Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
I think the top LCD plate will soon be a thing of the past on all but the high end full pro cameras as it isn’t as necessary given it being so easy to view and adjust settings on the back screen of Canon cameras those days.
[..]
Or in the EVF while shooting. On that subject, I hope Canon finally figured out how to add a smaller electronic level widget, not the subject obscuring monstrosity it has now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

trulandphoto

Upstate NY photographer and retired atorney
CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
trulandphotography.com
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I’m really liking the sound of the R6 with its low mega pixel count which presumably means higher ISO and more FPS. IBIS must come to all decent cameras sooner or later as Sony has now set the precedence.

I think the top LCD plate will soon be a thing of the past on all but the high end full pro cameras as it isn’t as necessary given it being so easy to view and adjust settings on the back screen of Canon cameras those days.

What I do hope Canon carry forward from the R is the housing protecting the senor when changing lenses, I think this is a great idea.

I hope the camera is light in the hand, somewhere between the weight of the R and RP would be welcome.

As I web shooter, I’m looking forward to a high spec but low mega pixel camera with all the benefit that come with a low pixel count and I like the sound of the rounder body too.

Exciting times ahead for us dedicated Canon shooters.

++++ I’m really liking the sound of the R6 with its low mega pixel count which presumably means higher ISO and more FPS. IBIS must come to all decent cameras sooner or later as Sony has now set the precedence.

A.M.: a higher fps in R6 is out of scope :) lower res, lower fps, single card slot, a non-magnesium body, etc comparing to R5 are just a product line differentiators. the R6 RRP will reflect upon these limitations.

Upvote 0

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu
I really want to see if there has been any significant improvement in EVF performance. It is the one thing now that really makes me hesitant about mirrorless. Looking forward to having a look through one when I get the chance
+
Same here. I just checked the EVF of the R. In still a situation it has reached the level of OK for me (which is a big thing). But when moving the camera...meh...nah...bad. Lacking CPU? Lacking EVF refresh rate? Both? I don't know but it's not OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dj 7th

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 22, 2019
I wanted to get the video, that's why I posted it.

Also, I've been doing this for 12 years, I don't need to play games for traffic. I'm content where things are. I had no other way to contact the source. I have now seen the EOS R6 and IBIS in action. It's glorious.

Thank you very much for sharing this information, it sure is enough for me. I currently have two EOS Rs and six RF lenses and all I am waiting for is the next RF camera. I shoot stills and do not care much about video for now and the R5 is looking really promising, looks like most of what I need is being addressed. I just need to pay off some debt.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
No. Anyone shooting a scene with more DR than a canon camera can capture should be bracketing or using filters to reduce the DR at capture or they will be pushing the shadows so much that it will produce a crap image regardless of brand. One stop of DR performance is such a negligible benefit as to be irrelevant. So while canon may(tbh already has)catch up to Sony it won't make anyones images better
So how do you use filter or bracketing on fast moving subjects??

What's wrong with wanting more DR?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
How can you discuss that you saw a video and describe its contents, but you can't actually post it??? At that point, the cat is out of the bag and it makes no sense to not post... Post the video!!!
Because the content of the video could enable Canon to identify the source?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I am really not sure, what is coming with R6. Name suggests continuation of 6D line. But really? Going down from 26 to 20 mpx? Who would want that? Plastic body? No nice top OLED LCD? Does not seem to be a video centric monster (A7S competition) either?

OK, just for an amusement, I will continue with my typical Canon rant - Canon is yet again going to release a camera, noone has asked for :)
And yet many of those noones will buy it.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
How can you discuss that you saw a video and describe its contents, but you can't actually post it??? At that point, the cat is out of the bag and it makes no sense to not post... Post the video!!!
There could be identifying information in the video. Or other reasons. I trust Craig knows how to manage source ID and confidentiality. We don't want sources to clam up.

Upvote 0
"Canon is yet again going to release a camera, noone has asked for"

Who decides that?

If the rumoured R5 has IBIS, 45MP and 1080/60, it is very much a camera I asked for. All the other rumoured specs are mere folderal AFAIAC. Now I need to know the price. Will I keep my R? Dunn'o. Likely it won't be worth enough on the used market to bother selling, so I probably will keep it.

Upvote 0
I am really not sure, what is coming with R6. Name suggests continuation of 6D line. But really? Going down from 26 to 20 mpx? Who would want that? Plastic body? No nice top OLED LCD? Does not seem to be a video centric monster (A7S competition) either?

OK, just for an amusement, I will continue with my typical Canon rant - Canon is yet again going to release a camera, noone has asked for :)
Canon cripple hammer?

• Sad
Upvote 0
OK, so same grip as the RP means it's the same basic form factor as the RP. Obviously the R6 will basically be an RP with IBIS and 6 fewer MP. I can look forward to that as part of a stable of R series bodies.

yes. Basically an RP with IBIS and 6 less megapixels that’s probably going to cost about $1500 more than the RP. Great market strategy. Only way this thing sells is if it’s priced around $1k, which it won’t be.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I admit this probably won't be the camera for me. That doesn't mean it won't sell well, just not what I was hoping for.

I was hoping it would be an R companion to the 1DX III -- slightly slower frame rate, two SDII slots, better autofocus and a few other comprises that would keep the price and positioning down but be a low light monster that would still be useful as a second body at times. Unfortunately, for me at least, this looks more like the 6D companion most people have predicted.

My latest guess about positioning:

RP stays in the lineup, but may drop in price.
R stays in the lineup, but may drop in price.
R6 is priced about where the R started, but possibly slightly lower.
R5 could be anywhere from $2,500 - $4,000, depending on final specs.

R5 and 5D V share the same sensor and have comparable specs. Not sure which one will be priced lower, or if they will essentially be the same price.

Regardless, it is going to be fun to see what Canon has in store for us and then read all the whining on Canon Rumors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0