Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Why do you not choose to associate this with the 6D since full frame to full frame is apples to apples and Rebel to FF is a very far cry with the XXD line a much more tangible step closer if any crop is.
I know the 6D series sometimes gets called the full frame Rebel series, but by any reasonable assessment the 6D series cameras are actually quite high end cameras, and a substantial step up from a Rebel class camera. For instance, 6D had a largely magnesium alloy body and 6D II still has a good quality body (aluminium alloy impregnated with glass fibire I believe I read), a body jsut a bit smaller and lgiher than the 5D series, pretty good ergonomics (yeah, the lack of joystick is not great!), a top plate for camera information and a level of weather sealing, etc.

So, assuming the R6 will have similar sorts of differences from the R5 that the 6D series has had from the 5D series, presumably the R6 will have things like slower X-sync, longer minimum shutter time, and slower FPS (at least with tracking - I know rumour has the top line FPS being the same), one card slot and perhaps even an inferior EVF(?). The rumours peg the R6 at "just" 20 MP, and the latest information from CR Guy suggests the R6 will also have a plastic body (or am I reading too much into the statement that it won't be magnesium alloy?), will go without a top plate showing camera info and may be so small it works with the same add on grip the RP uses. To me, that sounds like a camera which sits below the 6D level, rather than at the 6D level. Also, it seems to leave a very large gap between the R6 and R5.

Perhaps I'm looking at it too much from my own perspective, but as a 6D and now 6D II owner, the thought of a camera with no top plate display, a small and plastic body, and 20 MP, doesn't sound exciting, even if it has some other features such as IBIS. And assuming the R5 has a 5D series price (if not more), I don't see myself buying it, and the existing R will be looking a bit "old" without IBIS and perhaps inferior sensor and EVF tech. A camera sitting in that gap between the R5 and R6 is probably what I'd be looking for if I was buying an R system camera, and about what I would expect for a 6D series price. (That said, whatever the specs of the R6, I could end up being surprised. When I read the specs for the 6D I thought I'd never be interested in one, and the same for the 24-70/4 IS and the 40 pancake ... and yet I bought and enjoyed all of them :) )

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Perhaps I'm looking at it too much from my own perspective, but as a 6D and now 6D II owner, the thought of a camera with no top plate display, a small and plastic body, and 20 MP, doesn't sound exciting, even if it has some other features such as IBIS.
The lack of a top plate struck me too - and may be about cost and size. I wonder, though, whether there could be an intention that people simply use the different display options in the EVF for a lot of what they used to use the top plate for? I find myself doing more and more with the EOS R, and a new generation EVF (which I assume this will be) is likely to be even better. I admit though that the lack of a top plate display would likely stop me buying one.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Slightly different scenario really as IBIS(especially with what Canon is touting) can actually make a substantial difference in some(often limited to static subjects) cases whereas one stop of DR cannot. But it certainly should not be a be all and end all function

1 stop of DR within a certain range of exposure triangle means you can, for example, underexpose, shoot faster and then increase the exposure in post. That'll compensate the lack of IBIS and even with the IBIS, it gives you more freedom with moving subjects. +1 stop means 2 times faster shutter speed, in certain cases it's a difference between a keeper and a throwaway.

In landscape photography, +1 stop of DR means cleaner shadows and more room for postprocessing. But depending on your style and genre of photography. +1 stop may mean very little to you.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
No. Anyone shooting a scene with more DR than a canon camera can capture should be bracketing or using filters to reduce the DR at capture or they will be pushing the shadows so much that it will produce a crap image regardless of brand. One stop of DR performance is such a negligible benefit as to be irrelevant. So while canon may(tbh already has)catch up to Sony it won't make anyones images better
Noooo. 1 stop DR improvement will be great!!!!

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
1 stop of DR within a certain range of exposure triangle means you can, for example, underexpose, shoot faster and then increase the exposure in post. That'll compensate the lack of IBIS and even with the IBIS, it gives you more freedom with moving subjects. +1 stop means 2 times faster shutter speed, in certain cases it's a difference between a keeper and a throwaway.

In landscape photography, +1 stop of DR means cleaner shadows and more room for postprocessing. But depending on your style and genre of photography. +1 stop may mean very little to you.
Yes. It means all of those things but it is ONE stop. I can not see any situation where it would be the difference between a keeper and a throw away. It is the difference between a keeper and a slightly grainier keeper. Or the difference between a throw away and a slightly less grainy throw away. it is not the be all and end all that so many try to claim it is. If an image is so dependant on that small a difference in grain then it isn't the strongest image is it?. IBIS however can give several stops of improvement(canon now claiming up to 8!!!!!!!!) which can be the difference between a throw away and a keeper. Although it also means in most cases sacrificing a sharp subject if there is any movement whatsoever. So for static subjects and video(neither of which a relevant to me) IBIS is a pretty big thing. The difference between my 7d2 and a 5d4 in DR(3 stops or more?) is a pretty big thing. But the difference between a 5d4 and aA7r4 is not a big thing. The biggest thing about it is a false sense of confidence it may give a photographer. Now. If that confidence makes one get out and shoot more often then fine. It may mean more photos taken which by default will mean more better photos but on a photo for photo basis it won't objectively improve images any significant amount.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
The lack of a top plate struck me too - and may be about cost and size. I wonder, though, whether there could be an intention that people simply use the different display options in the EVF for a lot of what they used to use the top plate for? I find myself doing more and more with the EOS R, and a new generation EVF (which I assume this will be) is likely to be even better. I admit though that the lack of a top plate display would likely stop me buying one.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe canon are thinking that as the EVF can display as much info as one would need then the rear display is more than sufficient if you want to check your settings while your eye is removed from the viewfinder. It would be a good way to keep the price down while retaining other features.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe canon are thinking that as the EVF can display as much info as one would need then the rear display is more than sufficient if you want to check your settings while your eye is removed from the viewfinder. It would be a good way to keep the price down while retaining other features.
If it is video focused, a large camera sized display (like a recent patent) might make sense, especially if also articulated.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That was the very point of the recent DR wars :) photonstophotos do normalisation, so the resolution in their graphs already contributed to the DR value.
Noise reduction doesn't equate anything as you can apply the same NR to the D7200 files and 'improve' the DR of competitor.

But if you need 32Mp resolution, yes, the graphs from Photostophotos become irrelevant. Interestingly, I was criticised for a point similar to yours in this thread when I tried compare the noises at native resolutions.
Here we go again.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Wonderful! LOVE those early Masi's. My current ride is a Ritchey Logic and I have a long history with steel framesets, notably some amazing 80s- 90s Pinarellos. I had a Paramount from 1987 as well. It was a bit steep of geometry for me after being on those slack PIns. (going crazy riding indoors right now with a couple feet of snow on the ground) Cheers!
Please tell me you guys don't shave your legs. ;) Litespeed Ti. Not me. I got it for my daughter when she raced.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Are the R5 and R6 names confirmed? From what you have described, I could see the R6 being a MILC Rebel (albeit with some pretty good specs), either replacing the RP or being a bit larger with RP line continuing separately along he lines of the 100D series. The R5 seems to be 5D level camera. The problem with all that though is you would expect the R6 to have a higher number, as you’d expect at least one model, perhaps more, between it and the R5 in due course.
Seriously doubt that R6 is an RP replacement (i.e. introductory R camera). A low priced R camera would definitely not have IBIS, that is too expensive a component for that price range. I think it is more likely the high ISO champion of the intermediate range of the R line.

Upvote 0
I think it is more likely the high ISO champion of the intermediate range of the R line.

Assuming they reuse the sensor from 1DXIII and that sensor is a high ISO champion, then yes.
Otherwise Canon won't be developing a high ISO goodness specially for this lower end camera.

Upvote 0