Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

Ooof. Looks miniscule.
No smaller than the EOS R was to the 5DIV. It looks to be identical in height and width as the EOS R. MAYBE it's a little deeper for the dual CFAST cards, as we don't have the depth dimension.

Yes, I'm calling it now. It's going to have dual CF *Express* cards. There's no way UHS-II cards can keep up with 4K120/8K30.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ooof. Looks miniscule.

Looks like EOS R form-factor-wise, yes.

If true, if it's not a fake, etc. this is a page out of the A7 playbook and it's a bad one. Recycling body parts from gen to gen makes sense only if you've nailed the form factor (like 5DS leveraging 5D3, 5D4 leveraging 5DS, etc.). I would argue that Canon still needs to feel that out throughout their FF mirrorless portfolio.

The current EOS R grip is decent, I guess -- and critically it's further from the lens mount than A7 -- but it still needs to be chunkier IMHO. Canon didn't land at the 5D3 grip design 8 years ago by accident. Lenses are heavy, and that was the most comfortable non-gripped-body way to hold them. With R5, people are going to bolt heavy things on the body, so keeping the body so small is rather out of place with this price point and segment of shooters.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
For body design, to me it's all about the prospect of a chunkier grip + 5D-like feature set (most notably a thumbwheel) while retaining the tilty-flippy.

Do you really care (for this class of camera) if the body gets an 20-25mm wider for all those controls? I argue you shouldn't care about a compact body getting a little bigger if it is going to take up a ton of bag space due to lens choice anyway:

Compact FF bodies are nice, and Canon should still offer them. But at this price point, for these users, please give me back my damn 5D creature comforts and chunky grip.

- A
You’re not wrong, but I love the grip on the R. It feels great in my hand and very balanced. Of course, I’m coming from a 6D not a 5D, so not exactly the same as your experience. But, I still love the feel.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Looks like EOS R form-factor-wise, yes.

If true, if it's not a fake, etc. this is a page out of the A7 playbook and it's a bad one. Recycling body parts from gen to gen makes sense only if you've nailed the form factor (like 5DS leveraging 5D3, 5D4 leveraging 5DS, etc.). I would argue that Canon still needs to feel that out throughout their FF mirrorless portfolio.

The current EOS R grip is decent, I guess -- and critically it's further from the lens mount than A7 -- but it still needs to be chunkier IMHO. Canon didn't land at the 5D3 grip design 8 years ago by accident. Lenses are heavy, and that was the most comfortable non-gripped-body way to hold them. With R5, people are going to bolt heavy things on the body, so keeping the body so small is rather out of place with this price point and segment of shooters.

- A

Completely true. Still, there's a chance the camera could be deeper and the hand grip is a little deeper than the original EOS R. This will definitely help with the chunk.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
For anybody who thinks the R5 spec looks too much like a wish list, don't worry - the rumour has spread so far and wide now that Canon wouldn't dare release anything less. In fact I've had a vision of Canon execs shovelling thousands of mirrorless bodies into the crusher, and one of them was saying "これらを誰にも見せることはできません。 良いバージョンを本番環境に導入するのにどれくらい時間がかかりますか?"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You’re not wrong, but I love the grip on the R. It feels great in my hand and very balanced. Of course, I’m coming from a 6D not a 5D, so not exactly the same as your experience. But, I still love the feel.
Same here, and I came from the 5D Mark III.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I don't really get all the griping over the size of Canon's RF bodies. Yes they're smaller than a DSLR, but they're still significantly larger than Sony.

What exactly are you expecting? A body that's just the same size as a 5D? There would be a ton of wasted space inside. A body that's as tall and wide as a 5D, but thinner to account for the loss of the mirror box? Those would be pretty weird dimensions.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

The EOS R grip is good. I had a loaner from CPS and it was fine the RF 50L. But then I picked up my 5D3 again and it was just clearly better in my (fairly ordinary/average sized US) hands.

I've argued that grip is a win for FF mirrorless as well:
  • You're going to bolt heavy glass on it
  • Larger grip = larger battery
  • Consistent controls with the SLR equivalent the pro may have on their other shoulder at the wedding/event (in this case, a 5D4 and an R5)
I just think it's more familiar, uses the same handling and control 'design language', etc. And the 'FF mirrorless is all about being small' argument does not appear to be where Canon is making its investments right now.

And -- and I could be wrong here -- I think a pro feature-set rig like the R5 with 5-series ergo/controls would have a large swath of holdout EF users not wanting to migrate to RF and a large swath of Sony professional stuck with the A7 tiny setup saying 'thank god someone finally did this'.

- A

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
No it isn't. It's an old photo from the EOS R / R mount announcement, cropped to remove the badge, with your reheated leaks written in hyperbole. Which you in turn are now posting here, for clicks. This is annoying - this release clearly has you rattled, you're normally not this jumpy with crap like this. It's not an official post, nor an official blog. It's another rumor site, like yours.
Your handle is certainly fitting.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
If only Canon thought of a solution for that. One that worked perfectly, had less expensive native lenses, gave access to dozens of great lenses that didn't have third party AF problems...

Cheaper RF lenses will come -- but until then, EF is your oyster.

- A

I’ve never had a problem with Sigma AF. Their newer lenses are stellar for the prices they charge. I also said native, as in not needing an adapter.

Upvote 0