, but immaterial to image quality. The batteries on mirrorless are getting to be quite good, or more properly, their energy usage is getting quite a bit better. I have extensive experience with the Panasonic S1R and the Sony A74 and A9, and those batteries leave nothing to be desired relative to a Canon 5D4.

It's the finder that is either adequate or not. The best newest ones are just about indistinguishable from real life. The S1R's finder made me forget it was a screen. Sony, oddly, has been lagging in installing the latest screen tech in its cameras, though. Odd because they're actually the manufacturer of the good ones.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

So say you. RP lacks IBIS and sure as hell can't pop 12 / 20 fps.

R5 feels like the 5D5.
R6 feels like the 6D3.

RP may have been an inexpensive platform bugzapper to draw folks in to the platform. Perhaps RP and the original R will die out now once the more familiar hierarchy I posted above gets released.

- A
Hope so. They will not be missed.

The huge MP could therefore be a R5 S.

Upvote 0
Wow, with the R5 and and R6, its like Christmas in Canon rumors land!

And not long to wait to see if any of this is true ;)

Assuming these cameras are real as rumored (Big IF - but just playing with the rumor), This R6 makes a lot of sense - take the body from the R5 and the sensor from the DX3 and maximize the returns on R+D.

My guess is that we will see the R5 priced at the similar level as the 5D4, D850, A7R4, Z7 etc - in other words the £3000 to £3500 range.

I would also guess that this R6, will be more mid tier, and priced around the A73, Z6 and current R price range (£2000 to £2500).

That would provide a nice little range with the RP continuing along at the £1000-£1200 'entry level' price point.

For me, the biggest questions are - will see a 5D5 based on the R5?

And if the R5 really is 45MP, is there really a need for another higher resolution body above? I would guess that the existance of the R5 means that we will not see a 'high resolution monster' body for a couple of years if at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
If the R6 is the cheaper one -- and it's not some sleeping video behemoth or gripped 1-series beast -- I think RP dies, I honestly do. It doesn't fit into an R-numbered FF portfolio.

Keeping it around and sequeling it over time would be like the Audi dealer selling you "Here's the A7, A6, A5, A4, A3... and the TT." It may exist, but it does not logically belong.

- A
It COULD still exist. Canon could use it as a way to finish selling off left over 'bits' at cost price after the higher tier models are upgraded. That way they could keep it as the very cheap entry level full frame model with basically no RnD costs and with only the need to recoup costs rather than make a big profit on the parts.

Upvote 0
Sounds interesting. But with the new RF mount and those big chunky RF lenses, the idea of the whole R series is a bit strange. Why make a mirrorless line where the lenses are 1.5 times bigger that the old EF system (and two times as expensive). Simply don't get that. If Canon does not come up with some good and small primes in the 28-50mm range, I can't see any use for the R line besides well paid portrait and studio photographers.

Upvote 0
50% bigger pixels compared to what? FF sensor size is given, right? So 45 mpx crammed into the same space as 30mpx of 5DIV can't provide bigger pixels. They could reduce the space between the pixels, improve surrounding electronics, etc., but that's just it.

1Ds3 sensor? That's some arcane stuff, no? I said 1DX III, not 1Ds 3 :)

My bad on the 1dx 1ds3 lol.

50% bigger pixels than the 5d4 because you'd be going from 30mp to 20mp on the same sized sensor. Bigger t pixels, bigger light wells, better data capture.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Add another data point to your list of unknowns that would give us a clear signal:
  • It has the "sticky" subject tracking and/or AI facial recognition database that the 1Dx III has.
Lots of wishful thinking on my part and the "6" naming scheme may hold.

It is probably too soon for an action oriented R body, but it is fun to think about.

I'd envision a body with the 1Dx III sensor, "sticky" tracking of subjects like the 1Dx III, AI facial recognition but with a smaller database, no integrated grip, dual SD II cards, slightly smaller buffer, faster and more accurate AF Servo (This is important because, when you use the R and select autofocus points with your thumb on the touchscreen you don't have a second thumb to also activate back button autofocus. Either the servo needs to respond almost instantly for action shots or you need a combination thumb pad like on the 1Dx III).

Slower frame rate, slower memory cards, smaller buffer, lack of integrated grip would provide the needed differentiation from the 1Dx III and would be very similar to the differentiation that existed between the 1Dx and the 7DII (aside from the smaller sensor).

The superzoom lens does make me think they will be coming out with an action oriented body.
Except the rumored video specs (given the codecs Canon has to this point favored) would suggest a faster card is needed. 4k@60 needs massive data rates and one reason the DX2 uses CFast2.0. Now we have CFExpress on the DX3. The R5 seems no doubt we are looking at the same card with a second slot for SD or CFast perhaps. Unless of course Canon will make those high frame rates external only... then we could/would see dual SD or something like that where the internal write speed is irrelevant

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Or the 1DX2 sensor. You know what they're like with reusing the old tech lower down the food chain.

It's still an awesome sensor though even if the 1DX3 has better DR.
Nah... they aren't gonna backtrack on something like the new AA filter. That is here to stay as that is now part of the fabrication process making THAT particular sized sensor now.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I'd buy the R6 in a heart beat @ 20mp since that implies it would smoke even the R1 in low light. Could be canon's best low light camera yet.

low light performance should be the same as DX3 which appears to be about 1 stop Better than previous version according to the early pre-prod reviews

Upvote 0

AndyN

EOS R, A7SIII
Jan 29, 2020
Sounds interesting. But with the new RF mount and those big chunky RF lenses, the idea of the whole R series is a bit strange. Why make a mirrorless line where the lenses are 1.5 times bigger that the old EF system (and two times as expensive). Simply don't get that. If Canon does not come up with some good and small primes in the 28-50mm range, I can't see any use for the R line besides well paid portrait and studio photographers.

Fairly sure they will as the RF 35mm f/1.8 is a great offering at it's price range with both IS and Macro capabilities. With this new entry level release there will most likely be a wave of more "affordable" RF macros and zooms to back it up.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
My guess is that we will see the R5 priced at the similar level as the 5D4, D850, A7R4, Z7 etc - in other words the £3000 to £3500 range.

I would also guess that this R6, will be more mid tier, and priced around the A73, Z6 and current R price range (£2000 to £2500)

For me, the biggest questions are - will see a 5D5 based on the R5?

And if the R5 really is 45MP, is there really a need for another higher resolution body above? I would guess that the existance of the R5 means that we will not see a 'high resolution monster' body for a couple of years if at all.

BANK on the following:

R5 is a 5D replacement body and will be priced accordingly.
5D5 will happen and will be basically an EF mount R5 DSLR (this is Canons biggest market and they aren't cutting them off from EF yet)
R6 pricing depends entirely on what it's being built for, damn the a7SII. The a7sIII will be up in the $3k range and so will Canon's video model
The 83MP sensor R model WILL happen and will happen this year.
Canon is in full on "WHATS UP YA'LL?!?!" mode this year it seems.

Upvote 0