Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
5 after never, I'm afraid. I'm calling shenanigans.

Canon hasn't been great about certain design rules, like mixing serifed and non-serifed fonts. The Canon logo itself is serifed, and the R on the R body was serifed as well. But even with all that confusion on Canon bodies, I've never seen them use two non-serifed fonts together, in an attempt to make them look the same. That's just someone goofing with photoshop, not wanting to have to bother to buy a new font.

View attachment 188639

If Canon's designers stuck that "R5" on the body just like that, than I wouldn't have hopes that other designers didn't forget to put a battery door on the bottom or something equally dumb. This is very unlikely.

If you waste 10 minutes trying to procrastinate from work, as I did, and download the picture and blow it up, you'll see that you can identify where the seams of the layers are where elements were pasted on. Here is a rough line of a color deviance where they added in the bottom right sealed plug and didn't bother taking the green cast from the part they pasted. You can see that also lines up with a pattern deviance in the fake leather along the same seam. The color cast is less apparent in the re-saved JPG below versus my original blow up, but still visible.

View attachment 188640

You could argue that Canon was being lazy and they designed an example photo rather than photographed an actual example, but then you'd expect the camera itself to be powered inside by a cockroach on a flywheel.

Still, won't prevent me from buying 2 if it turns out to be real. Crow tastes good at 20 fps.

Behold, my new favorite post on all of CR!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
I don’t think there was ever much reason to believe that Canon would eventually make a 5D-sized mirrorless. They recognize that many potential mirrorless customers, pro or not, consider compact size an advantage rather than a disadvantage.

I don't agree. You can't argue with the ergonomics of the 5D vs. the R or RP (much less the a7 and a9 series), and customers aren't a monolith - while some will want compact mirrorless, others will notice diminishing returns when their hands cramp up 2 hours into a 6 hour job.

I remain hopeful that Canon will release a good sized, chunky grip 1-series mirrorless in the next 2 years.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
Yes, I know what DOF stands for you condescending jerk. The entire point of my comment is that the DOF button's primary benefit was to allow you to judge if you had enough light to properly capture an image IN MY OPINION.

Your opinion is wrong.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Why would they put a DOF button on a mirrorless camera? I'm not convinced this is an actual photo.

Those buttons (on the recent DSLR models) can be reprogrammed for a lot of different things. It's nice to have a button on the front that a finger not already occupied can use.

• Love
Upvote 0
Those buttons (on the recent DSLR models) can be reprogrammed for a lot of different things. It's nice to have a button on the front that a finger not already occupied can use.

I'm all for more freely programmable buttons. I just personally find a dedicated DOF button to be useless for my personal needs.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Name calling? The new guys doing so haven't had the experience of enjoying this site for being for the most part, a civil and mature (no to mention fun) place. Very different than most forums we all know all too well. Please, take a moment prior to responding if your blood is boiling and think about what you are sharing. I see the links for some of your businesses and I read your posts, wondering if your clients would appreciate your childlike behavior.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I don't agree. You can't argue with the ergonomics of the 5D vs. the R or RP (much less the a7 and a9 series), and customers aren't a monolith - while some will want compact mirrorless, others will notice diminishing returns when their hands cramp up 2 hours into a 6 hour job.

I remain hopeful that Canon will release a good sized, chunky grip 1-series mirrorless in the next 2 years.

I think the wildcard here is -- prior to EOS R's launch -- which one of the two statements you hold higher than the other as far as priority goes:
  • FF Mirrorless is all about being smaller
  • FF Mirrorless is all about doing more than your FF SLR
If you truly believe the former statement is the end-all raison d'être for what Canon needed to deliver in FF mirrorless, you could see how Sharlin's statement of "I don’t think there was ever much reason to believe that Canon would eventually make a 5D-sized mirrorless" makes sense. Through those optics, RF only needs to satisfy the keep it small crowd, so a big 5-series body is somewhat wasted on them.

But the RF lenses Canon is putting out just poops on Team Keep it Small thinking that they (categorically) won the day. They didn't.

Canon is playing to both fields right now -- a modestly sized body with enormous lenses. In time, FF mirrorless for Canon will more completely support both camps with appropriately sized bodies and lenses. Something like an RF EOS M or SL1 sized body will surely happen eventually, and something like a 5-series sized RF body will too.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
No word on stills resolution. A 1-1 8k image is around 33 megapixels, which would be a little underwhelming for is effectively the 5DmkIV successor

Previous specs said the R5 would be 45mp.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but if the article was based on Canon's development announcement, then it doesn't look like we will get any new information out of the development announcement.

True. But if Canon do announce the same specs, at least it will stop all the discussion about their veracity.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
For the people hung up on the fact that the body is still not as big as a 5D, and thinks that it should be... I ultimately think the size of Canon's mirrorless bodies is a carefully chosen compromise. The small size of Sony's bodies is a common gripe, and Canon wisely didn't go quite that small.

But at the same time, with a portable electronic such as a camera, there's no denying that it's more convenient to have a smaller device to carry around, even at a professional level. And let's face it, not everyone who buys this will be a dedicated professional. And even some who do will need to pack down as small and light as they reasonably can.

It would be foolish for Canon to come into the market with a mirrorless body that is dramatically larger than everyone else. With all of the talk around how mirrorless cameras allow for smaller form factors than their old DSLRs, if Canon stuck to a massive form factor, it would probably turn off a whole lot more people than it would endear.

Canon is trying to thread the needle... Not as small as Sony for the sake of ergonomics, but you can't really expect them to not miniaturize a camera at all when one of the technology's biggest advantages is the ability for the cameras to be smaller. You can see from that little grip they released for the EOS RP that they are trying to appeal to as broad a market as possible with the size of the cameras.

Expecting a mirrorless camera to come out that is just as chunky as a 5D when everyone else has miniaturized to one degree or another is just silly.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
What exactly are you expecting? A body that's just the same size as a 5D?
There would be a ton of wasted space inside.

Who cares about the inside? There is a limit in miniaturization at the
point where the size of my fingers and the body controls mismatch.

The 5D4 is perfect in ergonomics.

• Love
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
My point:

Compact bodies are desired by some. Canon should make compact FF bodies where appropriate. EOS R is lovely.​
Larger bodies have value as well. Canon should make some of those, too.​

But an A7 platform ethos one-size-fits-all for all non-gripped FF bodies is an opportunity lost in order to save a buck. $3500 bodies shouldn't be saddled with such a wretched business decision.

Those are good points and I'm definitely not certain about the matter. Thinking about it, the R5 is likely meant to compete in the pure mirrorless market instead of the "thinking about upgrading my 5D4" market -- to win back market share in the user segment that has already drunk the Kool-Aid. Canon is not likely in a big hurry trying to get existing, loyal DSLR users to switch to the darkexposure-simulated side. But once that day comes, well, I'm sure they'll listen to their customers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0