Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

ThruMyLens

Canon EOS 5DMIV
Feb 12, 2020
Canon could to a stepped pricing model, introduce it for $4500, rebate a month later, drop to $3500 after announcing the R6.

I see that as an unlikely scenario, but yes - possible.

I'm gloriously happy with my 5D Mark IV for my current purposes. It will be an exercise in self-discipline to see if I can wait until "refurbished" R5s starts showing up in the Canon Store. Black Friday could epic this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
At first, possibly, but the entire '45 MP x 20 fps = it punches back against everything!' notion may not hold water once we see the fine print. 20 fps shooting will not be 1DX3 like -- it just can't be.

I still think Canon is building up a rather segmented/purpose-built/targeted FF mirrorless platform. Until we see what else makes that initial structure of offerings, it's hard to know what products Canon will pit against the competition.

I still think a proper bonkers high-res stills rig is coming (think mirrorless 5DS2) and the R5 is simply the mirrorless 5D5, i.e. their 'pro all-arounder' / jack of all trades.

- A
I kind of think they're going to make some reasonable compromises in order to make this work - I could see dropping the bit rate or dropping AF entirely on high burst speeds. I don't think having 8K be external recording would be a dealbreaker either, but I'll bet it's without AF either way. I mean the 1DXIII has AF up to 30 fps at 5.5K raw, but loses AF beyond that frame rate, so they've shown they're still willing to accept compromise or two to get those video specs even higher.

That's not to say I think Canon is going to purposefully cripple the camera, I just think delivering all of that is a very tall order based on what we've seen so far. Canon has moved forward leaps and bounds recently, but there are still limitations on what's possible with today's tech, and frankly, some of the stuff they're including in the R5 were considered near impossible even just a couple weeks ago.

I'd be fine with those compromises to be fair.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm gloriously happy with my 5D Mark IV for my current purposes. It will be an exercise in self-discipline to see if I can wait until "refurbished" R5s starts showing up in the Canon Store. Black Friday could epic this year.

I could see myself finally retiring my 5D3 for an R5.

It ticks all the boxes I personally was waiting for:
  • More detail
  • More burst (comically so)
  • A 50mm prime that does not suck and can reliably focus wider than f/2 exists on that mount
  • IBIS
  • 5-series-ish thumbwheel
  • Pretty nice things my 5D3 never had: On chip ADC, DPAF, touch, tilty-flippy (ditto), MF lens assist tools through the viewfinder
So it's all there for me short of a proper chunky 5D body and control set. I am absolutely interested in this camera.

But I doubt I'd be an early adopter and pay initial asking. We have the money but I have to balance my desire to have new rig against my desire to take my current rig on a plane somewhere. Everything is a tradeoff. :)

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
From Canon USA Press Release:

Looks like the wait won't be long for a lot of details. At least we should know the type of cards and probably confirm the resolution. It will be interesting to see how fast and accurate the autofocus is. I hope it doesn't hunt and lose focus like the R. Otherwise that 500mm zoom won't be of much use to birders.

I take "preview" to suggest it will be behind a 1 inch thick glass case with thermal lasers wrapped around it and a squad of secret service agents on point. If people will actually be able to touch this thing and really examine it, I'll be amazed.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Checks most of the boxes for me. I’m not optimistic that I’ll be owning one of these in 2020 but I guess it could happen. The marketing speak on 8k is pretty fuzzy so I don’t think that’s settled yet. I don’t particularly want/need 8k so its fine with me if they sample down. Can’t wait to see some demos.
I have yet to have a single client ask me for 4k so that is the least interesting feature to me. 120fps at 1080 will get me what I want. I am really hoping for the 45MP though. I mix studio work and event photography - this might be the best all around camera ever made!

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Any guesses about the purpose of the "Rate" button on the upper left corner of the back?
The camera needs constant re-affirmation that it IS a good camera, so the "Rate" button allows the user to routinely coddle it by mashing the button as you shoot. Based on the amount of positivity you offer it, the R5 will shoot at faster and faster frame rates, eventually topping at 100fps while shooting in 32K at 20 bit RAW.

...or it might just be the old Rate button that lets you tag keeper images as you shoot.

Not sure. It's either one or the other

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
If you have:
  1. A Digic 8 or newer processor
  2. The DLO profile loaded into the camera (5 for R, 3 for RP, M6II, M50)
  3. The DLO corrections enabled
If you do all that, the JPGs will have DLO, but video and viewfinder will only have vignetting corrected. It's mentioned in the footnotes of the manual. I specifically looked it up before buying the M6II.
Thanks for replying. What do you mean by “3 for RP?” Three of what?

Upvote 0

Laslen

5D Mark III
Oct 18, 2014
The product listing (so far) says "Up to 12fps Mechanical" which "up to" hints to me there are probably some catches. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they differentiate it from the 1DX3, with crippled or no AF at the highest burst rates.

They need to give people a reason to still buy the 1DX3. They are a business, after all. It also mentions nothing about the 20fps electronic, yet.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
They need to give people a reason to still buy the 1DX3.

Spec sheets alone don't capture images. The 1DX3 does a jillion things that I'm sure (we will find out) the R5 cannot or will not. Besides the obvious build quality difference, 1DX3 will surely have menu options, customization features, communication protocols, and a greater degree of tuneability.

In short: The R5 may turn out to have more horsepower under the hood, but it probably doesn't drive as comfortably, as responsively, as reliably, and as efficiently.

I think the 1DX3 will do just fine.

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Any guesses about the purpose of the "Rate" button on the upper left corner of the back?

I need a rate button. On the 1Dx I programmed the button with the "key" icon to rate photos. It saves an incredible amount of time if, during lulls in the action (halftime, etc.), you can run through your photos and identify the ones that might be keepers. Sometimes after a key play, if I think I got something good, I immediately review the images to pick out the frame that looks best. I saves a lot of time later one. You can program the bar on the R to rate photos, but like everything with that damn bar it's very finicky and not reliable.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
There's tons. I regularly find myself using the app to figure out composition when I have my 5DIV on a tripod in very low or high or leaning over a railing positions and I hate it cause it's really slow and just an overall terrible experience. And I'd say a tilty-flippy screen would help in about 60-80 percent of these situations.
I was half-joking! Of course there are tons but - Murphy's Law - I didn't happen to need it since I got my EOS R. Funny thing is that I had needed it a few times when I was using 5D4 !!!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I need a rate button. On the 1Dx I programmed the button with the "key" icon to rate photos. It saves an incredible amount of time if, during lulls in the action (halftime, etc.), you can run through your photos and identify the ones that might be keepers. Sometimes after a key play, if I think I got something good, I immediately review the images to pick out the frame that looks best. I saves a lot of time later one. You can program the bar on the R to rate photos, but like everything with that damn bar it's very finicky and not reliable.
Yes that's what I sometimes do when I shoot birds.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
OK. here is a question. If you didn't know the name for this camera and someone gave you the specs(as we know them) and told you it was the flagship(1dx) equivalent. Would you be impressed or disappointed? And as such. What do you think this will mean for a future R1?I mean crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! How could they possibly improve enough over this to release an actual R1.

Well, if you likely wait a year and are willing to pony up $2K+ more than this R5, you may find out....
;)

Upvote 0