Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

Sep 17, 2014
If it's a fake, it's a very good one. The darker photograph shows details of the top panel. All the buttons and dials match the R, EXCEPT the seam between the hump and the top panel. This seam is in a different spot, and at a different angle. Also, the hump itself has a slightly different shape. That sells it for me.

Also there is only one mic hole on the front, compared to 2 on the R. Who would fake something like that?

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Ooof. Looks miniscule.

I don’t think there was ever much reason to believe that Canon would eventually make a 5D-sized mirrorless. They recognize that many potential mirrorless customers, pro or not, consider compact size an advantage rather than a disadvantage.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
... many potential customers, pro or not, consider compact size an advantage rather than a disadvantage.
Until you try to use it. One of the big problems with the R is that there isn't enough real estate on the back for the buttons. I know, I use it daily and it is far too easy to hit the wrong button. I'd be happy with a bigger body.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
5 after never, I'm afraid. I'm calling shenanigans.

Canon hasn't been great about certain design rules, like mixing serifed and non-serifed fonts. The Canon logo itself is serifed, and the R on the R body was serifed as well. But even with all that confusion on Canon bodies, I've never seen them use two non-serifed fonts together, in an attempt to make them look the same. That's just someone goofing with photoshop, not wanting to have to bother to buy a new font.

View attachment 188639

If Canon's designers stuck that "R5" on the body just like that, than I wouldn't have hopes that other designers didn't forget to put a battery door on the bottom or something equally dumb. This is very unlikely.

Never?! 5D/6D series didn't have serifed fonts on the badge..
1581534026845.png
Canon_EOS_6D_Mark_II_Review__8280184.jpg

..seeing how R5/R6 are touted as a 5D/6D mirrorless reboots..

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I don’t think there was ever much reason to believe that Canon would eventually make a 5D-sized mirrorless. They recognize that many potential customers, pro or not, consider compact size an advantage rather than a disadvantage.

So we need to wait for the R1 to balance the weight of the current L lenses?

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I maintain that the ES does pretty much everything the DOF field would provide in benefit.

It's called DOF PREVIEW. Not "exposure preview". Depth Of Field. Everybody knows that all Canon bodies since the EOS 20Da or something do exposure simulation without stopping down. But DoF preview was never about exposure preview. The fact that on SLRs it makes the OVF dimmer is just a side effect and is not really useful for predicting exposure.

On the other hand, DoF preview has never been very useful with DSLRs whose viewfinders do not make judging focus or depth of field easy. But guess where it is actually useful? You got it, in Live View mode where you can zoom in and use various focus assists to check the actual DoF as it will be in the final image. And at the same time exposure simulation can counteract the dimming of the viewfinder image caused by stopping down...

So if anything, a DoF button is more useful when you're in Live View or using a mirrorless body!

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I don’t think there was ever much reason to believe that Canon would eventually make a 5D-sized mirrorless.

I just threw up in my mouth a bit. :sick:

So the width, grip chunkiness and controls of the 5-series were, what exactly? A side product of having to have so much internal real estate to make an FF SLR function appropriately? That they kept one form factor for over 10 years just because they were stuck with it?

"Thank god we can get rid of our industry leading ergonomic setup now that the mirror is gone"
-- said by no one ever​

Perhaps -- and maybe I'm high on paint fumes or something -- perhaps the 5D form factor and controls didn't change much over that time because people loved it the way it was.

My point:

Compact bodies are desired by some. Canon should make compact FF bodies where appropriate. EOS R is lovely.​
Larger bodies have value as well. Canon should make some of those, too.​

But an A7 platform ethos one-size-fits-all for all non-gripped FF bodies is an opportunity lost in order to save a buck. $3500 bodies shouldn't be saddled with such a wretched business decision.

- A

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Can somebody tell me what use is that Depth of Field preview button in the R5 (or any EVIL camera)? Especially when R and RP don't have one.

Well... To check depth of field. I use it on my EOS M5, especially when on a tripod. The lens focuses wide open, so you see the image through the evf or back screen as such.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Until you try to use it. One of the big problems with the R is that there isn't enough real estate on the back for the buttons. I know, I used it daily and it is far too easy to hit the wrong button. I'd be happy with a bigger body.
Just another reason I didn't go to R from 5D3. I also had the M5 for travel and that was the issue for me. When I tested out the R I found that even though the body was somewhat larger than the M5 the issue remained. That being said, I am not asking for a 5D size R body but something in between. I realize I may not get the right specced camera which also fits my mitts. That's life.

Upvote 0
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but if the article was based on Canon's development announcement, then it doesn't look like we will get any new information out of the development announcement.

Yes, it's pretty light on details if it was based on the development announcement. I'm just hoping it was a preview of the announcement so the announcement has more specs in it :/

Upvote 0
Here's a side by side...
View attachment 188628
The fact that the "R5" font is different from the "R" font (which is identical on the R and RP) don't match is a bit of a flag for me. Overall it looks very real, but this feels like a photoshop combination of R and 5D design. I'm probably wrong, but just my gut feeling.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Please let there be something on the top left side of the body aside from that waste of space power on/off dial! Moar buttons & useful dials on that area please!
Not sure what's crazier, this page or the people freaking out online about casting choices for the new Dune movie!

• Haha
Upvote 0