Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

Um, so you can preview the DOF?? Bear in mind, at least as far as I remember, the EOS R has never shown DOF in real time, unless you assign a button to do that, just like a DSLR.

Also, that button was programmable to many different things on the 5D MkIV.

The EVF already does a simulation. You don't need a button. In fact, you have to manually disable the simulation if you don't want it (such as when using strobes). I know, I have two of these cameras.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
If it's a fake, it's a very good one. The darker photograph shows details of the top panel. All the buttons and dials match the R, EXCEPT the seam between the hump and the top panel. This seam is in a different spot, and at a different angle. Also, the hump itself has a slightly different shape. That sells it for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Have you never heard of exposure simulation? It's on by default. Adjusting your aperture adjusts the simulation.

The exposure simulation and focusing off the sensor is done wide-open. You'll notice when you shoot an image on the EOS R that when it shows you the captured image preview suddenly there's the full DOF, but the regular EVF view does not. The simulation is exactly that, a simulation, it's using ISO control to simulate the expected image, it's not live showing you your depth of field until you set that setting or use a control to stop down the lens.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
The EVF already does a simulation. You don't need a button. In fact, you have to manually disable the simulation if you don't want it (such as when using strobes). I know, I have two of these cameras.
Not wise to say “I know, I have two of these” when you’re wrong. The R focuses wide open, unlike Sony for example, which means you don’t see actual DOF unless assigning and pushing a button to show it.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
The exposure simulation and focusing off the sensor is done wide-open. You'll notice when you shoot an image on the EOS R that when it shows you the captured image preview suddenly there's the full DOF, but the preview does not. The simulation is exactly that, a simulation, it's using ISO control to simulate the expected image, it's not live showing you your depth of field until you set that setting or use a control to stop down the lens.

I maintain that the ES does pretty much everything the DOF field would provide in benefit. Having it as an extra programmable button is fine, but a dedicated DOF button with an EVF/ES is a complete waste. And yes, that's my opinion. You may have yours.

• Haha
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I maintain that the ES does pretty much everything the DOF field would provide in benefit. Having it as an extra programmable button is fine, but a dedicated DOF button with an EVF/ES is a complete waste. And yes, that's my opinion. You may have yours.

Even in a world with focus peaking? Seems like getting peaking for the stopped down preview would be super helpful

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
... A body that's as tall and wide as a 5D, but thinner to account for the loss of the mirror box? Those would be pretty weird dimensions.
That would be quite similar to the old mid-range film SLRs like my EOS 10. I'd be very happy to go back to those dimensions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What time is this announcement supposed to be tonight?

5 after never, I'm afraid. I'm calling shenanigans.

Canon hasn't been great about certain design rules, like mixing serifed and non-serifed fonts. The Canon logo itself is serifed, and the R on the R body was serifed as well. But even with all that confusion on Canon bodies, I've never seen them use two non-serifed fonts together, in an attempt to make them look the same. That's just someone goofing with photoshop, not wanting to have to bother to buy a new font.

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 1.15.16 PM.png

If Canon's designers stuck that "R5" on the body just like that, than I wouldn't have hopes that other designers didn't forget to put a battery door on the bottom or something equally dumb. This is very unlikely.

If you waste 10 minutes trying to procrastinate from work, as I did, and download the picture and blow it up, you'll see that you can identify where the seams of the layers are where elements were pasted on. Here is a rough line of a color deviance where they added in the bottom right sealed plug and didn't bother taking the green cast from the part they pasted. You can see that also lines up with a pattern deviance in the fake leather along the same seam. The color cast is less apparent in the re-saved JPG below versus my original blow up, but still visible.

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 1.14.21 PM.png

You could argue that Canon was being lazy and they designed an example photo rather than photographed an actual example, but then you'd expect the camera itself to be powered inside by a cockroach on a flywheel.

Still, won't prevent me from buying 2 if it turns out to be real. Crow tastes good at 20 fps.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I would bet in the same RAW format used in the 1DX III for 5.5K 60p video. Why would they not offer a compressed version of that on the 1DX III if they had a chip capable of encoding 8K 30p?

8K is twice the pixels of 5.5K. I’m fairly sure there doesn’t exist a memory card technology that could handle
[QUOTE="Stanri010, post: 816468, member: 382570"

Yes, I'm calling it now. It's going to have dual CFAST cards. There's no way UHS-II cards can keep up with 4K120/8K30.
[/QUOTE]

CFast is all but dead, maybe you mean CFExpress? I doubt it has two CFExpress slots, though. Maybe CF+CFExpress or SD+CFExpress.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
8K is twice the pixels of 5.5K. I’m fairly sure there doesn’t exist a memory card technology that could handle

Yes, I'm calling it now. It's going to have dual CFAST cards. There's no way UHS-II cards can keep up with 4K120/8K30.

CFast is all but dead, maybe you mean CFExpress? I doubt it has two CFExpress slots, though. Maybe CF+CFExpress or SD+CFExpress.
[/QUOTE]

Even if UHS-II can't keep up, they could just set up the camera similar to Cinema cameras that have CFast and SD, where in order to use the highest output video you can only record it to the faster card. I really hope that they go the route of 1 CF Express and 1 UHS-II SD.

Upvote 0

Man, I got corrected on two typos in a day.

Yes, CFExpress. CFExpress has always been (incorrectly) "CFAST Express" In my mind and I just mixed myself up.

The 1DX III has dual CFExpress card slots and more likely than not, they're just carrying the entire assembly over to the EOS R5 to save on cost.

Upvote 0