Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
For the people hung up on the fact that the body is still not as big as a 5D, and thinks that it should be...

Expecting a mirrorless camera to come out that is just as chunky as a 5D when everyone else has miniaturized to one degree or another is just silly.

Respectfully disagree. I do appreciate your writeup, though.

Human hands didn't get smaller with the removal of the mirror. So while it's absolutely easier to carry a body -- broken down without a lens on it -- it is less enjoyable, less comfortable, less real estate for controls and dedicated buttons when actually using it.

So shrinking down every FF body because everyone it doing it is the behavior of lemmings. It implies a lack of insight on Canon's part to see that folks are headed to Sony for a dozen reasons other than size.

If Canon will have 4 or 5 lines of RF mount bodies, they would be foolish to not consider the unique ergonomic needs of each target user base.
There is no one body footprint to unite them all, and Canon playing that there might be surely seems like a cost containment / shared inventory move. And I honestly hope I'm wrong about that.

- A

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Looks like the rumored video specs will turn out to be correct. Then, interestingly, Tony Northrup (is so much into Sony IMHO that he) released a video saying 8K video rumor will most probably be FAKE. What's his problem? Or he knows stuff?
Controversy gets views and clicks which = $. Simple.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Looks like the rumored video specs will turn out to be correct. Then, interestingly, Tony Northrup (is so much into Sony IMHO that he) released a video saying 8K video rumor will most probably be FAKE. What's his problem? Or he knows stuff?
Can't blame the guy really. Just look at canon's track record. Do you ACTUALLY believe that they'd push out a 8K camera before Sony AND the most recent EOS C500, a $16,000 dollar cinema camera, doesn't even have 8K or IBIS?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What I’d like most on Canon MILCs is a hybrid EVF/screen viewing mode where you take the photo with the EVF, but the screen displays the photo (like on a DSLR). That and remove the EVF lag after photo taken
You can change that in the setting on the EOS R. I have it set to only display the photo on the rear lcd.

Upvote 0

Tony is a fine person, but he stopped being a fan of Canon a long time ago. He's all in for Sony now.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Good gravy, Tony is a nice man, but rumors are not his lane. I believe a one armed baseball player has a greater batting average than Tony does at nailing predictions.

- A

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Can't blame the guy really. Just look at canon's track record. Do you ACTUALLY believe that they'd push out a 8K camera before Sony AND the most recent EOS C500, a $16,000 dollar cinema camera, doesn't even have 8K or IBIS?
I know way less to strongly believe anything regarding this.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Human hands didn't get smaller with the removal of the mirror. So while it's absolutely easier to carry a body -- broken down without a lens on it -- it is less enjoyable, less comfortable, less real estate for controls and dedicated buttons when actually using it.

So shrinking down every FF body because everyone it doing it is the behavior of lemmings. It implies a lack of insight on Canon's part to see that folks are headed to Sony for a dozen reasons other than size.

If Canon will have 4 or 5 lines of RF mount bodies, they would be foolish to not consider the unique ergonomic needs of each target user base.
There is no one body footprint to unite them all, and Canon playing that there might be surely seems like a cost containment / shared inventory move. And I honestly hope I'm wrong about that.

- A
Honestly, more real estate on the back side would be nice, which means the grip could be bigger too. I am happy with the R grip, but find the rear side a little cramped.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
No word on stills resolution. A 1-1 8k image is around 33 megapixels, which would be a little underwhelming for is effectively the 5DmkIV successor

Well, I'm 100% sure the sensor is not going to have a native 16:9 aspect ratio. So ~40MP is the minimum requirement to shoot 8K video. 45MP if it's going to shoot 8192-pixel wide "Cinema" 8K. Which also happens to be the [CR3] figure.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
If only Canon thought of a solution for that. One that worked perfectly, had less expensive native lenses, gave access to dozens of great lenses that didn't have third party AF problems...
Good gravy, Tony is a nice man, but rumors are not his lane. I believe a one armed baseball player has a greater batting average than Tony does at nailing predictions.

- A

More importantly: He needs clicks ...

Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
5D Mark IV vs R5, alignment performed on sensor
It has to be expected that the R5 would be much smaller than the 5D IV. However, since the flange distance is longer on the 5D IV, it changes the perspective. The sensor on the 5d IV will appear slightly smaller than on the R5 at the same distance. Therefore, if you make the sensor size the same on superimposed images of both bodies, you slightly exaggerate the difference in sizes...

Upvote 0
No word on stills resolution. A 1-1 8k image is around 33 megapixels, which would be a little underwhelming for is effectively the 5DmkIV successor
Not necessarily - 33MP output for 1:1 8K readout is for a 16x9 readout, not the traditional 3x2 dimension of all full frame digital cameras sensors (to my knowledge). To keep the width needed for an 8K readout, but increasing resolution on the short end to match 3x2 dimension would be ~39MP I think. Then again, the previous rumour did say 45. I'd bet on a floor of 39MP up to that 45MP mark rumoured previously. We'll see!

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Controversy gets views and clicks which = $. Simple.

Plus, I'm sure at least one of his discussion points (crop modes for HFR 4K is super likely) will be right so he'll be able to claim he was "mostly right" and keep spinning tales about he's not a fanboy of any particular brand.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

I do -- if the fine print nerfs it down a bit. If it says '8K 30 fps is with no working AF for 15 seconds maximum before the bus sublimes into a supernova and incinerates you', it will likely be less compelling than the C500.

I see worlds of fine print bringing this camera back down to earth. But 45 x 12 mechanical is still 45 x 12 mechanical. 5D3 / 5D4 folks should be losing their s--- over that spec.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Why not? Canon was first with Full HD & 4K. Samsung already has 8K/30 on their latest Galaxy phones, no reason for Canon not to keep up with their track record.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

- A
Actually, he tossed out all his gear not too long ago and went all in on the EOS R ecosystem.

@6:50

we've sold off all of our Panasonic gear and and pretty much shoot exclusively with canon gear...over the next couple of weeks I'm going to be tearing out all of the fixed black magic cameras too

Last edited:
  • Wow
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Even in a world with focus peaking? Seems like getting peaking for the stopped down preview would be super helpful

My preference is the contrary. Focus peaking that says "almost everything is sorta in focus and I can't tell which is actually sharp" isn't as helpful to me as "THIS is what will be sharp." No one focuses with the lens stopped down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

- A
I have had my hands, albeit that they are large Merkan hands...on mirrorless Fuji's, Oly's, Sony's, Canons and Ricohs. (Sadly not Leicas) While I love my 5D3 ergonomics, I can go smaller, I actually would like the R5 WITH an L bracket attached to be the same size as a naked 5D body (that means without bracket) However, I might be an atypical user since I use handstraps 99% of the time. Rounded corners are lovely for that style of a hold. Button placement is paramount if I am spending thousands of dollars, the R felt weird to me, all those other brands felt either misplaced or cramped when it came to buttons and ergonomics.

Not everyone in the larger ML camp wants it to mimic the 5D series in size, the 6D would be nice or something close. But whatever they do, joystick, af trackball, AF ON, D Pad etc etc, put them where it's intuitive! (Basically, near where the thumbs rest)

Upvote 0